CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune can't win venice cause it isn't in competition. That said, another thing that Joker had the advantage over Dune, as far as oscars go, is that eevryone, even negative reviews, were in love with Phoenix performance. Dune doesn't have a central or any performance for the matter that critics are mad about. Everyone is generally called "apt" but that's about it. One or 2 critics singling out someone doesn't equal the kind of resposnse Phoenix got, how real actor raves look like. 

I know that Dune is showing out of competition.

Anyway 8.30/10 average grade is a very good start.

There's going to be a big difference in reaction from people who have read the book, and people who haven't. People who have are obviously going to love it, it sounds like a very great adaption and that they succeeded. But it is a LOT of info, film, and world building for those who aren't particularly familiar with it, and I'm not sure if it really succeeds in hooking the viewer.

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I saw the title of this thread and expected maybe 55-60% on RT. Went to RT and it currently sits at 84% with an 8.3 average rating - and a 78 on Metacritic, to boot. 'Tis a misleading thread title.

Peace,

Mike

The first wave of reviews were on the divisive side but are now looking like they'll be good overall. Just won't be the instant classic a lot of people were hoping for.

Just now, Nikostar said:

These reviews are good but they are not anywhere near as great as Dennis previous films. I really have a hard time seeing this being a hit with general audiences

Yeah, 8.3 is nowhere close to Arrival's *checks notes* 8.4, or BR2049's 8.2, or Prisoners' 7.3. Truly very mixed reviews, even the thread title says so.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

US critics acted as if they thought they could derail Joker's boxoffice, awards,everything. Some were claiming it would incite mass shooting and then acted very disappointed when that didn't happen. It was really bizarre and Joker's boxoffice sensation and then phenomenal showing with Oscars were glorious to watch for all the disbelif that relentless smear camapigning didn't work at all but quite possibly helped build the interest. 

Yeh that was just bizarre. Didn’t one outlet have article ready to go? 

18 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I saw the title of this thread and expected maybe 55-60% on RT. Went to RT and it currently sits at 84% with an 8.3 average rating - and a 78 on Metacritic, to boot. 'Tis a misleading thread title.

Peace,

Mike

Yeh, who wrote that thread title? It’s 85% on rotten tomatoes so far.

Mods? That’s definitely classed as “poisoning the well”.