CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

It is so bizarre that WB is simultaneously sending this movie around the world on the awards-season/film festival circuit that is promoting the movie and also the IMAX release, while also planning to release it same-day on HBO Max/pissing off the director.

Are HBO Max subscribers going to unsubscribe if they can't see the movie for 30 days? Lol. It's so silly.

Edited by Derpity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Derpity said:

It is so bizarre that WB is simultaneously sending this movie around the world on the awards-season/film festival circuit that is promoting the movie and also the IMAX release, while also planning to release it same-day on HBO Max/pissing off the director.

Are HBO Max subscribers going to unsubscribe if they can't see the movie for 30 days? Lol. It's so silly.

You can thank the AT&T overlords.  WB had nothing to do with it.  They were as blindsided as anyone.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derpity said:

It really isn't. WB wants awards and boxoffice is no more a deal breaker there cause they can easily blame any underperformance on covid since it's assumed/unwritten rule now, while reporting whatever numbers/Top of the chart for their streaming (it isn't like anyone can check them for accuracy including that Samba TV that's often quoted). So everything is "did what it could under circumstances" back tap for participation. 

Re: Zhao's praise. Eh, Edgar Wright praised Annette too. Many times one director praises the other director's work that then doesn't connect with audience/critics/awards/all. Not saying this is the case with Dune just that it doesn't mean much. It's a personal opinion, not a sign of general public reception. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Re: Zhao's praise. Eh, Edgar Wright praised Annette too. Many times one director praises the other director's work that then doesn't connect with audience/critics/awards/all. Not saying this is the case with Dune just that it doesn't mean much. It's a personal opinion, not a sign of general public reception. 

I agree with you on principal, but I have to point out that the Sparks brothers worked on Annette (and obviously Wright is a huge fan, so he's gonna be biased), and what he actually said was:

“When I first met Ron & Russell Mael of @sparksofficial for breakfast in 2015, they talked excitedly about a film they had conceived that was hopefully to be directed by Leos Carax,” Edgar Wright said on Twitter on Thursday. “Yesterday, I saw the finished opus. It was just as bold and brilliant as I dreamt it might be.”

He added, “‘Annette’ is a cinematic opera; as wildly ambitious, funny, poignant, tragic & formally bonkers as you would hope the union of Carax and Sparks would be. The cast, Adam Driver, Marion Cotillard, Simon Helberg, are all sublime. Can’t wait to see it again.”

Bold, ambitious and bonkers doesn't really scream GA appeal, and as far as I can tell that's a fair description of the movie.

I agree with you. I'm just saying that I don't read tea leaves from "director praises another director's movie" any more than I read them from "cast member says movie he's in is the best he's ever worked on". They are not your average moviegoers so, while their opinion can overlap, that isn't guaranteed. So no value for boxoffice prospect. @Last Man Standing

Edited by Valonqar

On 8/11/2021 at 10:04 PM, Derpity said:

It doesn't even seem like they're doing a 7 day run up for DGA contention, which hurts Villeneuves Oscars chances since the DGA is (I believe) who votes on the Oscars for Director

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It doesn't even seem like they're doing a 7 day run up for DGA contention, which hurts Villeneuves Oscars chances since the DGA is (I believe) who votes on the Oscars for Director

Actually no. Director's Branch votes for Director and they don't completely overlap with DGA, which is why Best Director nominations rarely go 5/5 with DGA nominees. So lets say Villeneuve misses DGA because he's ineligible, he could easily make a comeback at the Oscars.