CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

You can tell Dune is going to bo____

:Gaga: Well, BOT

This is to be expected when you put a blockbuster next to small indie movies. Still a very small sample size that largely consists of film buffs.

Edited by DInky

https://www.wiredupreport.com/2021/08/21/movies/dune-josh-brolin-after-the-preview-its-a-cinematic-masterpiece/

Some quotes from Brolin I don't think were posted:

They screened the movie for us when it was finally done. And I was so blown away. I mean, I can say, I think I can safely say it’s a masterpiece. It truly is a cinematic masterpiece, what he was able to do and hold all those characters and give all those characters their time and day but then also hold the story on top of that, and do justice to the story. And the lighting, which was done by Greg Fraser, who I ended up doing a book with, we just finished our book which is his photographs and my writing, that’s going to come out around the time that Dune comes out, all this stuff. It just was one of those moments where it all comes together — No Country [For Old Men] was kind of like that, to where it was like ‘Did you have the feeling that something was going to be great?’ and you’re like, ‘No, I’m having a good time. I love doing this, but you don’t know until you see it how great it’s going to be.’

If it actually gets close to living up to the NCFOM comparison...

For comparison's sake, here are his thoughts about Sicario:

He recently elucidated his thoughts about the film on the DP/30 interview series.

“I was pleasantly surprised,” Brolin said. “I wasn’t too confident about that movie when we finished it because there was… some rewriting, some restructuring, a lot of talk and some improvising. There was a lot of talk in trailers, probably more than most movies I’ve done.

Brolin didn’t elaborate as to what those conversations were about, other than intimating that all parties were deeply concerned about the final product, but he suggested that no one other than the director knows the measure of any film during production. “It turned into a movie that I didn’t see, and that’s the difference between a great director and a director who’s just okay,” he said. “[Denis] knew. He acted like he didn’t, but he knew tonally exactly what he needed the whole time. And he got exactly what he wanted. And so when I saw it, I was like, ‘wow,’ and I love being wrong.”

It's more reserved (though Sicario is a solid movie), so I assume he isn't the type to hype his movies up at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If TSS surprise defeat against FG, and FG's 2nd week hold cannot wake WB up, I don't know what else can to make WB reverse their course to a another misfire. 

If they haven’t already at this point, I doubt they’ll do it now. 

Edited by RRA

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TSS was always going to bomb. SS was terrible and nobody cared to even see BoP. Harley Quinn is not their Joker/Batman that's for sure. Also, no Will Smith. 

Don’t forget it’s (absurd) budget. 

The contracts are done, everyone was paid their bonus already, what WB can do at this point?

Yes their anual plan is a disgrace but it's done, change once already bring lots of trouble, change again close to release at this point is nonsense.

They have to take the hit and accept is their fault. If it bombs (i doubt it will be a disaster) Villeneuve have more than enough data to proof his movie suffered the consequences of trash decisions and still manage to get the sequel done.

We are seeing WB movies doing poorly and facing disastrous drops for months and everytime someone say "now they will see this is dumb and give up their plan", but still here we are, they're not changing anything, maybe Matrix and even this is kinda hard, for example Keanu already received millions alone for the HBO release.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The contracts are done, everyone was paid their bonus already, what WB can do at this point?

Yes their anual plan is a disgrace but it's done, change once already bring lots of trouble, change again close to release at this point is nonsense.

They have to take the hit and accept is their fault. If it bombs (i doubt it will be a disaster) Villeneuve have more than enough data to proof his movie suffered the consequences of trash decisions and still manage to get the sequel done.

We are seeing WB movies doing poorly and facing disastrous drops for months and everytime someone say "now they will see this is dumb and give up their plan", but still here we are, they're not changing anything, maybe Matrix and even this is kinda hard, for example Keanu already received millions alone for the HBO release.

It’s amazing how people just don’t realize at this  point things aren’t changing and keep bringing up the same recycled comments over and over. WB already signed deals for 45 day windows for next year. Get over it already people. 

• Like 2

I don't know what will happen but if I had to bet I would bet on this being a hit. People who usually only care about the big franchises are talking about it. None of the other WB hybrid releases had much anticipation. Dune could easily be their biggest event so far this year.

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don't know what will happen but if I had to bet I would bet on this being a hit. People who usually only care about the big franchises are talking about it. None of the other WB hybrid releases had much anticipation. Dune could easily be their biggest event so far this year.

I doubt it’s going to beat GvK. I’m not too sure about Matrix 4 either. 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, Valonqar said:

Ah, OK. So we'll see. F9 obviously wasn't hurt by it but it didn't have HBO Max either. Any idea how big/small is Dune book overseas? Read somewhere that it wasn't as big/known as LOTR for example.

I can vouch for it being big in the UK. It's a religion here, literally. When you go to Church the preist doesn't read passages from the Bible, he reads from the Dune novels. They say there is on average 3 Dune novels per UK households bedroom, it's crazy 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, cax16 said:

It’s amazing how people just don’t realize at this  point things aren’t changing and keep bringing up the same recycled comments over and over. WB already signed deals for 45 day windows for next year. Get over it already people. 

It is amazing all these can be easily solved if WB willing to put a price tag to Dune , instead of offering it like a free by-product on HBO max. They may have sign with theater or star for whatever deal but they certainly didn't sign on to give out Dune like a charity event. 

• Like 1