CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

9 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Oh no no, I get that. He has a dream along those lines (so much of this movie’s running time is dreams of future events). But in THIS movie, as a character, he’s the dull center-piece.

Of course Denis would waste Timothee 🙄

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Oscars love slow movies...

What i fear is that the general audience won't turn out if they deem it slow aka boring.

No worries. It’s day/date so it’s OW and legs have already been kneecapped.

TBH the lead character in Denis movies is always written kind of as a boring moody hero type but carried to a different level by a great, charismatic actor (Hugh, Blunt, Adams, Gosling). I don't think Timothee has the juice or talent and that's always been my worry (sorry @Eric and the Ten Rings)

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

TBH the lead character in Denis movies is always written kind of as a boring moody hero type but carried to a different level by a great, charismatic actor (Hugh, Blunt, Adams, Gosling). I don't think Timothee has the juice or talent and that's always been my worry (sorry @Eric and the Ten Rings)

I don't think Gosling was particularly charismatic in BR2049, but I still enjoyed the movie for the entire experience. Also Hugh's character was interesting!

Edited by Last Man Standing

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Bit harsh on Denis. Translated accuratly to the screen, I can see how some will see Paul as boring. He's not exactly a wild, quippy character.

Yeah, Paul isn't an engaging protagonist in the book and he becomes more and more unhuman-like as the story progresses and he becomes obsessed with his destiny as Kwisatz Haderach and Mahdi. To the point that (book spoiler):

Jessica implores him to give it up and just live a happy life with Chani

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elessar said:

As if BR2049's K cannot be described as boring and brooding. Not that "i" would call him boring. People tend to quickly do that when a character isn't larger than life or doesn't have some quirks or charismatic traits.

Gosling is a charismatic actor and his character has great arc which saves the film. Who knows if it's gonna be the same situation.

Hmmm...

TDS and I were at the same screening. I'll say this.

I overall liked it. I watched the big documentary on the DUNE film back in college, so I had a bit of background context. But I absolutely wish they would have shot Part II and released it six months from now because... I have a feeling it might not be made, and that is unfortunate.

While the film is painfully slow at some points (and I am one that enjoys slow burns, but man...), I did end up being invested in the characters and the story by the end, which is when it seemed to get started for me. It seemed that as soon as it was about to get super fun and interesting, it ended.

But I must say, WB are absolutely WRONG in putting this film on HBO Max. It is the biggest disservice to the film, and thinking of how the general public who has no idea about DUNE at all will respond, imagining them seeing this slow burner on a laptop screen, or on their iPad, or even on their TV... I imagine a lot of people won't make it past the first 45 minutes.

On the positive, the film is out of this world in scale. The world building IS excellent. The sets are massive, and there's a huge grand scale that I don't really think we've 'fully' seen realized to this extent before, in my humble opinion. It just screamed EPIC. But there is a slight feeling of deja-vu, since there's been other films that have kind of already beat Dune to the punch, even though Dune was technically there first. Several shots made me think of other films, which kind of took me out of the film a bit.

The acting is great all around. I really enjoyed Timothee, and while he might not be the most interesting character as of yet, I did find him very sympathetic and easy to root for. Rebecca Ferguson steals the show for me. She displays a range of emotions, from immense strength and ferociousness, to extreme vulnerability. I wish we could have seen more of Chani, and yes, I do know it's a two parter but I am genuinely worried it might not get made.

I really think WB should have just shot and green lit both, and released them months apart. I think it would fair much better with general audiences knowing that the second part is right around the corner. I don't even know if that many people know there's a second part coming.

7/10. Interested in rewatching it.

Oh... and the score is absolutely stunning, but that was to be expected.

Edited by Amorphous
  • Like 10