Tron Legacy (2010)

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Tron Legacy (2010)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm a fan of the original "TRON" and had some hopes for this - and the result is not as bad as some reviews would make you believe. This is a very visual film and the visuals are really good. The design references the original in a nice way; they even put in similar (but evolved) games as in 1982. Of course, TRON was full of gaudy colours; T:L is kept grey and black with few marker colours - but that fits the darker theme.

The story is more ambitious than in the original but that's the main shortcoming of the film. Concept-wise, this is a B-action-movie with good production values, but they tried to make a bit more out of it - call it the "P.J.'s King Kong - syndrome". T:L would really profit from tighter editing and a shorter running time, throwing the philosophical themes and quiet moments away. If you have female software running around in high heels, you are obviously in B-movie-land and should stay there.

Big surprise: As well as I liked the visuals, the one thing I liked most was the music. Being one of the older posters here, I had no idea who or what "Daft Punk" are, but the soundtrack is simply superb. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but it reminds me strongly of Philip Glass, especially his soundtrack for "Kooyanisqatsi". And if you liked T:L, give "Kooyanisqatsi" a try, it's a film without a story but visually brillant on a very similar level!

PS: What's up with all those Ducatis? Are they that aggressive into product placement or is there a deeper reason why those bikes always show up in the last years? I would have liked Sam riding something nostalgic, maybe even from '82 - the year of the original TRON!

This was dissapointing... the action was too tame for me and the story honestly bored me, it took me three nights to finish this because I kept falling asleep.But the visuals and the Daft Punk score were very good. I actually own the soundtrack and listen to it in my car sometimes. Oh and I thought Michael Sheen's over the top, campy performance was hilariously brilliant.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

Finally watched this last night on netflix and actually enjoyed it. Of course it's not the best movie of 2010 by any means, but it deserves much more recognition than it gets. Of course the score was fantastic. I enjoyed the story (haven't seen the original) and it's a nice looking movie.B/B+

Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 1

I loved it. They did a great job of making it a true sequel to the original and not ignoring it completely. The score was brilliant. It should have been nominated and won the Oscar for Best Score. Hell it should have been nominated for almost all the technical awards (Visual Effects, Costume Design, Art Decoration) the fact it wasn't is a travesty. The climax of this movie is just so rousing. I watch it over and overI want a sequel to this film SO BAD. I check movie sites every day for news.

• Like 4

Just watched this for the first time.

The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that this movie didn't get a Best Score Oscar Nomination. It's one of the greatest scores I've ever heard, together with The Social Network, Inception and a few others. The cinematography and the special effects were also great, and I'm pretty disappointed that I never watched this in theaters - the 3D would've been amazing.

Now, I agree with some. The story is confusing as it lacks in explaining a few things. I guess I need to watch the original Tron to understand a few things that remained unanswered.

In the end, yes, a great movie. A-

• Like 2

Dull and lifeless past the first 10 minutes in the Grid except Daft Punk's score that kept me quite awake but I had so much trouble getting to the end because the clunky one-liner story dragged and bored me to tears, almost coming at a stop in the middle. Totally forgettable and based on a washed up gimmick that mostly appeal to Apple fans (Neon blue on black background does not make enough of a fascinating world to explore for 2 hours).

F+.

Edited by dashrendar44

It's only disappointing in terms of how much more it could have been.  As it stands, it's a perfectly enjoyable romp with some decent father/son emotional resonance.  Coupled with the fantastic score and a subtle but very effective use of 3D for immersion rather than wow factor, and it made for one of my favorite movie going experiences of 2010.

I think Disney has really positioned themselves well for the next generation of fans if they can deliver a solid 3rd movie.  My kids (aged 6 & 7 at the time) saw TL first, both have since gotten hooked on the first as well, and loved the animated series.  They're psyched for another and it's been a treat watching them develop a childhood love of Tron just as I did.

It's only disappointing in terms of how much more it could have been.  As it stands, it's a perfectly enjoyable romp with some decent father/son emotional resonance.  Coupled with the fantastic score and a subtle but very effective use of 3D for immersion rather than wow factor, and it made for one of my favorite movie going experiences of 2010.

Well, "romp" is definitely a word I've not expected to hear when talking about TRON2 :lol:

movie is not perfect but I still really enjoy and hope one day a sequel happens. It's also a movie where the whole theatrical experience of it will definitely stick in my mind forever. I remember back in the winter of 2011 especially always listening to the score over and over again. The score might have actually inspired me in my day to day life! this scene makes me well up. The director I think is great at making these climactic type scenes as Oblivion had one as well.

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3