CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

lifetime. 

I know Villeneuve is not a commercial blockbuster director and lack a big success like Nolan with his batman movies, but I thought many western treat this as a special star wars movie with so many similar elements and some fresh stuff. And I couldn't image a "SW" movie do so poor. Or people just don't see this as that adventure?

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

General/Casual audience want emotions/story. The buzz around the film so far is how it is so strong technically, which is what film twitter cares about more, not general audience.

The buzz around the film is the scale and spectacle, which definitely attracts a wide audience. If people wanted "emotions" and "story", the highest grossing movie of all time would not be Avatar (or any blockbuster in fact).

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The buzz around the film is the scale and spectacle, which definitely attracts a wide audience. If people wanted "emotions" and "story", the highest grossing movie of all time would not be Avatar (or any blockbuster in fact).

OMG you couldn't be any more wrong.

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

OMG you couldn't be any more wrong.

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, I'm right. Do show me any piece of marketing that focuses on the "emotion". Everything focused on 3d and the spectacle of the film. 

Also, 2001 A Space Odyssey was a hit. 

I think both of you are right. Emotion is important, but the way to make audience be emotional through marketing material is not always just telling them I'm that kind of movie. They have to send the message by dazzling stuff. Big action sequence could be an effective approach in some cases. Dune's sequence is more focused on its weird tone like previous movies from the same director. Keep telling "we're family" is definitely a bad idea to be emotional(yeah, I'm saying F9).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Those are the movies that make money, Dune look no where close to that.

Dunno how you can say that after the latest trailer which sells us a movie who's story, on the surface, is not that dissimilar to Avatar's. You've got baddies exploiting a planet, you've got an outsider moving in and falling in love with a local and them fighting against the tyranny. Again, there's more to the story than that but it's what the trailer is suggesting to the uninitiated.

30 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The buzz around the film so far is how it is so strong technically

Dunno what buzz you are referring to. How a movie is connecting with the audience on an emotional level is really impossible to tell based on a few minutes of footage.

Dune is not 2001 A Space Odyssey type of a movie. It's a family story. I will repeat again - Herbert writing style is cold but the story is not. For example, he highlights parts of relationships that aren't warm, such as Jessica and Paul as mentor and Chosen One, or Leto and Paul as Duke and his heir. But that doesn't change the fact that they are loving parents and son and if the movie wants to emphasize that, it can, and going by the trailer, it does. So you will get emotion. There's also romance (Paul/Chani, Leto/Jessica), friendship (Atreides household, Stilgar, Kynes), sacrifices, so everything that makes movies emotional. Now if execution fails, it's a different matter but it won't be for lack of trying. There's awareness on film-makers part that this has to be relatable. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Those are the movies that make money, Dune look no where close to that. IMO Dune audience are of 2001: Space Odyssey not Star Wars.

Interesting that you'd say that, because one of the most common responses I've seen to the trailer is "that looks like Star Wars (along with "that looks like a really expensive movie" and "it has an insane cast").