CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I predict great opening OS next week. People are gonna be surprised. Too much focus on dom and HBO MAX on this forum. 

I will be happy to be surprised. I want this movie to do well. I do think the opening could be good in some areas but I'm worried about legs. 

Edited by Menor

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Let's hope so. I'm not yet convinced. A few near to full showings really doesn't mean much, it needs that in pretty much every town for it to do well.

I understand. Since you are in Germany, if there's a way you can report on presales and general buzz, that would be great. 

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I understand. Since you are in Germany, if there's a way you can report on presales and general buzz, that would be great. 

I'd love to but to tell you the truth, i have no idea lol. I can tell how it is selling at my cinema of choice but how good an indicator that is, who knows.

Edited by Elessar

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Any info is good! Makes Flopbros nervous. :lol:

I'm afraid it won't make them nervous. ;)

But one would need to compare it to other performances to get an idea. I haven't been keeping records.

Edited by Elessar

13 hours ago, Chicago said:

Inception was advertised as "The director of The Dark Knight" whilst starring the biggest box office draw on the planet. You cannot compare Inception to Dune.

Nolan is one of the few directors who's name sells the movie alone. If his name was on Dune it would add to it's box office.

That's fair. But there are numerous other examples. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is getting the sequel. It's going to be an awards player and WB will want to try win for the second movie. It's understandable that DV plays coy but make no mistake it's happening. 

yeah they want this new universe. The won't kill it because  of the results during the pandemic. At least it makes somethig even under its 165M budget.

They are planning sequels, tv serials and so on so they're gonna give us at least the sequel. 

3 minutes ago, vale900 said:

yeah they want this new universe. The won't kill it because  of the results during the pandemic. At least it makes somethig even under its 165M budget.

They are planning sequels, tv serials and so on so they're gonna give us at least the sequel. 

Not to mention Momoa is walking away with the best notices and his character is a major player from Messiah onward. They would want to continue with him either in movies or a show. 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, Lucas said:

Well maybe this is the best time for me to vent. 😁 My local theater, and objectively the only theater even remotely close to me worth visiting (especially for something like Dune), shut down two weeks ago due to a catastrophic flooding in the city (apparently two months of rain in two hours). Water damage apparently fucked things up in there, so it had to close for "a while"... and well, it's still closed with no signs of when it might open up again. Dune is opening on the 15th, tickets in the country went on sale today, and here I am holding my breath that this damn theater will open up on time - as I watch the other worthwhile theaters get sold out (yay for Dune). I don't want to have to travel up to 4 hours to see this thing, but I will if this theater doesn't open. But then again I might not even get to make that choice, since I'm hesitant to commit and buy tickets. Bit of a catch-22, very lovely, very exciting.

From a once in a hundred year pandemic, to a once in... I dunno 30-50 year weather catastrophy in this location, they're really trying to get me not to see this thing.

5 days to go, including a weekend where no progress will be made, and still not a word when the theater will open.

giphy-downsized.gif

Awards can be a factor but ultimately they care about money. I just hope the film has some strong supporters within the studio so that they move forward with at least one sequel even if it might not be the most money savvy decision.

Edited by Elessar

14 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

That's fair. But there are numerous other examples. 

Yeah we were getting an original sci fi hit every fall at one point. Gravity to Interstellar then the Martian. After that they have all underwhelmed at the box office with Passengers and Arrival in 2016, Blade Runner 2017, First man 2018 and Ad Astra in 2019. Being my favourite genre, I hope this can break the mold 

Though Arrival was actually a solid hit given its budget 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

They really push Dune for the award season, I can see Dune checking off every major film festival. But to be realistic, it is hard to be  a Oscar contender while being a tentpole blockbuster if you aren't socially relevant.

The past high profile tentpole were nominated for Best Picture in the past 20 years are mostly either socially relevant like Joker (class conflict), Avatar (environmentalist), or minority empowerment like Gravity, Mad Max or BP. Dune has to replicate the high bar set by Inception, LOTR trilogy, or The martian to be in this exclusive club.  

Villenueve is not Nolan but The Prestige by Nolan, his last original movie before the Dark knight's breakout made 110M on a 40 M budget (and it was released after the first Batman movie). It's like the same of Arrival.

Nolan is more famous and recognized. Sure, but he has made a Batman franchises. That's help, A LOT.

Villenueve is a very recognised author  even for the mainstream audience. BD 2049 maybe was a flop but on imdb has more than 500K votes, Sicario has 400K votes, Arrival has 650K votes, Prisoners has 650K votes.

Again it's not Nolan but Villenueve making Dune is a solid part of the brand of the new Dune. Step by step is now a recognised name. 

Edited by vale900