CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Have you missed the love story the Dune trailers have been setting up?

Dune is a love story like Green Knight is an actioneer.  Paul and Chani romance isn't central to the story unlike romance in Titanic and Avatar. So a bit of bait and switch on WB marketing behalf. 

The story isn't void of emotion (even if Herbert's writing style is) but it definitely isn't a Paul/Chani lovefest. Avatar showing 2 Smurfs making out was an acturate summary of what the movie was about. Dune trailer, however, oversells its young lovers. In Avatar, Jake has a change of heart because of his love for Neytiri which made him fall in love with her poeple too. In Dune, Paul's destiny and decisions (no biggie but to be on the safe side cause not eevryone read the book)

have nothing to do with Chani. Everything was set in motion before they met. She;s just like LI, not even a catalyst for his decisions.

Edited by Valonqar

On 8/1/2021 at 5:14 AM, lorddemaxus said:

The buzz around the film is the scale and spectacle, which definitely attracts a wide audience. If people wanted "emotions" and "story", the highest grossing movie of all time would not be Avatar (or any blockbuster in fact).

?

Hollywood blockbuster machine are quite all about making audience live emotions, including an obvious example like Avatar.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:23 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Everything focused on 3d and the spectacle of the film. 

What do you thing spectacular induce to a watching audience (and the first in theater 3D experience) ? I could be misunderstanding what you mean there.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is a love story like Green Knight is an actioneer.  Paul and Chani romance isn't central to the story unlike romance in Titanic and Avatar. So a bit of bait and switch on WB marketing behalf. 

Reveal hidden contents

That's true, though from what we've seen from the trailers the material was adapted to be more emotionally involving (expecially between Leto and Paul), I wouldn't be shocked if more weight wasn't added to Paul and Chani's relationship.

29 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

That's true, though from what we've seen from the trailers the material was adapted to be more emotionally involving (expecially between Leto and Paul), I wouldn't be shocked if more weight wasn't added to Paul and Chani's relationship.

I'm sure they'll add weight but that's still a far cry from being central, driving the plot. it is not. They would have to write a fanfic instead of an adaptaton. 

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm sure they'll add weight but that's still a far cry from being central, driving the plot. it is not. They would have to write a fanfic instead of an adaptaton. 

It doesn't need to be central to be at the forefront of the movie, I don't think Paul having visions of Chani happened in the book, but it seems they'll be setting up the relationship since Caladan.

5 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It doesn't need to be central to be at the forefront of the movie, I don't think Paul having visions of Chani happened in the book, but it seems they'll be setting up the relationship since Caladan.

No visions absolutely happened in the book because he has the gift of prescience He sees future events including Chani. That part is 100% in the book.

Girl who says to him:' tell me about your world, Usul" (Usul is his Fremen name she gave him and hers is Sihaya aka Desert Spring that he gave her, intimate names) is his constant vision until they meet in Sietch Tabr.

The Wonder Woman/Iron Man Paul from the trailer is also a vision of the future.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

No visions absolutely happened in the book because he has the gift of prescience He sees future events including Chani. That part is 100% in the book.

Reveal hidden contents

Fair enough, but I don't think he discussed it with anyone.

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Fair enough, but I don't think he discussed it with anyone.

he discussed visions with Mohiam on Caladan, and with Jessica in the desert where he also told her he knew she was pregnant with Alia.

Movie may show visions in more emotional way than the book but they are faithful to the book. They are canon. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hide contents

he discussed visions with Mohiam on Caladan, and with Jessica in the desert where he also told her he knew she was pregnant with Alia.

Movie may show visions in more emotional way than the book but they are faithful to the book. They are canon. 

I know about his visions, I don't remember him discussing Chani specifically though.

4 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I know about his visions, I don't remember him discussing Chani specifically though.

I get your point that they want to make her more present verbally and in thoughts. still, that isn't the same as building the story around these 2 characters and their realtionship. In Duneverse, Chani isn't that important to the story. She is very important to Paul but not so much to the story. Jessica is important to the story (she basically created the story) and to Paul. But Chani is only important to Paul. You can't remove Jessica from the story but you can remove Chani and get the same result. he doesn't become Kwisatz Haderach and Mahdi (two different things but connected) because of Chani. The fall of the House of Atreides doesn't happen because of Chani. Etc.

yep if it has to be the tried and tested floating heads looking somewhere the book cover is much better. Something about the official movie poster feels off. Can't exactly spot what it is but it's like they're photoshoped in a weird way or sth?

• Like 1

So, I keep seeing this trailer in theaters, and I keep just not connecting to it.  My spouse saw it for the 1st time yesterday, and while the scope is wow, it just doesn't seem to catch the interest...he said he wouldn't see it b/c it gave him no good reason for why he'd want to...(PS - we are not game of thrones fan - that was his biggest takeaway vibe of what this movie feels like)...

I dunno...I just see "one step above some of the recent sci fi bombs" when I see this trailer...maybe Dune is like The Lord of the Rings books and its ingrained fans are rabid and numerous...or maybe the cast is so big and expensive, it will literally bring folks out just to see them...

But, I don't see moving this b/c I have never seen it as a huge hit...I mean, the 1st was a box office bomb ($40M budget, $30M WW box office)...and it has a huge cast with a lot of draws, too...

If this goes anywhere near Black Widow domestic numbers, I think I'll fall out of my chair...