CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Doesn't make much sense. Why would it do as well as his other movies AT BEST? If you believe it will underperform, fine, but not seeing any way this could do more than his other projects is just ridiculous. For one, his other movies weren't supposed to be "epics", even Blade Runner was at the end of the day a film noir, a detective story.

As for the studio not committing to a sequel, they rarely do. Ultimately, it is a risky proposition, it's big budget and unproven. Doesn't mean they have no faith.

Re: Blade Runner 2049 -- Then why did Alcon spend at least $150 mil on that one?  For a "detective story"?  No, they obviously wanted it to lead to something more...

It really does depend on how the film turns out, of course, and also what climate it ends up getting released in.  While audiences will yearn for escapism when/if theaters re-open, I just can't see them flocking to this narrative as a big, bright escape that they'd be looking for... so no, I don't have much faith in it. 

Dune is not escapism but that didn't stop Joker from being an enormous hit.

Dune is not action driven either but that didn't stop Joker and talky Tarantino movies from being big hits.

I know it's comparing apples and oranges but so is basing Dune success or lack thereof on BR2049. 

Movies that aren't escapist can do very well.

Movies that aren't action driven can do very well.

Movies aimed at adults can do very well.

We'll see how Dune goes but I'm positive that the movie will do very well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

Re: Blade Runner 2049 -- Then why did Alcon spend at least $150 mil on that one?  For a "detective story"?  No, they obviously wanted it to lead to something more...

Sure but again, a property like Dune has more breakout potential than something like Blade Runner. That's all i'm saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just hope that WB doesn't imagine Dune franchise beyond the first book. Everyhting that came after is deemed inferior and Brian Herbert books are a notorious hack job.  Dune itself ins't a happy ending book either but 3 sequels that directly concern Paul's family are downright depressing. The fates of Paul, Chani, Alia, Leto II are 

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is not escapism but that didn't stop Joker from being an enormous hit.

Dune is not action driven either but that didn't stop Joker and talky Tarantino movies from being big hits.

I know it's comparing apples and oranges but so is basing Dune success or lack thereof on BR2049. 

Movies that aren't escapist can do very well.

Movies that aren't action driven can do very well.

Movies aimed at adults can do very well.

We'll see how Dune goes but I'm positive that the movie will do very well. 

Ermm...

There is an occasional break-out hit that defeats every odds and predictions, but most of the time there is a clear path in a movies's success. 

Tarantino's latest effort, while almost completely deprived from the director's trademark action/violence (though the very last minute of the film do deliver on that aspect) was actually quite ordinary, box- office wise, when looking at comps.

It basically grossed as much as Murder on the orient express (2017) WW,  with both movies centered on big stars and targeted at adults.  If we're looking at R-rated non-action movies, Wolf of Wall street (2013) with Leo DiCaprio once again as the lead, actually outgrossed OUATIH WW by some mere millions.

Joker, on the other hand, always had potential to be big, it was surprising that it got HUGE, but a CBM in this era, with one of the most beloved characters as its center was always going to perform well.

Deadpool- Deadpool 2 are the obvious  R-rated comic book movie comps, but Logan (2017) is likely the most comparable tone-wise and scope-wise, and that went on to earn more than 600 milion WW.

That is not to say that Dune is doomed or hopeless, but you have to be honest and admit that there really isn't a clear indicator that works in Dune's favor, at the moment, while the blandness of the costume/make up and hairstyle department is not encouraging - The trailer will surely help us getting a better idea at the cinematography/sets production and overall vibe, though. 

• Like 1

Blandness of VF photoshoot doesn't mean shit to GA who don't pick movies based on VF or other magazine cover. It's trailers and spots that will or will not do the trick. Everything else is irrelevant to GA.

That said, if anything hurts Dune it's that SW milked it dry so it may feel like it's  a SW rip-off rather than the other way around.  

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Blandness of VF photoshoot doesn't mean shit to GA who don't pick movies based on VF or other magazine cover. It's trailers and spots that will or will not do the trick. Everything else is irrelevant to GA.

Yes, but during an low news time, trying to predict trailers from picks is a nice game to play (no one think that they matter by themselve, they know it is the trailers that will be everything)

29 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

A totally depressing tangent to a fun tweet: Frank Herbert disowned his real-life gay son, an AIDS activist who died in the '80s.

Now Frank's other non-disowned (straight) son (the one mentioned in this tweet) consistently does a hackjob on the Dune mythos via cashgrab sequels and prequels.

tenor.gif?itemid=6021175 

• Sad 3

Jason Momoa on Dune:

I’ve never been part of something so big…I get to play this character Duncan Idaho, who’s kind of a master swordsman who’s made the right-hand man to Duke Leto, who is Oscar Isaac. He’s the first person to be sent out to land on Dune, and that’s when I meet the character that Javier Bardem plays. I can’t believe I had a scene with Javier Bardem! It’s him and Timothée Chalamet, Josh Brolin, Rebecca Ferguson, and Stellan Skarsgård… It’s a pretty massive film and I get to be this little—he’s kind of the Han Solo-esque of the group. He’s kind of the rogue warrior who protects Timothée Chalamet and he serves Oscar Isaac.

• Like 2

Eh, typical actor blather. He's never been in something so big, except Aquaman (his previous biggest thing ever, and JL before it) and then he'll say the same about Aquaman 2. I still remember when what'sherface from GOT said about her TLJ fight that it was the toughest thing she's ever done and it was the lamest fight ever. Her character swirled a spear above her head once and that was it. So no way it was tougher than some fights she had on GOT. That's why promo interviews are useless. 

Duncan is super cool, though, and Jason is bang-on casting. I just don't know how to read his mentioning of Stellan for their characters don't meet. But maybe he just listed cool actors in the cast.

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I still remember when what'sherface from GOT said about her TLJ fight that it was the toughest thing she's ever done and it was the lamest fight ever. Her character swirled a spear above her head once and that was it. So no way it was tougher than some fights she had on GOT.

she ?

actors-body-stunt-doubles-57-57bd643dd32

What you on the final result on screen I imagine is quite different that what the work for an actor was (specially if you talk about a movie final edit and not the actual footage)

• Like 2

LOL!

Good point about result vs work though I still think it's more actor blather than anything else. They are supposed to say generic stuff that hypes but doesn't reveal too much so they don't have that many options for creativity with their answers. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

she ?

What you on the final result on screen I imagine is quite different that what the work for an actor was (specially if you talk about a movie final edit and not the actual footage)

Especially if they are shooting the same scene sometimes over hours. For different angles, little mistakes of one or the other actor, and...

I have somewhere stored the making of of a sword fight scene between two actors (Spanish style) that they shot literally the whole night, slippery ground, rain,... For a small budget TV-series‘ episode!

And sometimes they cut whole action / fight scenes bcs ‚someone‘ thinks its too much, its too... usually not the director (but sometimes its them too)

So, time to talk about Dune Pt 2. Denis said it would introduce Feyd-Rautha and the Corrinos. 

Princess Irulan - Wikipedia

Florence Pugh - IMDb

Know then, that it is the year 10191. The known universe is ruled by Padisha Emperor Shaddam IV, my father. In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the spice melange.

C'mon, who else could play Irulan? I hope they expand the role considerably. 

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Princess Irulan - Wikipedia

C'mon, who else could play Irulan? I hope they expand the role considerably. 

Is she supposed to be incredibly beautiful? Because Virginia Madsen is breathtaking in that pic.

If that's the case, I would go with Samara Weaving or Sarah Gadon, as I don't really find Florence to be a standout beauty (maybe because of the petite gymnast body /short neck combo).