CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Those are not awards notices though. They are standard praise. Awards raves are writing a paragraph only in praise of an actor. Like the kind of praise KSTew is now getting for Spencer. 

Here in italy for Dune there are paragraphs only about actors.

A paragraph only in praise of kristen stewart as Diana in a movie about Diana Spencer of course is easier to make. And anyway the non english critics are not so positive about Kristen Stewart. I have read some really bad review about her, one of the biggest critic here in italy (the one from the most read newspaper, Corriere della sera) wrote she is a joke in the role..

But i know is still oscar material. After George V, , Queen Anna, Queen Victoria, Elizabeth the first, Elizabeth the second and I don't know how many others we definitely need another Oscar to a member of the english Royal family. 

Now waiting for Meghan Markle 😅

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@vale900 Are you from Italy? I'm curious if you know how big Dune book is there and is the movie anticipated. It's coming out in Europe next week I assume Italy too.

yes.

The book is not famous as in the english countries  but you can say the same for marvel comics or even the lord of the rings books. Nothing of this was like Harry Potter  😄

9 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Here in italy for Dune there are paragraphs only about actors.

A paragraph only in praise of kristen stewart as Diana in a movie about Diana Spencer of course is easier to make. And anyway the non english critics are not so positive about Kristen Stewart. I have read some really bad review about her, one of the biggest critic here in italy (the one from the most read newspaper, Corriere della sera) wrote she is a joke in the role..

But i know is still oscar material. After George V, , Queen Anna, Queen Victoria, Elizabeth the first, Elizabeth the second and I don't know how many others we definitely need another Oscar to a member of the english Royal family. 

Now waiting for Meghan Markle 😅

7 minutes ago, vale900 said:

yes.

The book is not famous as in the english countries  but you can say the same for marvel comics or even the lord of the rings books. Nothing of this was like Harry Potter  😄

Thanks for your feedback! That is interesting about Stewart because AMPAS diversity initiative opened the door to more international members and they are now making or breaking movies, actors, etc whom they support or don't. So while Oscar predictions are still made though American voter's eyes, I was curious how internationals see Stewart since she's playing such an icon. Granted, critics and AMPAS members are not the same thing anywhere, but they could reflect some of the sentiment. So we'll see. I'd love Stewart to win, though. Girl's been through a lot and I'm a sucker for redemption. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't know if I've said this already, but I expect a lot of people to change their tune in regards to the financial potential of the movie in two weeks time. 

I think if there's one shot it has outside of the US/UK etc, it's that a lot of the pirates won't have the chance to get it for a long while after it's released in their countries, so they'll probably end up going to the theater.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't know if I've said this already, but I expect a lot of people to change their tune in regards to the financial potential of the movie in two weeks time. 

I am already negative enough on the film's prospect, can't be more pessimistic.  

• Haha 2

If it weren't for day-and-date, this could've made 50-65 mil OW. That former Christmas date was perfect for it. Now, with a crowded October and HBO Max, probably no more than 35 mil OW. And WB will barely add any subs in the process. Their logic is not sound. 

On 9/3/2021 at 5:15 PM, Lucas said:

Director of a very obscure film that didn't really accomplish much. Except winning Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars this year.

A lot of p eople where pay no attention to movies that are not  Big budget blockbusters or Ganre films.

My friend said to me the movie is audience-friendly. The tone is epic, the world building is slow but really captivating. If the mass loves things like game of thrones can love this. The characters are like "bigger than you" in every sense and it's fascinating watching them. 

The only comparison with BD2049 is his opinion is for the slow rhythm in the first hour but everything else from the plot to the characters and the settings is more appealing for a mainstream audience than "a sci fi noir" like BD 2049. It's another genre, this movie is massive. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

And BR2049 didn't get hyperbolic reactions that it's unlike anything else but is how people must have felt when they saw 2001 for the first time. Even negative reviews agree it's a must see experience at least for its scale. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I hope you mean Team Bomb. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

And BR2049 didn't get hyperbolic reactions that it's unlike anything else but is how people must have felt when they saw 2001 for the first time. Even negative reviews agree it's a must see experience at least for its scale. 

I hope you mean Team Bomb. :lol:

yeah this is very important. I'm gonna quote an italian review from Federico Gironi, an importan italian movie critic. He really doesn't like Villenueve but he wrote

"The sets, the costumes, the design of the spaceships, weapons and the objects are honestly really impressive and even as you know I'm not a fan of Villenueve cause I find him too much serious I have to admit his direction here is a magniloquent spectacle, something really uncommon nowadays. The cast is great, i'm not a big fan of Chalamet but he's a perfect Paul and the rest is also really good, except for Josh Brolin". (poor josh!)

So you're right even most of the negative reviews are like "this is is really large in the best possible way and something impressive to see". 

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Wouldn't it make Dune 2's prospects look icy at best? 

There is the conundrum of Dune probably doing better at the box office if there is no HBO Max release, and it being easier to excuse the lackluster box office by pointing at the HBO Max release. Whatever gets that fucking sequel happening lol.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Thanks for your feedback! That is interesting about Stewart because AMPAS diversity initiative opened the door to more international members and they are now making or breaking movies, actors, etc whom they support or don't. So while Oscar predictions are still made though American voter's eyes, I was curious how internationals see Stewart since she's playing such an icon. Granted, critics and AMPAS members are not the same thing anywhere, but they could reflect some of the sentiment. So we'll see. I'd love Stewart to win, though. Girl's been through a lot and I'm a sucker for redemption. :)

Well, we know the French love K. Stewart!!  Or at least... the French critical establishment!  She won the Cesar there in recent years!

57 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Are they still going through the HBO Max release on the same day as the theatre release?    

I thought Denis negotiated for it be theatre exclusive. 

1. Yes.  2. No.  No director has the power to control these kinds of decisions...except perhaps Nolan.  

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

We unfortunately probably won't know how high it could potentially do DOM with the HBO Max day and date release. 

The only way to even have some indication would be if HBO/Warners tout the streaming numbers in the trades post-opening weekend.  If they don't...then we know it wasn't a substantial bump.  (Sounds like ZS's Justice League simply wasn't worth all the trouble, for instance...we didn't hear a peep out of Warners/HBO after it debuted on its viewing numbers.)

But yes, I'd veer towards believing that the simultaneous HBOMax debut in this COVID-era will only be a benefit DUNE's possibility of a sequel (no matter how much Villeneuve hates the choice), because they will be forgiving in this year of uncertainties.  Word of mouth and rewatchability will all matter.  We'll see...

Edited by Macleod