CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Godzilla vs. Kong has a better chance at making $500M than this despite KOTM underperformance. I mean come on guys......

Not really a fair comparison, given G'14 and Skull Island both crossed $500m.

I can't find a good comparison for Dune over $500m. Casual audiences just don't like futuristic space Sci-Fi epics. All three recent Star Trek films fell below $500m. John Carter couldn't crack $300m, despite the all-mighty power of Disney. Ender's Game crashed at $125m.

Not to mention the very nature of Dune's story is far more complex than casual audiences care for.

And I'm still not over how BR2049 underperformed (relative to it's budget, film should have been 30 minutes shorter and $30m cheaper).

Hopefully Dune's budget doesn't exceed $125m...

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I can't find a good comparison for Dune over $500m. Casual audiences just don't like futuristic space Sci-Fi epics. All three recent Star Trek films fell below $500m. John Carter couldn't crack $300m, despite the all-mighty power of Disney. Ender's Game crashed at $125m.

Not to mention the very nature of Dune's story is far more complex than casual audiences care for.

And I'm still not over how BR2049 underperformed (relative to it's budget, film should have been 30 minutes shorter and $30m cheaper).

WB are more forgiving, Shazam didn't cross 400M and was a success on a 100M budget 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Godzilla vs. Kong has a better chance at making $500M than this despite KOTM underperformance. I mean come on guys......

KOTM was a critically lambasted bomb, Denis Villeneuve is coming off a string of incredibly well reviewed films. Not to mention KOTM clearly proved no-one cares about these movies anymore, while Dune's the start of a new series.

50 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Blade Runner 2049

John Carter

Ender's Game

Futuristic sci-fi book adaptations have clearly fared well in recent years...

$150m DOM $450m WW is where I think Dune will end up. Hopefully the budget is reasonable...

Just when everybody writes off a type of film as being dead, one comes along that is a huge hit.

And I need to  point out that except for Blade Runner 2049 ,the films you list were not well received.

I would hate to think that being a classic sci fi novel would blackball it from being made into a movie.

Edited by dudalb

21 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Every Trek film has fallen below that. Before the 2009 film, not a single Star Trek movie had even managed to cross $200 million worldwide. 

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Every Trek film has fallen below that. Before the 2009 film, not a single Star Trek movie had even managed to cross $200 million worldwide. 

True, but I would hardly call any of the prior Star Trek films an accurate reflection of box office blockbusters in the 2010s media landscape...

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Just when everybody writes off a type of film as being dead, one comes along that is a huge hit.

And until that huge hit surprises us out of nowhere, I will be apprehensive about the prospects.

What was the last futuristic Sci-Fi book-to-film adaptation that could be considered a "huge hit"?

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

True, but I would hardly call any of the prior Star Trek films an accurate reflection of box office blockbusters in the 2010s media landscape...

The J.J. Abrams films did at least manage to cross $200 million domestically. The problem is that Star Trek just doesn’t seem to be popular overseas. Then again, there’s certainly no guarantee that this film will do well overseas either...