CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Everyone panicked when Tenet disappointed and movie theaters were left with nothing popular to show. The same day release on streaming is what made it possible for studios to risk putting big movies in theaters during uncertain times. WB's commitment to give subscribers their entire 2021 slate was part of what made it commercially viable for them to risk releasing movies in theaters during the first half of the year. They can't walk back on that promise, and shouldn't be punished for a decision that was benefitial to the movie industry.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

Everyone panicked when Tenet disappointed and movie theaters were left with nothing popular to show. The same day release on streaming is what made it possible for studios to risk putting big movies in theaters during uncertain times. WB's commitment to give subscribers their entire 2021 slate was part of what made it commercially viable for them to risk releasing movies in theaters during the first half of the year. They can't walk back on that promise, and shouldn't be punished for a decision that was benefitial to the movie industry.

Guess what? They don't need to do it for the second half of the year. They're punishing themselves by continuing with this. And removing something like Dune from the day and date slate in response to this that would be a big symbolic move, where they make it clear that they're putting talent first (and it'd probably also be a more profitable move too).

• Like 1

The movie only need to be screened for 1 week at LA or California.

And they don't even demand lots of theaters, one is enough.

I get everyone is expecting this to pressure them somehow, but they can put Dune to preview at some random theater in LA a week before the official day and date release and it will be enough to enter all the awards they want.

I think it would be better for them to give it at least 3 weekends before the HBO Max but honestly this discussion is getting tired, at this point i just want to see it.

If it make just a decent amount of money, let's say 350M and get multiple Oscar nominations they will make the sequel, like Mad Max get one.

From a new THR Article:

This fall, Disney and Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Sept. 3) will get an exclusive theatrical release; ditto for Legendary’s Dune (Oct. 22), Marvel’s The Eternals (Nov. 5) and Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick (Nov. 19.). December tentpoles also include Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home (Dec. 17) and Warners The Matrix 4 (Dec. 22).

I feel like there's insider talk that Dune will is getting a theatrical exclusive release and WB just hasn't announced it yet. Could see them announce it with the next trailer (coming tomorrow? Or maybe delayed due to the release date movie).

As I said a few pages back I think this will be theatrical only but taking this off Max will piss off people who are paying that higher price point for the service now that’s supposed to include the theatrical releases. With that said, I’d love to see this, TSS and the Matrix theatrical only. 

27 minutes ago, cax16 said:

As I said a few pages back I think this will be theatrical only but taking this off Max will piss off people who are paying that higher price point for the service now that’s supposed to include the theatrical releases. With that said, I’d love to see this, TSS and the Matrix theatrical only. 

They can make a shorter window for Dune, 17 days like Universal maybe. Definitely no more than 30.

Give it some time to Dune do what it have to do, and still doesn´t make people wait too much to see it at their platform, could be a good in-between solution for them.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They can make a shorter window for Dune, 17 days like Universal maybe. Definitely no more than 30.

Give it some time to Dune do what it have to do, and still doesn´t make people wait too much to see it at their platform, could be a good in-between solution for them.

Also, now that I think about it they also have the sopranos prequel coming out in October so they could technically use that as their dual release for the month with theatres/Max and then that frees up dune for theatrical only. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

By treating new release the same as their old film in library without any hassle and fees.....and speaking of promise, when did WB ever fulfill promise to their consumer diligently? And looking through release schedule of the 2nd half, I don't think WB has risk more than any other studio to earn them the risk premium either.  

Edited by Borobudur
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

From a new THR Article:

This fall, Disney and Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Sept. 3) will get an exclusive theatrical release; ditto for Legendary’s Dune (Oct. 22), Marvel’s The Eternals (Nov. 5) and Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick (Nov. 19.). December tentpoles also include Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home (Dec. 17) and Warners The Matrix 4 (Dec. 22).

I feel like there's insider talk that Dune will is getting a theatrical exclusive release and WB just hasn't announced it yet. Could see them announce it with the next trailer (coming tomorrow? Or maybe delayed due to the release date movie).

Please source your quotes!

If Space Jam and The Suicide Squad really come below expectations we'll probably end up seeing WB walk back on a couple of the fourth quarter titles. Honestly it always seemed a bit presumptuous to basically write off their entire 2021 slate, even if over half of these movies are would-have-been-2020-releases that have been languishing on the shelf for a while.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If Space Jam and The Suicide Squad really come below expectations we'll probably end up seeing WB walk back on a couple of the fourth quarter titles. Honestly it always seemed a bit presumptuous to basically write off their entire 2021 slate, even if over half of these movies are would-have-been-2020-releases that have been languishing on the shelf for a while.

I think only Matrix and Dune could go back to theatrical if Space Jam and SS underperforms.

The other movies on their slate aren't big enough anyway to make that much difference for them, especially after they already spent so much money paying the talent to get the streaming numbers.