CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

25 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

This wednesday it's iMax exclusive, and friday it should hit online.

Awesome! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

So excited for the movie yet so hopeless for its prospect...

Why? I was afraid when it had Oct 1 date but now that it moved to Oct 22 I'm very optimistic. Festivals are going to increase awareness and build the buzz while big competition is going to burn demand by the time it comes out. 

I feel like the guys who are excited for this are getting too anxious about its boxoffice performance and shitting on the film more than people who actually think the movie actually looks like shit lmao. 

And I think it's a good sign that the movie is trending with just character posters drop (which I think I've only seen happen with Marvel films before).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like the guys who are excited for this are getting too anxious about its boxoffice performance and shitting on the film more than people who actually think the movie actually looks like shit lmao. 

And I think it's a good sign that the movie is trending with just character posters drop (which I think I've only seen happen with Marvel films before).

I see 0 reason to expect this to be such a failure like some people expect

I know BR2049 fail but the first is a niche movie, the sequel is very atmospheric and doesn't even try to offer what GP expect from a blockbuster, it's also Rated R...

I don't see the alignment with this PG13 movie full of action on epic scale and based on a very successful book. The only thing both have in common is Villeneuve.

Of course, it's not the most popular thing ever but it's miles away from BR2049... Also teaser have great views, trend for days, even some posters today make the movie trend.

The ongoing pandemic, Delta Variant and HBO Max release it's going to hurt it like it's hurting every movie... But i do think this can do around 300-350M on box office, pull great numbers at streaming and seems like it's coming for awards. Given the conditions, seems enough for me to guarantee a sequel. Mad Max get one grossing not much more than that in pre covid world.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Looks like the iMax event is doing well...

It's free. People watch anything when its free

https://deadline.com/2017/04/king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-amc-theatres-previews-sell-out-1202079164/

Ahead of its May 12 opening day, Warner Bros./Village Roadshow pic King Arthur: Legend of the Sword created huge excitement at its preview screenings at 200 AMC Theatres yesterday pulling in more than 30K attendees. The free screening day was branded ‘King for a Day’.

Originally, AMC was to screen the movie at 150 sites across the nation, but upped that to 50 when the gratis RSVPs began to book up

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Watching 30 minutes of BTS is pretty different than watching a free movie I think.

You underestimate just how much people will go out to watch - unknown movies just because its free, a trailer (the BvS trailer events sold out everywhere and were still full even after the trailer leaked online), test screenings of a mystery movie half of which is line-drawn vfx.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Same , I am not even a big fan and I know movie is very risky and box office prospect is bleak but I am excited nonetheless 

5 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Looks like the iMax event is doing well...

This strategy reminds me of the marketing fox did for Avatar in August 2009. IMAX shows sold out then as well. There was lot of doom and gloom back then too. It survived and became a behemoth. Can Dune do it? It doesn't has the vfx, color and story that connects with all. 

14 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Awesome! Thanks!

Why? I was afraid when it had Oct 1 date but now that it moved to Oct 22 I'm very optimistic. Festivals are going to increase awareness and build the buzz while big competition is going to burn demand by the time it comes out. 

But WB's top opening has been around 30m, depending how high will TSS go, Dune will likely land somewhere between 35m-50m opening. That is a not a satisfyingly number, and I don't know if overseas number will make Dune fare better since corona is refusing to back off. 

9 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

I've never gone to an IMAX showing before. Does this mean I have to watch Snake Eyes in IMAX this weekend to see the Dune opening?

No, you should've signed up for one of those free IMAX exclusive looks that's happening tomorrow and the day after (if it is available near where you live).

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

No, you should've signed up for one of those free IMAX exclusive looks that's happening tomorrow and the day after (if it is available near where you live).

Oh I thought they were hyping up like a Rogue One/Dunkirk kind of deal. Now I know what they're talking about. And as for whether it's near me...well I already put up my "Denzel slams on table" gif a couple pages back. :(

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

But WB's top opening has been around 30m, depending how high will TSS go, Dune will likely land somewhere between 35m-50m opening. That is a not a satisfyingly number, and I don't know if overseas number will make Dune fare better since corona is refusing to back off. 

SJ2 cost 150M and yet 31M OW (with a very bad internal multi) is hailed a win. So Dune opening in that range would be a win too, no? Point being, Dune isn't exactly a nobody flick. It's based on a masterpiece book so it has a very devoted fandom that is super excited that a great director ensembled a great cast. Coming from book fandom, I know what I'm talking about. Fans are legit excited. Previews are very focused on making it accessible to the uninitiated. Can't speak for people who are coming into this cold but there was a test screening review from someone who never read the book or saw the Lynch movie and they gave it 9/10. So I'd say it isn't a hard story to follow. I read the script and it's definitely easier read than the book but,again, I read the book so it isn't the same for me. Nevertheless, it's encouraging that someone new to this universe raved about it.

Moreover, new date is pretty good. Venom and NTTD will be 3 and 2 weeks into their runs respectively and both are opening weekend rush type of movies. So they won't be stealing Dune audience by the time Dune rolls out. Halloween Kills (a week earlier) and Last Night In Soho (a week later) cater to different audience. So Dune has 2 weeks before Eternals, the first true crossover audience competitor. It will be fine.