75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

20 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Even in the 90s you had movies like Pulp Fiction that caught the attention of a whole generation, that doesn't happen that much anymore. 

That's true, though Pulp was a very rare beast itself when it appeared. Beyond the blockbusters I guess the closest thing we have to that today is something like Wolf of Wall Street. (In the absolute best case scenario La La Land might get close, though being a romance instead of a bunch of cool guys with guns having profane conversations is already its disadvantage). And I think this is where TV has had an effect, for a story/dialogue/character-driven story it's easier to become a phenomenon there. See Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Why?

Well, the best movie ever already came out in 2016. :)

But I'm just guessing what these jaded old farts think about tentpoles.

Lego Batman: Maybe it's the next Zootopia. Great reviews + unexpectedly great word of mouth. I dunno.

Live-action Beauty and the Beast: The new Jungle Book, except you'll look less cool gushing about it.

Fast 8: I seriously forgot this movie was coming out so soon.

GOTG2: Maybe this one will shut up the cynics for a couple weeks.

Pirates 5: Fucking flop.

Spider-Man Homecoming: "It's just another teen comedy, but with Spider-Man!"

Dunkirk: B+

War for the Planet of the Apes: Don't know anything about this.

Alien: Covenant - Can you say Prometheus?

Blade Runner 2049: Not going to come close to making back its budget.

Thor: Ragnarok - Yay, another MCU movie.

Coco: The new, smaller Moana.

Star Wars VIII: Yeah, people will fall over themselves for this one.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 4

Planet of the Apes and Blade Runner I'm actively looking forward to. Them and Dunkirk. That's cause I trust the interesting filmmakers behind them to actually make them on their own terms.

I'm sure Fast 8, GOTG and Thor will be fun but I'm also sure I won't think about them much after they're out. Alien and Star Wars are more like wildcards for me. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

PULP FICTION "only" made 108m. From a box-office perspective, there's basically at least one indie/mini-major production ever year that does that. 

$200m in today's dollars. And it made the top 10 of its year. 

• Like 1

If I can join the tentpole argument, this season the only tentpoles I've really gotten a kick out of are Deadpool and all of the Idris Elba movies (well, except maybe Finding Dory, but I still really enjoyed it). The rest that I've seen thus far mainly fit into the "fun, but forgettable" category. But of course, I've never really had much interest in tentpole movies, even as a kid, minus a couple of franchises (Spider-Man, Potter, Pirates). When I got into high school, the only movies I cared about were the Oscarbaits, indies, and some of the cartoons, with only two or three big tentpoles grabbing my attention in a typical season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

If I can join the tentpole argument, this season the only tentpoles I've really gotten a kick out of are Deadpool and all of the Idris Elba movies (well, except maybe Finding Dory, but I still really enjoyed it). The rest that I've seen thus far mainly fit into the "fun, but forgettable" category. But of course, I've never really had much interest in tentpole movies, even as a kid, minus a couple of franchises (Spider-Man, Potter, Pirates). When I got into high school, the only movies I cared about were the Oscarbaits, indies, and some of the cartoons, with only two or three big tentpoles grabbing my attention in a typical season.

All the Idris Elba movies? Even the latest Star Trek?

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

@WrathOfHan OH GOD WHY :sadben:

Hide contents

Villain Farrell in Ray Velcoro mode slapping and verbally abusing Miller >>>>>>>>>>>>> Villain Depp with stupid blonde hair, ridiculous mortdecai mustache and horrendous white make up.

Spoiler

You have to admit though, that transformation scene was FUCKING HILARIOUS :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Jack Nevada said:

Exactly.

That's wonderful, Jack. I've always found you to be extremely intelligent, and it's really no surprise that the vast majority of films released today don't have an impact on you.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:
  Hide contents

You have to admit though, that transformation scene was FUCKING HILARIOUS :rofl: 

It was hilariously bad. I was all sadness and tears. No more Farrell. Because he was turning into a CGI Depp.

• Like 6

Just now, CJohn said:

Hide contents

It was hilariously bad. I was all sadness and tears. No more Farrell. Because he was turning into a CGI Depp.

Spoiler

There were some moments in the final fight where I was scared Farrell would die. I even murmured "DON'T KILL FARRELL!!!!!" The reveal was more than worth it.