CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Just now, terrestrial said:

Duncan is based in the Irish name Donnchadh, meaning brown warrior, dark warrior, or dark-haired warrior, brown chieftain/noble.... 

Just remembered that bcs Duncan MacLoad / Connor MacLoad in Highlander movie and TV-series, I found it always funny that he got an Irish name as a Scotsman

But it was matching there too, as Duncan MacLoad was 'dark' in comparison to Connor.

What was a bit unbelievable was the use of the name Connor, as that also is an Irish name and at the time of Connor's birth I do not think a simple family has a reason to give him an Irish name.

Highlander FTW.  They never cared much about accuracy in casting or in the sequels...but the TV show was great storytelling in its good moments.  I'm a big fan...you can probably tell...😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Highlander FTW.  They never cared much about accuracy in casting or in the sequels...but the TV show was great storytelling in its good moments.  I'm a big fan...you can probably tell...😉

I am a huge sword fight fan. I saw every episode and all extras, all show fights I found in the net see conventions and so on also The Raven (I preferred Highlander)

Loved the fights with Anthony De Longis (see Duende and Blackmail)

(and I always write the family name wrong for unknown to me reasons)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@terrestrial that's an interesting trivia. :)

I nearly named my son Duncan as a 2nd first name (not because if the series), but I checked the meaning and as it is not matching I didn't pick it 😉 hence the reason I never forgot what it means.

28 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I nearly named my son Duncan as a 2nd first name (not because if the series), but I checked the meaning and as it is not matching I didn't pick it 😉 hence the reason I never forgot what it means.

ha, ha, plot thickens. ;)

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, Steele131 said:

You don’t need star power anymore. It’s a myth. Unless it’s the Rock audiences don’t really care

Yeah but these three actors particularly have 0 draw pretty much. Apart from the franchises they've joined, none of them have had actual hits. I think. 

9 hours ago, Avatree said:

Yeah but these three actors particularly have 0 draw pretty much. Apart from the franchises they've joined, none of them have had actual hits. I think. 

Charlotte Rampling had worked in different European countries and the US, with rather famous directors, in partly very strongly discussed movies. She should be helpful in Italy, France and UK a bit (for the older audience) as she managed to stay in the business for a, especially for a female, very long time. I think she has a name in the US too

Did also genre recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Rampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Charlotte_Rampling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Rampling_filmography

Stellan Skarsgård had some iconic roles (MCU, PotC, Mama Mia, King Arthur,...), is in my opinion very respected, should too bring in some interest in Europe and...

very wide spread audience.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellan_Skarsgård

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=stellanskarsgard.htm

Rebecca Ferguson made a name for herself e.g. with Mission Impossible, I doubt those movies can be called 'not successful'. She could interest a bit action fans based on those, Hecules (the version with The Rock), but also fans of material she won also awards for.

Plus audience / fans of The Greatest Showman (Musical), Life (Horror),...

For her age that's not a bad spread of different audiences

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=rebeccaferguson.htm

Dave Bautista brings in maybe a bit the Philippines, Greece, MCU fans, Bond fans, Bade Runner... maybe even some sport fans. Not thinking in huge numbers, but a bit of awareness. What is usually a first step to get people into looking into a film's summary

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=davbautista.htm

Timothée Chalamet, I think I have nothing seen with him in it, but he has an impressive award / recognition amount for his age, as such I guess he too will bring in some people.

Usually I do not look that much for award reputation... but:

Dune has a mixed audience following in a way, at least the Lynch version here has in my circle of friends, so ppl usually not watching genre might actually watch it / try it

I think it will mostly depend on production value, interesting trailer, advertisement, the right date,.... all what might add a bit for an earlier awareness might help here too.

edit to add

forgot Oscar Isaac's detailsm to stay short, only BOM

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=oscarisaac.htm

Edited by terrestrial

@terrestrial I was just referring to the actors mentioned. But i'd still say its not a great cast in terms of audience interest, maybe with exception of King Stellan.

Clearly a talented cast all around (excepting Ferguson) but still, I do think you need bigger actors for expensive films like this which are fighting an uphill battle to begin with.

I personally have no interest in this either way despite the source material, just because of the director and I have hated all his movies. just think they don't do themselves any favours by casting those actors.

• Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

@terrestrial I was just referring to the actors mentioned. But i'd still say its not a great cast in terms of audience interest, maybe with exception of King Stellan.

Clearly a talented cast all around (excepting Ferguson) but still, I do think you need bigger actors for expensive films like this which are fighting an uphill battle to begin with.

I personally have no interest in this either way despite the source material, just because of the director and I have hated all his movies. just think they don't do themselves any favours by casting those actors.

25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think it will mostly depend on production value, interesting trailer, advertisement, the right date,.... all what might add a bit for an earlier awareness might help here too.

based on studio,.... I think buzz .... will be very important for how much will be spend advertisement and who will do it.

I do not think there is an actor 'big' enough who is qualified to be in that cast and 'able' to fullfill your POV

I am not a big believer for 'name brings general audience' anyway (actual times, only a few, depends on...)

19 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

And yet Matt Damon couldn't save The Great Wall, Downsizing or Surburbicon from sinking.

Because none of those had interesting audience friendly concepts or were based on previous critically acclaimed material. By your analogy, The Martian and the Bourne films should’ve sunk. 

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Agree.

Plus, I do not think both of them would match for the project and / or the suggested role.

Understandable, but neither would Oscar Isaac or even Dave Bautista.

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I am a huge sword fight fan. I saw every episode and all extras, all show fights I found in the net see conventions and so on also The Raven (I preferred Highlander)

Loved the fights with Anthony De Longis (see Duende and Blackmail)

(and I always write the family name wrong for unknown to me reasons)

Yeah, great.  I went to the big cast/crew reunion in L.A. in 2017.  Were you there?  Was great to interact with all of the people involved on a fairly intimate scale...which they think will be one of the last times all of them are together like that.  

DeLongis is great (his wife is a wonderful person, too).  He also trained Michelle Pfeiffer how to use her bullwhip for Catwoman, for anyone else reading...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Understandable, but neither would Oscar Isaac or even Dave Bautista.

Dave Bautista wont play Leto, might be a match for the Beast

The one detail about Oscar Isaac I am sceptical about is his age. Not only as the Father, but also based on the ~ wariness, the experience Lord Leto brings in at the time they move.

Have not seen him in a ~ quiet strength role (as I imagine the character, probably based on Jürgen Prochnow's interpretation) beside in Bourne Legacy, but that was a very much other kind of role

Isaac will be probably only a few years younger at the time of release in comparison, but Prochnow brought a lot of 'life's weight' into the role that I seldom see a young-ish / young for the character.... actor deliver

What makes me optimistic is, he seems to be able to play very different characters, not only playing himself as so many seem to do / only able to do.

And maybe being able to bring a bit more warmth to the role, that was, what I missed a bit then.

He was a military kind of character, but for the strength of the feelings of the ~ wife and son, and... to him I think it can be a change of appearances depending on being in a private setting or official or diplomatic...

So if he gets the role, I am optimistic

27 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yeah, great.  I went to the big cast/crew reunion in L.A. in 2017.  Were you there?  Was great to interact with all of the people involved on a fairly intimate scale...which they think will be one of the last times all of them are together like that.  

DeLongis is great (his wife is a wonderful person, too).  He also trained Michelle Pfeiffer how to use her bullwhip for Catwoman, for anyone else reading...

Never was in the US / the American continent, never at a convention,.... I have a busy life, with 1 or 2 days time in between, but to visit another continent I'd like to see the countries there too, that needs a lot of time