CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Dennis Villeneuve getting best director nomination at DGA is really a bless given that DGA deemed day-to-date release like Dune as ineligible in the earlier version of criteria requirements. If they kept the rule in that way, we will see Dune missed out from DGA race.  

2 hours ago, Merkel said:

Strange Villeneuve was not nominated for Director, although I fully expect him to get a nomination at the oscars

It's not anymore. BAFTA now has some stupid jury that decides nominees. It isn't all BAFTA voting but 12 people or so. Started last year. Big mess. Basically, they are trying to "give a chance" to people who most likely aren't on awards radar. Hence so many WTF names and many favorite snubs.

Edited by Valonqar

Dune got its fare share of Oscar nominations today. It nabbed pretty much everything except actors and director. A little bit sad it didn't get director but it probably wouldn't and won't win in the important categories anyway, so yeah, whatever. Happy for the nominations!

• Like 1

Well, after the whole doom and gloom when this movie was announced, with one year delay, a pandemic, a HBO Max simultaneous release, here we are, with a 400 million dollars grosser and with 10 Oscar nominations in the bag.

Even with Villeneuve snub (and there's no other word for it), the outcome was pretty much the best imaginable for this movie, all things considered

Edited by Merkel
  • Like 7

To date, Dune has grossed close to $400M worldwide, $107.7M of that in U.S./Canada. Warners is planning to re-release Dune in 300-500 theaters this weekend. Dune returns to HBO Max on March 10 just before final voting which takes place March 17-22 with the ceremony on March 27.

‘Dune’ Only Tentpole Up For Oscar Best Picture, Pic Returns To Cinemas – Deadline

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elessar said:

Dune got its fare share of Oscar nominations today. It nabbed pretty much everything except actors and director. A little bit sad it didn't get director but it probably wouldn't and won't win in the important categories anyway, so yeah, whatever. Happy for the nominations!

#DuneDirectedItself was trending. I'm crushed. Fuck you, Director's Branch! They usually nominate directors who undertake a tech-heavy movie so I have no explanation for this snub. But many other nominations were weird with lots of shocking snubs so what do I know? Congrats on 10 noms, the biggest tally of Oscars 2022. :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

I think it's hilarious that Villeneuve didn't get nominated.  It's clear that the Academy has the same skepticism towards him as they do Nolan.  All the technical work/merits for the are top-notch, so they were awarded -- but I also wouldn't nominate a Director who only tells half-a-story.