CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 minute ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I definitely remember people believing the BFG was going to break out that year and it is, I think, one of Spielberg's biggest misses... 

But I also feel like "Dune" is, at this point... a dead brand. Everyone knows what it is, but nobody really cares about it. Even if Villenueve knocks the movie right out of the park like he did with Blade Runner 2049, I feel like you could still end up with a Blade Runner 2049 scenario, where people simply don't care to go.... because even though everyone knows its a new take on a classic... it just feels like a super-dense niche thing that's not really any fun. 

Spielberg's first full-on musical might be novelty enough to beat "Denis Villenueve tackles another sci-fi classic, just like the last one you didn't watch" 

I really doubt there'll be that big of an overlap between the two; like there was little overlap between the Aquaman crowd and the Mary Poppins crowd. Uncharted is gonna bomb, so that will help this as far as competition for the big budget action crowd goes.

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

I really doubt there'll be that big of an overlap between the two; like there was little overlap between the Aquaman crowd and the Mary Poppins crowd. Uncharted is gonna bomb, so that will help this as far as competition for the big budget action crowd goes.

I agree with you there won't be that much overlap, but it's also not really a case of counter-programming, either.... as I understand it, counter-programming is usually more about offering up a "not the big blockbuster being shoved down your throat" option for that weekend. But both these movies are going to be presented as big blockbusters, I think...

Aquaman vs. Mary Poppins Returns seems like it could be a good comparison, but I don't know how Warner Bros. sells Dune in a way that makes people feel as optimistic as Aquaman made people feel about that movie....

I like Dune as a book. I'm not the biggest fan, but I enjoy it and respect its place in sci-fi history. But I also know that for most people when you say "Dune" they think crappy '80s movies and boring miniseries and really super-dense sci-fi blah blah... I hope this can be Villenueves "Lord of the Rings". But I think there's a lot of apathy tied to "Dune" that marketing has to really work to overcome, and they'll have to do it without the benefit of all the colors and shirtless Momoas that Aquaman had for them to exploit...

Also I'm not counting out that Coming to America sequel... especially if Eddie Murphy makes a big push to come back as a comedian next year...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

53 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

You are probably joking - but this is EXACTLY the opposite of what can and will happen.

Stop discussing this movie. It is dead in the womb.

Dune is:

1. unfilmable

2. very far from any GA interest

3. actually dumb - not that it matters much

4. few people heard of it, no one really read it

The Frenchie is:

1. Box Office poison deluxe

2. blind as a mole = all his movies insufferably dark

3. you thought the late Nolan was COLD pretentious f*ck - wait till you see this Nolan-wannabe here

4. he doesn't know, nor feel what the GA wants

As a result this will turn out like BR2049 and/or John Carter. (Though JC was actually a great movie - but it was still betrayed by its source.) And it will make exactly as much. December will help a bit - but still, bombs away, unsalvageable.

Quote the Shay, whose just hatred for the Frenchie may save you all form betting on his latest - and last - lame horse in this race.

WOW, you got such a huge hate boner for Denis Villeneuve. If one were not in the know, he would have thought Denis was the the worst director of all times by your remark. LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

But I also feel like "Dune" is, at this point... a dead brand. Everyone knows what it is, but nobody really cares about it. 

Nah, i bet the majority doesn't know what Dune is. And something can't be dead if it never was really alive. ;)

It all comes down to how cool it looks to the average joe.

• Like 2

Just now, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Also I'm not counting out that Coming to America sequel... especially if Eddie Murphy makes a big push to come back as a comedian next year...

They've been talking about that movie for years now, so at this point I'll believe it when I see it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Nah, i bet the majority doesn't know what Dune is. And something can't be dead if it never was really alive. ;)

It all comes down to how cool it looks to the average joe.

True. I just hope that people who have never heard of it or have never had it tainted by the previous bad attempts to adapt it see what Villenueve is doing and react like they saw the Inception trailer... And don't react like they just saw the Jupiter Ascending one.... I don't want this to be something like the new Dredd getting ignored...

I think this is a big show of confidence and it makes me happy... but I'm still nervous about the fact it's now directly competing with Spielberg doing West Side Story... 

It makes me really happy that Warner Bros. is as confident as they are. I still think Dune has the potential to be the biggest film of 2020. Society is due for a true, sincere epic that unites the people in how exceptional it is (The Lord of the Rings and Avatar). I also expect this to be an Oscar player as well--that will ensure healthy legs.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Wow, they're really swinging for the fences here.

29 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I still think Dune has the potential to be the biggest film of 2020. Society is due for a true, sincere epic that unites the people in how exceptional it is (The Lord of the Rings and Avatar).

I love DV's movies, but let's be honest: he doesn't make crowdpleasers.

This one will obviously have to be a bit more of one, based on how much money they want to throw at it, but we'll see. Hopefully he's got one in him.

30 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I also expect this to be an Oscar player as well--that will ensure healthy legs.

That would be nice.

2 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I'm still not sure this is going to do anywhere near the business I would like it to do, simply because it's Dune... but I'm glad Warner Brothers is giving it the big December slot... if it'll ever break out, it'll do it there.... however its also up against Spielberg and West Side Story. There shouldn't be a lot of audience overlap there, but Dune is definitely not going to have the same free run on the day that a Star Wars or an Avatar might have...

editing to add: Looks like the Uncharted movie and Coming To America 2 are also scheduled for that day. I don't think either of them should be significant competition there but you never know... 

West Side Story should do well, but it shouldn't take away much business from Dune. Completely different genre. I think Uncharted will blink, and Coming to America 2 will flop.

A couple things:

Dune/Uncharted to me is basically like Star Wars/Jumanji. Obviously Star Wars >>> Dune but it's the same kind of idea, especially if Dune does turn out to be a giant hit. Big sci-fi epic with a crowd pleasing adventure movie from Sony to compliment it.

Also, thrilled to see WB give Dune that coveted mid-December slot. It's going to do what it's going to do at the box office so there's no risk. It just means that if it connects and is a huge hit it will take full advantage of that lucrative holiday slot. Might be a bit of a downer for WB if it does turn out like that though, because unfortunately that slot is reserved for many years henceforth, thanks to Disney.

WB really can't go wrong because the pre-Thanksgiving weekend has been great for franchises as well, including Harry Potter for them and The Hunger Games + Twilight for Lionsgate. At least the holiday slot gives a good launching point for the first one and if it's a smash hit, it will be so in mid November as well (maybe just a bigger opening weekend and without those massive first and second weekdays).

I really hope Dune is big. We need something new to turn into a hit franchise. It can't all be superheroes, and I'm a superhero nerd.

• Like 1

This is Warner s last hoorah before we get 4 DC movies a year.

COuld be wrong but I don't see this breaking out because of 

- Villeneuve, who likes his loooooooooong, contemplative shots

- SOurce Material

- Tone, is there a middle to find between light, Aquabro tone and Villeneuve cold dead tone where everybody is miserable, works miraculously for Nolan tho but Villeneuve seems to have even less a sense of humor.

- F word probably forbidden on set

Hope I am wrong and Herbert s books get sold by the gazillions comes February 2021.

Movie, on paper, feels like a beautiful commercial suicide proposition.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

IMO, problem with Dune is that it's the story that we've seen before (White Savior, Campbellian Hero Journey) because many movies were inspired by it, similar to John Carter. So it offers nothing really new while at the same time it's much less accessible due to being hard sci fi rather than fantasy. It isn't a familiar story told in charming manner. Quite the contrary. Also, good luck with sandworms becoming the new dragons. They are not going to have the same appeal. On top of that, it's a half of a story, Part 1. Sometimes audience doesn't care, sometimes they do so it's a toss-up.

It should do better than BT049 but won't reach boxoffice heights of some other movies released at that time of the year since it's pretty dour story for the season. That said, I fully expect some movie to move out of the way. Most likely Uncharted gets a less crowded month. Unless they deem it next Jumanji as someone pointed out. 

P.S. December isn't necessarily sign of confidence. Mortal Engines got the same date. Remember what happened?

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

P.S. December isn't necessarily sign of confidence. Mortal Engines got the same date. Remember what happened?

One was by a no name director and the other is by Denis Villeneuve. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1