CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Just now, Valonqar said:

:hahaha:

I'm the biggest Dune fan around here but this is damn funny couldn't help but laugh. Improved my bad mood over review crumble. 

nah don't call this a review crumble, there's an astonishing amount of top scores out there.

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not sure how you go from second most viewed to "it flopped" when it did better than everything that wasn't Mortal Kombat. Even the Samba numbers back that up - doing better than every other movie they had including GvK and WW84. With ITH, they straight up said no one cared.

I'm speaking strictly in terms of budget and expectations. The Suicide Squad should've easily been reported as #1 given its place in arguably the hottest genre these days. The only true takeaway from its (vague) streaming numbers is that it could've posted double the box office numbers it did in normal times with a theatrical-only release and still would've been a financial disaster given the budget. 

Doesn't matter now though since we'll never know what these movies would have made in normal times.

Edited by filmlover

Comparing streaming launches seems like a moving target, because certainly if WW84 and TSS swapped spots, WW84 would have probably thrashed TSS' opening streaming numbers given familiarity with day and date launches + changing subscriber bases.

Mortal Kombat stands out as a very weird performer on HBO Max.

9 hours ago, Merkel said:

Some of you make it sound like the movie is being panned across the board...it's been getting very good reviews. Maybe not 100 % unanimous, which is probably impossible with Dune anyway, but great reviews nonetheless

I think the trouble is that reviews coming out of a festival are usually very positive, sorta like reviews coming out of a big Hollywood premiere. So you're looking at them on a scale. When those reviews are a little more mixed (and Dune's reviews aren't bad), it portends worse reviews down the line as more people see it outside of the favorable setting.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Comparing streaming launches seems like a moving target, because certainly if WW84 and TSS swapped spots, WW84 would have probably thrashed TSS' opening streaming numbers given familiarity with day and date launches + changing subscriber bases.

Mortal Kombat feels like the perfect streaming movie tbh. Would be a movie which will get 100M first month views if on Netflix because of familiarity with the IP for people and an online fanbase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Being an R-rated Mortal Kombat movie that was available to watch at home the same day as theaters (meaning anyone who was planning to sneak in to see it in theaters no longer had that to worry about) was a strong selling point, I suppose.

1 minute ago, The Dark Shape said:

Joker started getting slammed once it hit North America. Reviews in Venice were fantastic. I think that's one of the things that's concerning people.

It got slammed for reasons relating to the controversial content it had, I don't think Dune faces the same issues. But easy to see a path where the NA critics just find it more boring than the critics at the festival.

Hell though, these critics might actually lower the expectations for those who have to wait a bit so it might not be as severe of a drop off as we might think.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

I think the trouble is that reviews coming out of a festival are usually very positive, sorta like reviews coming out of a big Hollywood premiere. So you're looking at them on a scale. When those reviews are a little more mixed (and Dune's reviews aren't bad), it portends worse reviews down the line as more people see it outside of the favorable setting.

But it's not doing poorly for a festival film?

Dune right now is 84%, 8.3.

Spencer (another highly anticipated movie that opened today): 82%, 8.

The Hand of God: 77%, 8.7.

The Card Counter: 100%, 8.2.

Parallel Mothers: 100%, 7.9.

The Power of the Dog (supposed Oscar frontrunner): 100%, 8.4

Edited by Last Man Standing

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It got slammed for reasons relating to the controversial content it had, I don't think Dune faces the same issues. But easy to see a path where the NA critics just find it more boring than the critics at the festival.

Hell though, these critics might actually lower the expectations for those who have to wait a bit so it might not be as severe of a drop off as we might think.

My worry is that I bet most of the critics who saw it at the festival are familiar with the book. What will critics who are not familiar think of it? 

14 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Joker started getting slammed once it hit North America. Reviews in Venice were fantastic. I think that's one of the things that's concerning people.

Joker wasn't slammed in NA for artistic reasons....

Dune won't have that problem.

Edited by efialtes76

14 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Joker won the festival and has 68-69% at RT.

13 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Dune can't win venice cause it isn't in competition. That said, another thing that Joker had the advantage over Dune, as far as oscars go, is that eevryone, even negative reviews, were in love with Phoenix performance. Dune doesn't have a central or any performance for the matter that critics are mad about. Everyone is generally called "apt" but that's about it. One or 2 critics singling out someone doesn't equal the kind of resposnse Phoenix got, how real actor raves look like. 

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

The Joker criticism was weird though. A lot of complaints of "toxic masculinity", etc.

It definitely seemed like US critics had a big hang up on that particular criticism. Compare the US reviews with the UK reviews and they couldn’t be more different.

• Like 1

US critics acted as if they thought they could derail Joker's boxoffice, awards,everything. Some were claiming it would incite mass shooting and then acted very disappointed when that didn't happen. It was really bizarre and Joker's boxoffice sensation and then phenomenal showing with Oscars were glorious to watch for all the disbelif that relentless smear camapigning didn't work at all but quite possibly helped build the interest. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4