CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 hours ago, vale900 said:

IT got a huge young audience because of the stranger things feeling they gave to all the operation and the good marketing around the clown figure. We all know selling horror movies is easier.

In no way the success of the movie was THAT big  because the novel was THAT big upon the under 30s target.

IT is a  cult novel for the horror fans. Dune is a cult for the sci fi fans. 

It  has 887K votes on goodreads. Dune has 904k votes. 

Dune has its own target: the sci fans. Can it get the casual younger audience or even the kids?. That's the question. The movie has Chalamet and Zendaya. I  guess they're at least something more than Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford. 

IT also had the TV miniseries which is fondly remembered by a lot of people. Tim Curry's Pennywise was really well performed as well. The impact of that nostalgia can't be understated either 

4 hours ago, vale900 said:

IT got a huge young audience because of the stranger things feeling they gave to all the operation and the good marketing around the clown figure. We all know selling horror movies is easier.

In no way the success of the movie was THAT big  because the novel was THAT big upon the under 30s target.

IT is a  cult novel for the horror fans. Dune is a cult for the sci fi fans. 

It  has 887K votes on goodreads. Dune has 904k votes. 

Dune has its own target: the sci fans. Can it get the casual younger audience or even the kids?. That's the question. The movie has Chalamet and Zendaya. I  guess they're at least something more than Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford. 

Stranger things certainly helped but I think the gimmick of killer clowns was a bigger draw than people realise. You didn't have to read IT or watch the old adaptations to know what it was. I remember there was even people dressed as clowns causing a bit of mayhem before IT opened, awareness was sky high because it's a fear many people can relate too.

Dune on the other hand is a harder sell. There wasn't much in the books or previous adaptations that has made it iconic to general movie goers so it has an uphill battle and the tone they seem to have taken seem more inline with my taste than 'high grossing blockbuster' taste but I would love to be proven wrong 

19 minutes ago, Menor said:

IT trailer went viral. 197m views in 24 hours. It was everywhere on my social media. Dune has not had anything close to that level. 

I just remember how much of a pain in the ass it was trying to talk about it with mates. 

"Shall we watch IT?"

"Watch what? 

"IT"

"Be more specific"

Rinse and repeat

• Haha 1

The Martian by Ridley scott opened with 54M dollars. 

I think in a normal context Dune could have been a similar opening. People are so pessimistic about this movie cause the predictions for BD 2049 were like 50-60M  for the OW and then it made the half.

This is just a different movie from BD 2049. . This is an epic sci fi story from a popular book. This has a good cast and the trailer made good numbers. The recent final trailer on WB account alone has 18M views, BD 2049 final trailer has 14M views after 4 years.

Even  Arrival, an  original,  opened with 24M, just a short under BD2049 . So it's not like every Villenueve movie has to flop now. BD 2049 failed for so many reasons, Dune is different, 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, vale900 said:

The Martian by Ridley scott opened with 54M dollars. 

I think in a normal context Dune could have been a similar opening. People are so pessimistic about this movie cause the predictions for BD 2049 were like 50-60M  for the OW and then it made the half.

This is just a different movie from BD 2049. . This is an epic sci fi story from a popular book. This has a good cast and the trailer made good numbers. The recent final trailer on WB account alone has 18M views, BD 2049 final trailer has 14M views after 4 years.

Even  Arrival, an  original,  opened with 24M, just a short under BD2049 . So it's not like every Villenueve movie has to flop now. BD 2049 failed for so many reasons, Dune is different, 

The Martian was an amazing book though. I agree this should be hitting 50m in normal circumstances 

8 hours ago, Chicago said:

Stranger things certainly helped but I think the gimmick of killer clowns was a bigger draw than people realise. You didn't have to read IT or watch the old adaptations to know what it was. I remember there was even people dressed as clowns causing a bit of mayhem before IT opened, awareness was sky high because it's a fear many people can relate too.

Dune on the other hand is a harder sell. There wasn't much in the books or previous adaptations that has made it iconic to general movie goers so it has an uphill battle and the tone they seem to have taken seem more inline with my taste than 'high grossing blockbuster' taste but I would love to be proven wrong 

I keep saying, if movies like Inception and Interstellar can make money, so can this. 

That being said, WB has made it an uphill climb when they didn't have to.

Edited by tonytr87

On 9/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, Valonqar said:

Unknown IPs can blow up too. Dune was set to be an Xmas spectacle but covid-19 happened. So it's more down to WB's decision to put it on HBO Max than to make the movie at all. 

This here. People are acting like brainy blockbusters don't happen from time to time. If anything, the constant belly-aching about what a flop it MIGHT be what dooms it. Self-fulfilling prophecies and whatnot. 

15 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This here. People are acting like brainy blockbusters don't happen from time to time. If anything, the constant belly-aching about what a flop it MIGHT be what dooms it. Self-fulfilling prophecies and whatnot. 

Yep and quite a number of them came from WB. 

7 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I keep saying, if movies like Inception and Interstellar can make money, so can this. 

That being said, WB has made it an uphill climb when they didn't have to.

Inception was advertised as "The director of The Dark Knight" whilst starring the biggest box office draw on the planet. You cannot compare Inception to Dune.

Nolan is one of the few directors who's name sells the movie alone. If his name was on Dune it would add to it's box office.

12 hours ago, DInky said:

A bit strange that they're not showing off the Imax aspect ratio.

Maybe because IMAX can truly be appreciated only on an IMAX screen. On a TV it may have the reverse effect - while, sure, every frame encompasses more picture, the image is ultimately smaller due to the black bars.

15 hours ago, Chicago said:

I just remember how much of a pain in the ass it was trying to talk about it with mates. 

"Shall we watch IT?"

"Watch what? 

"IT"

"Be more specific"

IT in Punjabi is word for brick, so first time my friend asked me to watch it, I was wondering why is he asking to me watch a brick. I hadn't watched any trailer or knew of it, so going blind was great.

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IT in Punjabi is word for brick, so first time my friend asked me to watch it, I was wondering why is he asking to me watch a brick. I hadn't watched any trailer or knew of it, so going blind was great.

There's actually a pretty good movie called 'Brick' starring Joseph Gordon Levitt in his older years lol

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I predict great opening OS next week. People are gonna be surprised. Too much focus on dom and HBO MAX on this forum. 

Let's hope so. I'm not yet convinced. A few near to full showings really doesn't mean much, it needs that in pretty much every town for it to do well.