CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On 9/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, Lucas said:

Just for comparison, for RT at this point Joker was sitting at 88% with an 8.7/10 average.

I remember very well Joker had 9.3/10 average with 86-87% at one point, I doubt there's gonna be another case like this in the near future, it was unique situation.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I remember very well Joker had 9.3/10 average with 86-87% at one point, I doubt there's gonna be another case like this in the near future, it was unique situation.

A whopping 10 top scores after a mere 24 reviews was definitely a unique case.

5 hours ago, vale900 said:

here in Italy BD 2049 made  a 5.5 M total. Black Panther made 7.2 M 😅

Anyway yes in general BD 2049 did good OS with a 170M total. Only 11 M in china so 156 M OS without China.

If you remove from a lot of so called successfull movies of the last years the huge results in China maybe you get something arounf BD 2049 numbers.

They just have 50-75M more in the us and same in China. 

Yep, many even actually big results aren't that impressive w/o China. Remove China from a number of Marvel movies (not IW and Endgame cause they passed 1B OS w/o China) and you'll get OS in 500M range rather than 700M. Which is why Joker is all the more impressive cause its over 700M OS is without China. It never got release there. It demolished Marvel biggies such as CM and BP that fell short with China already but even more so when you voiced between 110-160M from that market. 

Fingers crossed for Dune in Europe. 

17 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It was crazy that they thought that they could pull off an IT film two parter for Dune. The IT brand is well known to casuals, Dune isnt.

Really? I thought they were on the same level of public awareness pre-2017.

Of course though, It is a helluva cheaper to make than Dune.

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Really? I thought they were on the same level of public awareness pre-2017.

Of course though, It is a helluva cheaper to make than Dune.

It was always more popular and well known. Dune has never really been a big name, I'd class it as well known and popular as the original Blade Runner, which doesn't bode well 

Meanwhile everyone is scared of fucking clowns. Ive heard many people through my years wonder why there was no recent adaptation of IT, noone talks of Dune though because most people don't even know what it is

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vale900 said:

No surprise, at the TIFF Dune was the first to go sold out days ago. Same in Venice.

Anyway with 3 new reviews on RT it goes from 85% to 87%. For what it matters 😄

But average is down to 8.0. Always look at the average (opens when you click on the %). Still very strong. 

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Apparently there was a serious queue for Dune tickets at the New York Film Festival. I feel bad for Matt, it's his most anticipated film of the year, and it's like the one big festival movie he isn't going to watch (he's already been to Telluride).

WB screwed the pooch with Max. Interest is real as Europe presales show. 

35 minutes ago, Chicago said:

It was always more popular and well known. Dune has never really been a big name, I'd class it as well known and popular as the original Blade Runner, which doesn't bode well 

Meanwhile everyone is scared of fucking clowns. Ive heard many people through my years wonder why there was no recent adaptation of IT, noone talks of Dune though because most people don't even know what it is

IT is certainly more popular cause King is a best-selling author for masses. Dune is Nebula-award type of book highly regarded among sci fi readers but it isn't accessible or known like IT. Also, IT has a shitty but highly popular TV adaptation on network that was watched by nearly 30M people, while Dune movie flopped, and while Dune mini was the highest rated show on cable, cable never produced numbers like a network. So it remained a niche hit. 

That said, interest in the movie is real which means that previews are doing the job (trailer views for both trailers were excellent) and festival buzz is spreading. It won't post IT numbers but it won't be a flop even with Max clusterfuck. It's obvious it is a movie for the big screen so I think theatrical attendance might surprise.

• Like 1

IT got a huge young audience because of the stranger things feeling they gave to all the operation and the good marketing around the clown figure. We all know selling horror movies is easier.

In no way the success of the movie was THAT big  because the novel was THAT big upon the under 30s target.

IT is a  cult novel for the horror fans. Dune is a cult for the sci fi fans. 

It  has 887K votes on goodreads. Dune has 904k votes. 

Dune has its own target: the sci fans. Can it get the casual younger audience or even the kids?. That's the question. The movie has Chalamet and Zendaya. I  guess they're at least something more than Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1