CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On 9/4/2021 at 4:30 AM, Valonqar said:

Re: RT average. It doesn't matter for boxoffice, but as far as sci fi movies that got Picture nomination go, Dune has a really good average atm:

Fury Road (Picture, Director) 8.6

Arrival (Picture, Director) 8.4

Inception (Picture) 8.1

The Martian (Picture) 7.9

District 9 7.8

Also LOTR (Picture/Director; Picture; Picture/Director win)

FOTR 8.2 

TTT 8.5

ROTK 8.7

Interesting since FOTR is now considered the best yet critical score is the lowest.

Also Black Panther (Picture) 8.3

I didn't take into consideration movies like Gravity (unusually high rating of 9.0, Director win) and Avatar (the biggest movie ever, too big to ignore). 

One thing you are forgetting with all those sci-fi movies which were nominated - they were all box office wins. That kind of matters to the academy which is why BR2049 couldn't make above the line stuff.

Box office will still be a big thing to decide how many Oscar noms it will get.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

One thing you are forgetting with all those sci-fi movies which were nominated - they were all box office wins. That kind of matters to the academy which is why BR2049 couldn't make above the line stuff.

Box office will still be a big thing to decide how many Oscar noms it will get.

this is true they'll nominate low grossers but they'll very rarely nominate actual flops that lose a studio a bunch of money. it's all relative. the last proper flop that got a best picture nomination was i think Hugo and that was Scorsese making a movie about movies.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, Hatebox said:

Looking forward to this, but it's frankly incredible WB gave Villeneuve another chance to make a slow meditative blockbuster. I fear it'll be his last for some time.

ALCON and SONY split-funded BR2049, Warners only distributed/paid for PR.  

DUNE 2021 is thought to be approx. 75% funded by LEGENDARY Pictures, Warners and others only putting in 25%.  

So Warners is still really at low-risk here, relatively.  

I don't know if here in Italy there is a Venice effect but i just bought a ticket in my theater (a big place with 600 seats) and 2 weeks before is already 2/3 sold out.

Maybe people are underestimating this movie. The cast is really good (and a very smart  assemble), there are two HUGE teen stars (Chalamet and Zendaya, and with a love story in the movie), some actor from very famous adult or super heroes franchises.

It shoud have appeal for a multi generational audience from kids to sci fi nerds and a more mature audience.

Blade runner has 0 appeal outside the old sci fi fans and still made 250 M WW. We have a pandemic but i think Dune can still make 300-350 M WW. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vale900 said:

I don't know if here in Italy there is a Venice effect but i just bought a ticket in my theater (a big place with 600 seats) and 2 weeks before is already 2/3 sold out.

Maybe people are underestimating this movie. The cast is really good (and a very smart  assemble), there are two HUGE teen stars (Chalamet and Zendaya, and with a love story in the movie), some actor from very famous adult or super heroes franchises.

It shoud have appeal for a multi generational audience from kids to sci fi nerd and mature audience.

Blade runners has 0 appeal outside the old sci fi fans and still make 250 M WW. We have a pandemic but i think Dune can still make 300-350 M WW. 

Zendaya is barely in the movie which means so is the love story. It's no spoiler. It's in all reviews and you could easily see from trailers that they reused the same 2 scenes with her over and over and that one smacked of vision. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

Zendaya is barely in the movie which means so is the love story. It's no spoiler. It's in all reviews and you could easily see from trailers that they reused the same 2 scenes with her over and over and that one smacked of vision. 

i know that. Still they're selling that 

4 minutes ago, vale900 said:

i know that. Still they're selling that 

I was thinking more in terms of WOM. If love story and Zendaya are the main reason to see it (doubtful but for the sake of speculation) than bait and switch may irritate the duped this impacting WOM negatively. But, like I said, doubtful those are primary reasons to see it. 

• Like 1

Anyway 2 my friends already watched it in Venice.

One said: It's and outstanding movie.  Villenueve's masterpiece. It's not more cold than BD 2049 or Arrival. If you love these two movies  you're gonna love Dune.

The other one: it's a really great movie but just an appetizer, so kinda disappointing for the end.

OT. both of them have watched Edgar Wrigt's movie. A Terrible movie for the first one, kinda good but his worst movie for the second one. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

General audiences don't usually pick apart these things like we do, and many of them don't really copiously read reviews.  If they are enticed at all to see DUNE because of Zendaya...they will be disappointed, that is very likely to be true.  

I only read italian reviews. Here everyone is praising all the cast but for Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson there are really really great reviews.

For Chalamet is really hard to get an Oscar nom for a role like this (he has few lines of dialogues) but i think as non pro Rebecca Ferguson can have some chance.

Edited by vale900

italian reviews about the cast:

"Chalamet is so charismatic in this. Every silence has its weight and it's perfect. You are just waiting for him to talk and every time he does you just listen" (badaste.com)

"Chalamet and Rebecca ferguson together are so powerful as mother and son." (la repubblica)

"The young divo Chalamet is objectively perfect in this" (il giornale) 

"The casting was great.. Momoa and all the supportive cast is not directed just in a "muscular way. Chalamet is the perfect Paul Autrides and Rebecca Ferguson steals the show" (wired.it)

"Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson are masterful, but no one was a bad choice cast here." (screenmovie.it)

Edited by vale900

5 minutes ago, vale900 said:

italian reviews about the cast:

"Chalamet is so charismatic in this. Every silence has its weight and it's perfect. You are just waiting for him to talk and every time he does you just listen" (badaste.com)

"Chalamet and Rebecca ferguson together are so powerful as mother and son." (la repubblica)

"The young divo Chalamet is objectively perfect in this" (il giornale) 

"The casting was great.. Momoa and all the supportive cast is not directed just in a "muscular way. Chalamet is the perfect Paul Autrides and Rebecca Ferguson steals the show" (wired.it)

"Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson are masterful, but no one was a bad choice cast here." (screenmovie.it)

I learned a new phrase today... "objectively perfect."  🤣

"muscular way"   These critics really love Chalamet.  😂