CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I think it's hilarious that Villeneuve didn't get nominated.  It's clear that the Academy has the same skepticism towards him as they do Nolan.  All the technical work/merits for the are top-notch, so they were awarded -- but I also wouldn't nominate a Director who only tells half-a-story.  

Villeneuve and Nolan are tied in terms of Director nominations with one each (with the former scoring his before the latter despite the latter being a prominent name for much longer). I stand by the notion that his snub today is because everyone knows Part 2 is coming and will just acknowledge his work on these movies then.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Villeneuve and Nolan are tied in terms of Director nominations with one each (with the former scoring his before the latter despite the latter being a prominent name for much longer). I stand by the notion that his snub today is because everyone knows Part 2 is coming and will just acknowledge his work on these movies then.

That's more likely, yeah.  The Lord of the Rings-factor.  

3 minutes ago, Melosh said:

Villeneuve’s snub seems simple to me,the academy tends to nominate the director for the film that has a higher chance of winning best picture (like if there were just five nominees.)and dunes chances relative to the others is not as high.

I would say Dune has a better shot of winning BP than two of the BD nominees.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I would say Dune has a better shot of winning BP than two of the BD nominees.

Hmm you mean “Drive my car” and “Licorice pizza”? Interesting,perhaps the academy is signaling a higher chance for both at this point. 

10 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Dune did some IMAX rerun 2 weeks ago and that only made 100k+. How can expansion this round add 1m that Dune need to pass 400m worldwide?

It's still playing OS which is how it got within 600K from 400M. It's happening. Dom isn't the only market. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 10:40 AM, filmlover said:

Coincidentally, dune is the most nominated movie without its director having nominated at 10, this can be a record too.  Last time a movie was this heavily nominated across the board but the director was snub is actually Nolan for inception. Both director are considered pretty locked at one point but left out eventually.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I could be wrong but I believe the last time a film with 10 or more nominations went without a Best Director nod was ironically Spielberg's The Color Purple with 11 noms. That might take the cake for #1 all-time too.

Even more irony, both year feature a Japanese director for their Japanese film. Kurosawa for ran and hamaguchi for DMC

On 2/9/2022 at 4:07 AM, Borobudur said:

Dune did some IMAX rerun 2 weeks ago and that only made 100k+. How can expansion this round add 1m that Dune need to pass 400m worldwide?

Because there are also other countries apart from yours... 

How much can a winner-of-5-technical-oscars-dune make in a hypothetical post-oscar re-release?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator