CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Roth writing the script (although his script was edited down since it was 200 pages long) is a great omen. About Villeneuve, I haven't seen anything prior to Prisoners (or Enemy, only one I don't like), but he is a truly great director but I agree his films are pretty cold, but then again, the source material dictates that. Until he does a film that requires warmth, and emotion (2049 had some of that, but it's rather distant), well, we won't know. 

Dune isn't void of emotion and warmth, it's just that material isn't interested in emphasizing it. but scenes between Paul/Duke, Paul/Jessica, Jessica/Duke, Paul/Chani, Paul/Stilgar, Jessica/Alia, etc can be played with warm and affection in the movie, instead of the stilted way that keeps characters at arm's length in the book. You get the sense that characters care for each other but the way it's written isn't endearing. But if actors are instructed to be endearing and play it more like real people and the script works around stilted philosophical dialog to make it more like how people actually talk, the movie should be accessible. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival all made money. Let's stop this narrative that his movies have all been flops or some BS. Blade Runner 2049 was his first financial disappointment. 

Those 3 movies had budgets under 50M. So that only proves that DV style appeals to limited audience and therefore giving him big budget isn't a good idea. All his successes had budgets  30M, 46M and 47M respectively and made 84M, 122M and 203M worldwide. That's good to very good for low budget but terrible for 150M budget. BR2049 made 259M so only 56M more than Arrival but for over triple the budget. 

probably should never have given such a high budget to a sequel of a known flop anyways, no matter how critically acclaimed it was. In fact, the fact that it flopped despite critical acclaim was probably an even worse sign.

I won't complain though, it was one of the best films of the decade 

4 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

probably should never have given such a high budget to a sequel of a known flop anyways, no matter how critically acclaimed it was. In fact, the fact that it flopped despite critical acclaim was probably an even worse sign.

I won't complain though, it was one of the best films of the decade 

And this is why financiers occasionally spend a ton of money on something that probably won't make it back.

Fury Road was one of the most crippled movie technically of the last ten years.

Horrible piss yellow post processed photography, laughable,incompetent ADR & so so vfx.

Watching the movie sweeping the tech awards was a particularly sweet shitshow to me.

Miller s wife salvaged the movie in the editing room.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Horrible piss yellow post processed photography, laughable,incompetent ADR & so so vfx.

Watching the movie sweeping the tech awards was a particularly sweet shitshow to me.

It’s amazing how consistently you manage to have the worst possible take on anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You sound delusional like the people that think that editors know less editing/what an editor do/when are they good or not than them because they nominated BR or that Green Book isn't a well crafted movie.

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

And this is why financiers occasionally spend a ton of money on something that probably won't make it back.

Maybe though financiers aren't the only ones who lose.  Alcon was hoping for success and a franchise and leveraged the future growth and stability of their company for it.  

Alcon also declined to comment, including as to what Blade Runner's performance means for the company, founded 20 years ago by producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson after convincing FedEx founder Fred Smith to go into business with them and set up shop in Hollywood. The duo, along with Smith, remain the sole shareholders in the production company. After largely subsisting on midrange movies, Blade Runner 2049 was intended to transform Alcon by giving it a franchise.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-losses-could-hit-80-million-producer-alcon-1055855

Alcon Entertainment, having been hit with significant losses due to the muted box-office performance of Blade Runner 2049, said Friday that it is instituting a round of layoffs. The company did not reveal how many employees will be affected, although according to sources the number is expected to be fewer than 10. Alcon characterized the move as a modest streamlining and consolidation of its operations to become more efficient.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alcon-entertainment-hit-by-layoffs-1083469

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Those 3 movies had budgets under 50M. So that only proves that DV style appeals to limited audience and therefore giving him big budget isn't a good idea. All his successes had budgets  30M, 46M and 47M respectively and made 84M, 122M and 203M worldwide. That's good to very good for low budget but terrible for 150M budget. BR2049 made 259M so only 56M more than Arrival but for over triple the budget. 

I’ve seen many bad takes from you in the past, but this just might be your worst.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, tonytr87 said:

Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival all made money. Let's stop this narrative that his movies have all been flops or some BS. Blade Runner 2049 was his first financial disappointment. 

And it was his first big budget movie. I very much likeVillenueve as a filmmaker,but don't know if he is the kind of director that can pull off..at least from a box office point of view...a huge blockbuster.

sci-fi movie based on sci-fi novel when they did not make a lot of movies.  

Dune holds a lot of societal value from this,

will the new movie reflect off the feeling of the old movie like they did with Blade Runner?

i'm guessing so since they make so many movies now, it would be cheap to recycle this to Dora: City of Gold levels