CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

They really push Dune for the award season, I can see Dune checking off every major film festival. But to be realistic, it is hard to be  a Oscar contender while being a tentpole blockbuster if you aren't socially relevant.

The past high profile tentpole were nominated for Best Picture in the past 20 years are mostly either socially relevant like Joker (class conflict), Avatar (environmentalist), or minority empowerment like Gravity, Mad Max or BP. Dune has to replicate the high bar set by Inception, LOTR trilogy, or The martian to be in this exclusive club.  

Here in Italy i have read at least 3 cultural articles from The Post, Huffington post and similar about Dune being a movie about the Afganistan crisis 

this is about Dune as a metaphor of the crisis of the american imperialism 

https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/la-visione-imperiale-di-dune-un-pianeta-per-nulla-lontano-da-noi_it_6133187ae4b0df9fe276bce3

Edited by vale900
  • Haha 1

someone  laughed at me.

Here the articles. Even if you don't know italian it's easy. You have the words Afghanistan and Dune in the title

https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/a-venezia-la-prima-di-dune-kolossal-di-fantascienza-che-racconta-lafghanistan-di-oggi_it_613256b1e4b0f1b97060e0ab

https://velvetmag.it/2021/09/04/venezia78-dune-il-film-che-racconta-con-effetti-speciali-lafghanistan/

Also the american Financial Times praised the movie for being very aware of the current political  times and about the american foreign policy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=afghanistan+dune&sxsrf=AOaemvJ5b69i4WYMf-S4Gj-Ig_H-C4BYfg:1631289915603&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivjMe_5PTyAhUMKuwKHZu8A4YQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=657

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Here in Italy i have read at least 3 cultural articles from The Post, Huffington post and similar about Dune being a movie about the Afganistan crisis 

this is about Dune as a metaphor of the crisis of the american imperialism 

https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/la-visione-imperiale-di-dune-un-pianeta-per-nulla-lontano-da-noi_it_6133187ae4b0df9fe276bce3

I didn't read just to avoid spoiler if any. But I doubt this qualify as socially relevant theme.

Also, I am not sure on the plot but I have this thought that every westerner see Middle East region as huge wild desert, so naturally they will link this desert setting in  Dune movie with Afgan without having the plot to actually suggest so. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I didn't read just to avoid spoiler if any. But I doubt this qualify as socially relevant theme.

Also, I am not sure on the plot but I have this thought that every westerner see Middle East region as huge wild desert, so naturally they will link this desert setting in  Dune movie with Afgan without having the plot to actually suggest so. 

Dune is clearly also a story about the effects of imperialism and colonialism. You found a social relevant issue in Avatar or even Joker (thats a little bir forced in my opninion, academy members loved that movie cause it was new hollywood style, just that) and not in Dune?.

The themes of the environment and global warming are strong in Dune too.

Anyway Timmy and Zendy are waiting for you all 😍😂

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

@vale900 According to people who remember, LOTR was seen as a metaphor for War on Terror where Sauron was Saddam. Even though the inspiration was WW2. But 9/11 happened in 2001 when FOTR opened and from there on it was seen as America/the good guys vs Saddam/bad guys. So that some see Dune as a metaphor to Afghanistan is no surprise. Even though that wasn't the idea when Herbert wrote the book and when the movie was made. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

@vale900 According to people who remember, LOTR was seen as a metaphor for War on Terror where Sauron was Saddam. Even though the inspiration was WW2. But 9/11 happened in 2001 when FOTR opened and from there on it was seen as America/the good guys vs Saddam/bad guys. So that some see Dune as a metaphor to Afghanistan is no surprise. Even though that wasn't the idea when Herbert wrote the book and when the movie was made. 

You mean WW1?

Just now, Valonqar said:

Was it WW1? I'm sure you are right. I'm just recapping what I read on other sites long time ago so I must have mixed it up.

I've read many times that Tolkien was really influenced by his experience in WW1. I'm sure WW2 played some role in his thinking but I'm pretty sure the formative influence was the first.

2 hours ago, vale900 said:

Dune is clearly also a story about the effects of imperialism and colonialism. You found a social relevant issue in Avatar or even Joker (thats a little bir forced in my opninion, academy members loved that movie cause it was new hollywood style, just that) and not in Dune?.

The themes of the environment and global warming are strong in Dune too.

Anyway Timmy and Zendy are waiting for you all 😍😂

Again I haven't seen that movie so I can't judge just how socially relevant the film is, but Joker is not forced at all, its tone pretty much reflect American society nowdays,. A bunch of ill-treated group (either genuinely discriminated by the system or just being self-pity), fed up with the system and starting an uprising against power class, forming a cult-like movement with a clown-like leader despite this "leader" isn't really a intelligent mastermind.     

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Again I haven't seen that movie so I can't judge just how socially relevant the film is, but Joker is not forced at all, its tone pretty much reflect American society nowdays,. A bunch of ill-treated group (either genuinely discriminated by the system or just being self-pity), fed up with the system and starting an uprising against power class, forming a cult-like movement with a clown-like leader despite this "leader" isn't really a intelligent mastermind.     

Yep, it bascially prophesied the events of 2020.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chicago said:

Yeah we were getting an original sci fi hit every fall at one point. Gravity to Interstellar then the Martian. After that they have all underwhelmed at the box office with Passengers and Arrival in 2016, Blade Runner 2017, First man 2018 and Ad Astra in 2019. Being my favourite genre, I hope this can break the mold 

Though Arrival was actually a solid hit given its budget 

Yeah, Arrival certainly counts as a hit. A scifi movie devoid of action making 100 mil is a miracle. I'd actually consider Passengers a success given the lack of IP and its legs, but I understand the 'budget' of it all makes people want to trash how it performed. 

Ad Astra was poorly marketed and First Man isn't even scifi, it's a biopic. Blade Runner is the only predecessor here that portends possibly bad numbers for Dune. That being said, HBO MAX all but guarantees it anyway. The only silver lining is that maybe the day-and-date release will lower the threshold for success as the studio defines it, and thus they may be more likely to greenlight a sequel. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't remember anyone linking LOTR with 9/11 other than the sequel being called the two towers. When it comes to blockbuster films about war on terror, I think TDK did one of the best jobs 

Edited by Chicago

the only link between BD 2049 and Dune is the director. Dune is a huge movie, you're gonna see how the connection between the two movies feel forced.

BD 2049 is a sci fi noir/action. Netflix makes like 45 movies like that every year. It's a genre so overproduced I think People nowadays feel it's like something you can find on netflix or on a HBO series. 

Reminiscience by Lisa Joy flopped so hard too cause it seems just the next Hbo sci fi. And by the way as for BD 2049 it's not true, if you love noir it's not a bad movie at all with very interesting visuals.

Dune looks like a big sci fi epic you want to see on a big screen! 

Edited by vale900

I'm reading some reaction from the TIFF. 

I would say 75% are very positive and 25% kinda of disappointed so the same as Venice. Most of them are critics only for rotten so i guess on RT for now the percentage won't change a lot.

Now we have to wait for the critics in New York. 

Edited by vale900

The New york Post 

‘Dune’ review: Sci-fi spectacle will blow your mind

“Star Wars,” “Lord of the Rings” and “Avatar,” bow down to “Dune.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/11/dune-review-sci-fi-spectacle-will-blow-your-mind/?utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

😅😅

Anyway Amc has opened the pre sales in the US. 

Edited by vale900

6 minutes ago, vale900 said:

The New york Post 

‘Dune’ review: Sci-fi spectacle will blow your mind

“Star Wars,” “Lord of the Rings” and “Avatar,” bow down to “Dune.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/11/dune-review-sci-fi-spectacle-will-blow-your-mind/?utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

😅😅

Anyway Amc has opened the pre sales in the US. 

Please post that in Tracking so that tracking team starts to track pre-sales. :)