CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Jackman has the X factor which helped greatly in accepting him as Wolverine despite height difference. No such thing on shorty Isaac's side, but then again, Duke isn't a stand out character so it won't matter. Jessica, Paul, Stilgar, Baron, Alia, Feyd-Rautha and Helen are what counts. I'm most interested in how they'll handle Alia. They'll have to choose older actress as 2 years old can't possibly work. And please no experiment like this:

twilight-animatronic-baby.png?w=522

Edited by Valonqar

58 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Did you ever work on material with her or know....

As she seems to have done mostly material for teens I am curious why you think so.

I haven't worked with her. But my experience is that all the kids who come up through the Disney/Nick ranks (and star in multiple shows) are really talented. Sure, those shows aren't exactly about nuance and everything gets cranked up to 11 but that's just the style of the shows. I'm not saying she's the only great choice or anything but she's got a lot of talent, she's age appropriate, and she fits the "ambiguously ethnic" range that they seem to be targeting with the Fremen.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Jackman has the X factor which helped greatly in accepting him as Wolverine despite height difference. No such thing on shorty Isaac's side...

Your anti-Isaac stance is hilarious. Putting that aside, what does "X factor" mean other than you like Jackman and you don't like Isaac? Because I assure you, many people think Isaac has just as much X factor as Jackman.

The internet freaked out when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman. They freaked out when Jackman was cast as Wolverine. They really freaked out when the Jackman costume pics leaked.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Your anti-Isaac stance is hilarious. Putting that aside, what does "X factor" mean other than you like Jackman and you don't like Isaac? Because I assure you, many people think Isaac has just as much X factor as Jackman.

The internet freaked out when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman. They freaked out when Jackman was cast as Wolverine. They really freaked out when the Jackman costume pics leaked.

Objectively speaking, Isaac headlined several movies and they all tanked so looks like even his Internet worshippers aren't showing up for him. So it isn't my opinion whether he has X Factor or not, he legit can't open a movie so answer is no he does not have it. jackman actually opened some. he isn't consistent as some other actors but he can open with the right material.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Objectively speaking, Isaac headlined several movies and they all tanked so looks like even his Internet worshippers aren't showing up for him. So it isn't my opinion whether he has X Factor or not, he legit can't open a movie so answer is no he does not have it. jackman actually opened some. he isn't consistent as some other actors but he can open with the right material.

You're not being objective in the slightest! :lol: At the time of X-MEN, Jackman was a total unknown. Retroactively claiming a bunch of hits means he was right for the role is silly. You're also conveniently ignoring the giant hits that Isaac has been a part of. He doesn't have to carry DUNE any more than he did for Star Wars or Chris Pratt for Jurassic World or any number of other examples.

I mean, I get you don't care for him as an actor, that's fine -- we all have actors we can't stand. But please stop claiming your opinion of him is any sort of objective truth.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Isn't X-Factor a strange talent show at Youtube?

Ohh yes, that was funny, a comedian getting cast for an ~ earnest / quiet appearing SH, what a 'crime'!

What speaks for that actress is, I think actresses / actors who also sing and dance are often better suited for action / fight scenes. Chani is an excellent fighter, so I hope this counts in this case too (I read up the last hour or two, not only about her).

Edited by terrestrial

You're not being objective in the slightest! :lol: At the time of X-MEN, Jackman was a total unknown. Retroactively claiming a bunch of hits means he was right for the role is silly. You're also conveniently ignoring the giant hits that Isaac has been a part of. He doesn't have to carry DUNE any more than he did for Star Wars or Chris Pratt for Jurassic World or any number of other examples.

I mean, I get you don't care for him as an actor, that's fine -- we all have actors we can't stand. But please stop claiming your opinion of him is any sort of objective truth.

I agree with bolded. I overstepped it so I apologize. However, I disagree with the rest. Isaac lucking out with being cast in big franchises has nothing to do with his drawing power. Poe toys are peg warmers so that's that. I'm pointing out that SW exposure didn't do shit for his boxoffice power in movies that he headlined and that flopped. At least Jackman managed to open some movies on his fame as Wolverine. But anyway, we are not going to agree and that's fine and I'm gonna drop complaints against both Isaac and Zendaya casting cause those roles are not crucial for Dune success. Characters that are the main attraction are perfectly cast and that's all that matters. Bigger concern is what they'll do with Alia. Like I said, cast older, don't try Renesemee BS.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Reminds me about the time so many ppl where angry bcs Hugh Jackman's height is too high for being able to play Wolverine....

What does that have to do with anything? Does that mean you can't criticize any casting ever?

41 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Again that is CBM fans complaining that "it doesn't look like in the comics!!!", an obviously stupid reaction that doesn't have anything to do with the adaptation of a novel.

Edited by MrGlass2

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I disagree with the rest. Isaac lucking out with being cast in big franchises has nothing to do with his drawing power. Poe toys are peg warmers so that's that. I'm pointing out that SW exposure didn't do shit for his boxoffice power in movies that he headlined and that flopped. At least Jackman managed to open some movies on his fame as Wolverine.

How exactly did he "luck out"? He was chosen by casting directors and directors because he's a talented dude! :) I really object to "drawing power" (whatever that means in this day and age) being equated with legitimacy and worthiness of being part of a headlined cast.

I guess my last point on this is that Jackman chose to do audience-friendly "bigger" movies after X-MEN and Isaac has for the most part chosen more idiosyncratic, independent roles. Nothing wrong with either approach, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Again that is CBM fans complaining that "it doesn't look like in the comics!!!", an obviously stupid reaction that doesn't have anything to do with the adaptation of a novel.

Those kind of reactions go way beyond CBM stuff, though. People ranted about the LOTR casting. People raged about Samuel L. Jackson getting cast as Nick Fury. They ranted about various choices in the HUNGER GAMES movies. Any big franchise has has its share of fans being convinced the roles have been cast badly only to change their minds once they see the actors actually, well, acting. :rofl: 

• Like 1

Those kind of reactions go way beyond CBM stuff, though. People ranted about the LOTR casting. People raged about Samuel L. Jackson getting cast as Nick Fury. They ranted about various choices in the HUNGER GAMES movies. Any big franchise has has its share of fans being convinced the roles have been cast badly only to change their minds once they see the actors actually, well, acting. :rofl: 

So all casting in big franchises is always perfect?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So all casting in big franchises is always perfect?

In general it could be fair to say that the people that took the decision (very often after many audition and filmed test footage with the makeup/costume) that know way more about the projects and the performer are much better judge than outside observer.

Specially when they are not big names casted (usually meaning they saw hundreds and tried 10-20 people for the role), one should consider trusting Villeneuve judgment much more than is own at this point. Same would go for the x time people go one about some Nolan casting, would it be Ledger, McConaughey or the pop star in Dunkirk, at this point just assume he known movies and what is doing more than you when you doubt is decision, enough to wait and see at least.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1