CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Dune is WB's awards player and stands an excellent chance to get nominations for Picture, Director and crafts. That's what everyone's saying because tech elements, including director's technical prowess, are praised even by reviews that didn't like the story. It very likely won't win Picture because the preferential ballot favors different kind of movies but overwhelming tech support should lock it on Top 10. Sorry if this is all awkwardly put cause I'm recapping what I read on reddit's Dune forum re: Oscar chances. Anywya, the point is, WB is not going to cancel a sequel to their Oscar nominee no matter the boxoffice cause they want a chance to win LOTR style. So I think that sequel is happening. 

@Macleod Good point about the French. They took Kristen seriously when many still saw Bella.

Edited by Valonqar

I thinks the part 2 of Dune is like already there to be announced. I don't understand why netflix can make a lot of 200M blockbusters just for the Vod while Warner Bros (owned by AT&T since 2018. They have  a double income for year than Disney + Fox) can't do it.

Now they have also a vod service.

Warner bros wants a new universe to use on screen, with tv series and so on. They are resurrecting even Matrix cause that harry potter spin off is full of problems and it's not doing very well. The dc comic movies are really incostant.

They  want a new franchise, a new large universe. The only thing can kill Dune is the first movie making less than 100M ww.. is someone really seeing a flop like that coming?.

They are still sayin "well we don't know" during the promotion cause they want the fans to go to theater if they can. 

If they would say "yes the sequel is official" right now before the release people would watch it on Hbo Max more easily

Edited by vale900

If they want Duneverse franchise, they better utilize Momoa. His character becomes a big player from Messiah onwards and Momoa is singled out for his charm, charisma and fun character that enlivens a rather grim world populated by po-faced characters. Heck, I bet they cast Momoa cause they have more movies in mind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vale900 said:

I thinks the part 2 of Dune is like already there to be announced. I don't understand why netflix can make a lot of 200M blockbusters just for the Vod while Warner Bros (owned by AT&T since 2018. They have  a double income for year than Disney + Fox) can't do it.

Now they have also a vod service.

Warner bros wants a new universe to use on screen, with tv series and so on. They are resurrecting even Matrix cause that harry potter spin off is full of problems and it's not doing very well. The dc comic movies are really incostant.

They  want a new franchise, a new large universe. The only thing can kill Dune is the first movie making less than 100M ww.. is someone really seeing a flop like that coming?.

They are still sayin "well we don't know" during the promotion cause they want the fans to go to theater if they can. 

If they would say "yes the sequel is official" right now before the release people would watch it on Hbo Max more easily

BR2049 made 259m WW and has no sequel , so it would have to best that probably

Right now I don’t see dune getting nominations for picture and director. Ratings (metacritic) will most likely to drop significantly (6X/100) after it hits festivals and cinemas in America.

ATM majority of the higher ratings are from British critics, where dune is huge. “Incomplete story telling and theme, only to build up for the next movie” is not gonna sell well to American critics. I don’t remember the last time a 60+/100 160M+ budget blockbuster gets nominee for picture.

I don’t think rottentomatoes rating will play a factor in this, as after the expansion it’s filled with nonprofessional movie fans, they will praise dune as a masterpiece no matter what, I can see this going above the scores of 2049 or any other Villeneuve films. 

let see what happens next week at Tiff, I hope it can do well tho. 

8 minutes ago, jason1230 said:

Right now I don’t see dune getting nominations for picture and director. Ratings (metacritic) will most likely to drop significantly (6X/100) after it hits festivals and cinemas in America.

Basic critics are loving this. More likely it goes up than down. I don't remember a movie with this many 100s so early in going down to the 60s. Needs a bunch of red scores to get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

BR2049 made 259m WW and has no sequel , so it would have to best that probably

Mhh jungle cruise and cruelia got the green light for a sequel and they just recover their budget. A free guy's sequel was in talk already before the good results in China.

So i guess in this year, in this era taking the budget back when you are also in some vod streaming service is already...kinda good?. 

I think 200M are already acceptable. 

I think DUNE is absolutely going to drop, at least a little. Some critics I know have been whispering that they didn’t like it.

(I don’t mean to imply this will be a WW84 collapse! Just that based on what I’ve heard I would personally bet it ends up somewhere in the 70s on RT)

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I think DUNE is absolutely going to drop, at least a little. Some critics I know have been whispering that they didn’t like it.

(I don’t mean to imply this will be a WW84 collapse! Just that based on what I’ve heard I would personally bet it ends up somewhere in the 70s on RT)

The fact its low to mids 80s off a film premiere at a festival lends itself to it going to drop.

That's the crowd that eats this kind of film up. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Basic critics are loving this. More likely it goes up than down. I don't remember a movie with this many 100s so early in going down to the 60s. Needs a bunch of red scores to get there.

Like I said, the critics who’s loving this and giving high scores are mostly British critics, American critics are kind mixed.

And dragging it to 60s doesn’t need bunch of red scores, Time’s 70/100 dragged it from 76 to 75 today. Remember the avg score on metacritic doesn’t really mean ‘average’, every critic that’s been included by MTC has different weight. (For example Spencer started out with a 97/100 with three 100/100 and one 67/100(Ben Croll from indiewire) the real average score is 92/100, and that’s bc Croll has no weight in their system.)

And I fear it might get mixed reviews from ny critics, (New Yorker, ny post, ny times etc), and they weight a lot I believe, a few 40 or even 50s can drag down at least 4 to 5 points. 

Critics don't vote for the Oscars, AMPAS does. And AMPAS isn't just actors and directors but craft people too. Dune is a craft player, big time. It's going to sweep crafts which means those people will vote for it. Should be in Top 10. Remember that Best Picture is now 10 spots.

Also, Director Branch nominates fancy direction and Dune is praised for its scale and complexity of undertaking. So that should put Villeneuve in Top 5. Going by previous years, directors that miss are often the ones who direct so called actor's movie. The one's who show technical prowess (be it long uninterrupted shots, or chasing real light or handling 3 technically complex movies back to back) are safe more often than not. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I meant without any red scores (which Joker had loads of). I think the same with Jojo Rabbit. I really doubt any MC critic is actually going to pan Dune. We'll see a bunch more yellows and probably a few more 100s to make up for it.

I do agree with you, though maybe not to keep Dune safe from the 60s. At this point Joker had more extremes on both ends than Dune (six 100s, and one 20), I don't think Dune will get any 20s or lol a zero.

Just for comparison, for RT at this point Joker was sitting at 88% with an 8.7/10 average.

Joker got a lot of 20s from publications which are not movie or entertainment magazine or newspapers. This is why It was high after Venice and then drops.

So the reasons of the bad reviews are basically political, because of that kind of movie during the Trump era and so on..

We know Dune has been accused for being a movie with a white saviour but it's an old novel so i don't think people will be angry about that like  if it were a new story made in 2021. It won't be so hated by NYT, New Yorker, Time, The Atlantic and all these magazins really interested more to the cultural aspect of a movie than its cinematic values.

Edited by vale900

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Critics don't vote for the Oscars, AMPAS does. And AMPAS isn't just actors and directors but craft people too. Dune is a craft player, big time. It's going to sweep crafts which means those people will vote for it. Should be in Top 10. Remember that Best Picture is now 10 spots.

Also, Director Branch nominates fancy direction and Dune is praised for its scale and complexity of undertaking. So that should put Villeneuve in Top 5. Going by previous years, directors that miss are often the ones who direct so called actor's movie. The one's who show technical prowess (be it long uninterrupted shots, or chasing real light or handling 3 technically complex movies back to back) are safe more often than not. 

Yes critics don’t vote for oscars, but from reading reviews from this forum and critics, I fear the film is simply not good enough compare to Villeneuve’s other films.

If it can hold around 70s and having 10 spots, bp should be secured. But perhaps there are too many competitions for bd? Larrin, Campion, Branagh, del toro, Coen, Mckay, Ridley Scott x2, and ofc PTA.