CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Irulan is supposed to be blonde and imperious. Nothing about beauty or lack thereof is mentioned in the book, unlike Jessica's beauty that is praised throughout. Also, Irulan isn't a big part of the book except that most chapters begin with a quote from her chronicles, and Jessica comments that she aspired to be a historian. We also know that she was Bene Gesserit trained. But she becomes a big player in the second and the third sequel and it would make sense to me if they expanded her role in the second movie. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Irulan is supposed to be blonde and imperious. Nothing about beauty or lack thereof is mentioned in the book, unlike Jessica's beauty that is praised throughout. 

Not true. This is how she is described when Paul first sees her, in the first novel:

Paul's attention came at last to a tall blonde woman, green-eyed, a face of patrician beauty, classic in its hauteur, untouched by tears, completely undefeated. Without being told it, Paul knew her—Princess Royal, Bene Gesserit-trained, a face that time vision had shown him in many aspects: Irulan.

In Dune Messiah, she is described thus:

"a tall blonde beauty ... she carried herself with an aristocrat's hauteur"

Edited by Merkel

23 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Is she supposed to be incredibly beautiful? Because Virginia Madsen is breathtaking in that pic.

If that's the case, I would go with Samara Weaving or Sarah Gadon, as I don't really find Florence to be a standout beauty (maybe because of the petite gymnast body /short neck combo).

Not the Irulan will have the big a role in the film..she is a minor charecter anyway.

11 hours ago, Merkel said:

Not true. This is how she is described when Paul first sees her, in the first novel:

Paul's attention came at last to a tall blonde woman, green-eyed, a face of patrician beauty, classic in its hauteur, untouched by tears, completely undefeated. Without being told it, Paul knew her—Princess Royal, Bene Gesserit-trained, a face that time vision had shown him in many aspects: Irulan.

In Dune Messiah, she is described thus:

"a tall blonde beauty ... she carried herself with an aristocrat's hauteur"

Patrician beauty suits Pugh very fine. Alo, Dune mini expanded Irulan's role greatly and to story advantage. And Pt 2 will be free of so many characters that keeled over in Pt 1 so they'll have time to develop the Corrinos and Feyd.

Edited by Valonqar

If her distinctive phisical trait is being "tall" , then Pugh is definetly not the right choice.

For tall blonde and patrician (as in, classical features) I picture someone like Charlize theron or Grace Kelly.

Out of the younger actresses, there is a british actress named Tamsin Egerton who would be a perfect fit, but she seems to be retired now, after having married Josh Heartnett.

Duke Leto's most distinctive feature is his height but they cast one of the shortest actors in Hollywood. Chani is redhead in the book while Zendaya is not (nor they tried to redden her for the role) but she looks perfect. 

But anyway, we don't know who they'll cast. They could go for Ronan for all we know. Both actresses are in high demand and judging by the Pt 1 cast, they'll go for in-demand actors rather than newbies for Pt 2 as well. 

David Lynch on Dune...

This week they released a few photos from the new big-screen adaptation of Dune by Denis Villeneuve. Have you seen them?

I have zero interest in Dune.

Why’s that?

Because it was a heartache for me. It was a failure and I didn’t have final cut. I’ve told this story a billion times. It’s not the film I wanted to make. I like certain parts of it very much — but it was a total failure for me.

You would never see someone else’s adaptation of Dune?

I said I’ve got zero interest.

I sense a hint of bitterness lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

They should finally cast MENA actors for House Corrino. I mean it's Shaddam IV for crying out loud. Even their costumes could be modeled on Ottoman royalty.

As for Irulan's blonde hair, there are blonde, blue-eyed Middle Eastern women but seeing how they have ignored physical characteristics as described in the books for other casting, even that's non-obligatory.

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, Lynch is butthurt af. His movie was an epic bore so no wonder it failed.

lol I don't think he's butthurt about people not liking his Dune when he himself hates it and disowned it immediately because he didn't get to do what he wanted with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

David Lynch on Dune...

I sense a hint of bitterness lol

Stark contrast to Jodorowsky's reaction to Lynch's Dune. I'm actually a fan of Lynch's maligned misfire. However, Jodorowsky expressed relief when he first watched the film, and how he thought it was as terrible as everyone else thought it to be. It was a huge weight off his shoulder to discover his passion project wasn't expertly crafted by a younger version of himself. He eventually enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure (as have most of us).

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 2

I mean, i understand that Lynch is bitter about the whole experience, i would have been, too, however, i like to think of myself that i'd be able to put that aside and check out someone else's version. Maybe it's a good movie, you know. Why would you deny yourself that? And ultimately, it's been decades.

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I mean, i understand that Lynch is bitter about the whole experience, i would have been, too, however, i like to think of myself that i'd be able to put that aside and check out someone else's version. Maybe it's a good movie, you know. Why would you deny yourself that? And ultimately, it's been decades.

I don't think Lynch is being bitter here. At least not about this new adaptation. He's just not that interested in Dune as a story. 

I think he certainly liked a lot of ideas and characters from the books, but he likely wanted to make a more loose adaptation than what he ended up with. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It might be decades since the release, but I am pretty sure its not decades since he got asked in e.g. interviews about it.

Imagine to get sun burned and for varying reasons never get enough days out of the sun to ~ heal properly.

Beside, it was not a one day thing of getting negative, if someone fights long for nothing, gets exhausted too... it can ‚burn‘ into you, up to the degree of a syndrome (no joke).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I didn't mean bitter about the new movie, i meant bitter about the experience on his Dune.

I'm sure he still is, but I don't think that's entirely why he doesn't want to see a new adaptation. Lynch has never seemed like a guy who's that into traditional space-fantasy.

Even if he'd never made Dune, I still don't think he'd be interested. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I keep forgetting that the 1984 film was directed by David Lynch. 

I understand how the film is overlooked. It was a critical and box office failure at the time, but it is undeniably Lynchian for most of its running time. Similar to most of De Laurentiis sci-fi/fantasy films of that era, it was gaudy, self indulgent, curiously unique, and soon to have a cult following. I imagine most of us fans were introduced to the universe via Lynch's film before deep diving into Herbert's novel, for better or worse.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I imagine most of us fans were introduced to the universe via Lynch's film before deep diving into Herbert's novel, for better or worse.

Lol then, I'm pretty sure I've had the wackiest route to the mythos. My gateway was the 1992 Virgin Games adventure game which based its visuals on the Lynch film and actors (pictured below), that my dad got for me in the mid-90's.  

42873-dune-dos-front-cover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

dune-game-paul-atreides.jpg

Then during my teens my first live-action intro was the 2000's SyFy miniseries.

D-jR3kRUcAAbGf3.jpg

• Like 1