CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

9 hours ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I agree with you. My point of comparison wasn't any ethical/moral clarity, but that both books contain a ton of characters and occasionally labyrinthian cultural/historical references that could be overwhelming to a viewer. I felt Peter Jackson did a great job of suggesting and hinting at a rich, detailed, lived-in universe filled with history, but only hit key points that pertained to the actual story unfolding. I feel like that approach could work for DUNE as well.

At this point, I think audiences are well-prepared to accept occasional moral ambiguity from their protagonists. And I think -- at least in terms of the first novel -- that the DUNE story unfolds in a relatively clear way. If we start getting into GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE, then yeah, I have a hard time seeing how that could work. :lol: 

You say but look how whiny everyone is getting over Passengers and the questionable decision made in the film by Chris Pratt's character.

1 minute ago, UTJeff said:

You say but look how whiny everyone is getting over Passengers and the questionable decision made in the film by Chris Pratt's character.

I can't comment specifically on it since I haven't seen the movie, but my bet is that the issue isn't necessarily the decision, but how it (and the fallout) are portrayed. As a counter, look at all the recent war movies in the last 20-30 years that show soldiers committing morally questionable actions.

Again, I think some of our on-going conversation is because I'm thinking primarily of the first book -- arguably the most accessible -- and you're looking at the whole Herbert-authored saga (I think, right?).

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I can't comment specifically on it since I haven't seen the movie, but my bet is that the issue isn't necessarily the decision, but how it (and the fallout) are portrayed. As a counter, look at all the recent war movies in the last 20-30 years that show soldiers committing morally questionable actions.

Again, I think some of our on-going conversation is because I'm thinking primarily of the first book -- arguably the most accessible -- and you're looking at the whole Herbert-authored saga (I think, right?).

I think war movies are a little different though.  And now we live in this PC, safe-space, trigger-leery culture.

7 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

I think war movies are a little different though.  And now we live in this PC, safe-space, trigger-leery culture.

But DUNE's kind of a war movie too. Sometimes a proxy war, sometimes a political war, but sometimes an out-and-out fighting war too. 

Anyways, I guess we'll see how it all shakes out. It's quite possible they skirt their way around some of the more problematic areas.

On 12/21/2016 at 6:26 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Three major sci-fi movies in a row, two of them huge nerd properties, the man really is gonna have as many insufferable fanboys as Nolan does now. Ah, the passage of time. And some of us are gonna be there stubbornly arguing that Enemy and Sicario are still his best work, dammit.

I thought you liked me Jake :sadben:

• Like 3