CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Dune has an incredibly hardcore fanbase. The general synopsis of the novel reflects this millennia in ways that not many other popular novels were able to achieve. I tried to read Lord of the Rings and found it boring, but that doesn't mean many people share my sentiments.

Thanks for the explanation. The part about it reflecting this millenia (millennium?) is interesting, I guess I might check it out.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

I think that for a movie to be an "epic", which seems to be Dune's aim, it needs these elements:

1- Amazing visual quality, with a distinctive look either in production design (think Hobbiton or Rivendell from LOTR) costumes ( Coppola's Bran Stoker Dracula comes to mind, or that green dress from Gone With the Wind) make up and hairstyling (Leia iconic Buns or Jack Sparrow's whole look). 

So far, We have only got a glimpse at costumes and make-up/hairstyle, yet nothing stands out.

2- A mesmerizing musical score: what would Gone with the Wind's  "as god is my witness" be without Tara's theme? Or Pirates of the carribean without the iconic "he's a Pirate"? Lord of the Rings has an incredible soundtrack, that sets the tone right from the beginning and goes from spooky to heartwarming.

3- A sense of novelty in its plot, either elements of it or the whole concept. Matrix and  Blade runner had it in the concept, while Harry potter had some genious ideas throughout (the talking hat, moving stairs, quidditch). Is there something "new" and unprecedented for Dune to offer? I haven't read the book, so I have no clue, but some of you could certainly inform me.

If Dune will be lacking one of those three elements, it might end up as a movie that film twitter and some cinephiles love, but won't stick with the general public, much like Blade Runner 2049, which literally had none of these 3 key factors working for it (one could make a case for the production design, but even the most impressive set looked derivative from past greats such as planet of the apes)

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

What is it with some people already writing off a movie before even seeing one frame of a trailer? The internet is full of smarty-pants...

Some people have an axe to grind against this movie for some reason and that started way before images popped up. How long has it been since they predicted it to flop and some even root for Eternals to take its Xmas slot. Even after Eternals got February 2021 date. It's really depressing coming to this thread and worrying whether it's going to be a news, something constructive or more "bombs away". Oh and lets not forget people who never read the book lecturing everyone who did what the movie should be about and who it must appeal to (kids and pre-teens). Sigh, somehow trolls have returned. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Some people have an axe to grind against this movie for some reason and that started way before images popped up. How long has it been since they predicted it to flop and some even root for Eternals to take its Xmas slot. Even after Eternals got February 2021 date. It's really depressing coming to this thread and worrying whether it's going to be a news, something constructive or more "bombs away". Oh and lets not forget people who never read the book lecturing everyone who did what the movie should be about and who it must appeal to (kids and pre-teens). Sigh, somehow trolls have returned. 

You telling me you somehow don't enjoy CBM fanbase-like discussions leaking into every thread on film? 

It has begun

Timothee-Chalamet-Kylo-Ren-Dune-edit.jpg

They are not saying that DUNC looks like SW just that Timmy looks like young KR and they are excited about it. It's all good, folks. DUNC can count on Chalamoms, Aquamoms, Kylomoms and Zendaya instafans. :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Oh and lets not forget people who never read the book lecturing everyone who did what the movie should be about and who it must appeal to (kids and pre-teens).

This post gave me bad 2016 memories. :ph34r:

-

I have to admit the Dune pictures look way more generic and unoriginal than I am expecting from the film's visuals, but that doesn't change my excitement or mean the film won't have amazing visuals. I'm very confident not only in the movie's quality but also on its box office potential. We will have a better idea once we see the first trailer, don't write it off yet.

It's hard to Dune to look original cause various other properties lifted its look, story outline, etc. mecha costumes now look like something out of Pacific Rim or other movie even though design was described in the novel. Ditto desert planet that SW popularized.

That said, I have faith in the strong material and split in 2 becasue that's the right way to do it. I also expect longer timejump than 2-3 years (in the movie not between movies) because they'll have to cast at least 5 years old Alia for the second movie. A younger actress wouldn't be able to pull off a menatlly fully grown adult that looks like a child. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

These are not movie stills. They are photos of the some of the cast in costume in location shooting. They hardly show the set design either. So I really don't see how you can make any judgements, good or bad, about its visual flair. The stillsuits, for one, look spot on

18 hours ago, RealLyre said:

the director is very hot as well 

And his movies don't make much money.  Average Joe-Q doesn't know or care who this guy is.  Film Fans know they can get whatever Villeneuve delivers from classic Ridley Scott.  At present (yes, we haven't really *seen* anything film-wise), my estimation is that DUNE performs about as well as his other films, at best.  At worst, well... I just think it's telling that Villeneuve keeps talking about how adamant he is that he wouldn't do the first novel in one movie -- but Warner Bros. has not committed publicly to anything about a second film. 

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

At present (yes, we haven't really *seen* anything film-wise), my estimation is that DUNE performs about as well as his other films, at best.  At worst, well... I just think it's telling that Villeneuve keeps talking about how adamant he is that he wouldn't do the first novel in one movie -- but Warner Bros. has not committed publicly to anything about a second film. 

Doesn't make much sense. Why would it do as well as his other movies AT BEST? If you believe it will underperform, fine, but not seeing any way this could do more than his other projects is just ridiculous. For one, his other movies weren't supposed to be "epics", even Blade Runner was at the end of the day a film noir, a detective story.

As for the studio not committing to a sequel, they rarely do. Ultimately, it is a risky proposition, it's big budget and unproven. Doesn't mean they have no faith.