75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There are years where I feel bad for movie critics but this year isn't one of them.

There were alot of "meh" movies but not too many "worse than eye cancer" movies like Fantastic Four or Mordecai. 

Independence Day was the worst thing Ive seenin a long time. I hate the Chipmunk movies with the fire of a thousand suns, but Id rather watch them all again than watch ID:2 again.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

If you've seen Fantastic Beasts....

Hide contents

I've been trying to think about what things from FB stuck out.  Like what didn't align with the potter universe.  The big one for me is the obscuras.  How in 7 years did we never hear of that.  Then I thought maybe as time passed it would have made sense that wizards didn't have to hide as much and therefore didn't suppress their magic (a la something like being a Jew in WW1.). But then I couldn't reconcile what happened to the obscuras from before ,what became of them? and then it hit me:  DEMENTORS!!!!  I've read the books many times over and I can't ever remember their origination being talked about.  Do you think obscuras become dementors? 

Except Rowling foreshadowed it.

If you have the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book, you will see that it was published by Obscurus Books. Also in the Deathly Hallows, Aberforth pretty much implied that Ariana herself was an obscurus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

Independence Day was the worst thing Ive seenin a long time. I hate the Chipmunk movies with the fire of a thousand suns, but Id rather watch them all again than watch ID:2 again.

Rewatched it today because the wife wanted to watch it when we saw it was available to rent on VOD. Man is it bad. Had completely forgot how bad it was. None of the actors have the least bit of charisma or acting talent, and the destruction in the movie just feels light, half the world is probably destroyed in the most sanitized manner. The White House blowing up in the first movie had more impact than Dubai falling on London.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Man, how do you screw that up?

The last 10 or so seconds in this trailer has about as much buildup to that moment as the actual movie does (the thumbnail of the video has about as much buildup as the movie gives this moment)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, laudemhirjan said:

Except Rowling foreshadowed it.

Hide contents

If you have the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book, you will see that it was published by Obscurus Books. Also in the Deathly Hallows, Aberforth pretty much implied that Ariana herself was an obscurus.

Spoiler

The Ariana part I had implied, but I don't catch the connection between OB and dementors.  I get that it's a foreshadowing of what they're called but im not seeing the dementor connection.

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The success of The Piano was also astounding. A period piece about a mute woman (mute by choice) grossing $140M WW in 1993. The problem is, this generation has no Harvey & Bob. 

This generation has Megan Ellison, who might be even better. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

This generation has Megan Ellison, who might be even better. 

Bob & Harvey were hustlers who started from the bottom as concert promoters and revolutionized the American indepdenent film movement (revolutionized is kind of an understatement since it didn't even really exist before them).

Megan's filthy rich dad wrote her (and her brother) multi-billion dollar checks to go make movies. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I say this without hesitation, Michael Bay and Zach Snyder seem to be the whipping boys du jour these days.  Neither has made a film that approached the sheer unmitigated awfulness of ID:2

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Bob & Harvey were hustlers who started from the bottom as concert promoters and revolutionized the American indepdenent film movement (revolutionized is kind of an understatement since it didn't even really exist before them).

Megan's filthy rich dad wrote her (and her brother) multi-billion dollar checks to go make movies. 

And yet, Bob and Harvey made a bunch of shitty movies also and were a nightmare to work for. Ellison has better taste (subjective, I know) and the good sense to find quality filmmakers and let them do their thing. Different eras, different strengths.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

To be fair, the market wasn't as hostile to smaller films then as it is now.

• Like 3