CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Once it hits HBO Max (and torrent sites), there's gonna be loads of people giving it a casual watch on their laptops thinking "this was supposed to be good, and I like sci-fi", get really bored almost immediately, and the IMDb rating subsequently goes down significantly. It's gonna do that anyway, but unleashing it on the world for "free" that soon will only make it more extreme.

Not that this matters lol, but I wouldn't put any stock in the 8.7 it currently has, 'nor compare it to Joker.

Edited by Lucas

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Once it hits HBO Max (and torrent sites), there's gonna be loads of people giving it a casual watch on their laptops thinking "this was supposed to be good, and I like sci-fi", get really bored almost immediately, and the IMDb rating subsequently goes down significantly. It's gonna do that anyway, but unleashing it on the world for "free" that soon will only make it more extreme.

Not that this matters lol, but I wouldn't put any stock in the 8.7 it currently has, 'nor compare it to Joker.

I read the same "casual audience won't love this movie and get bored" for BD 2049 when it started at around 8.3-8.4 (with the same votes) on imdb.

Now with 500K votes still has a 8.0/10. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vale900 said:

I read the same "casually audience won't love this movie" for BD 2049 when it started at around 8.3-8.4 (with the same votes) on imdb.

Now with 500K votes still has a 8.0/10. 

Blade Runner 2049 wasn't unleashed for "free" on the world on opening day, 'nor was the marketing playing it up as a much more audience friendly film than it really is. It did go from sitting at 8.5-8.4 during its entire theatrical run to quickly dropping once it became available on VOD. Dune can have a much more extreme reaction much faster.

Edited by Lucas

20 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is going to be a monster in Euro-Russian continent and forget about bad WOM, this is the kind of movie this markets are crazy about. This is the event on par with LOTR and HP there. Also, Max or no Max (Canada gets HBO and Max content via Crave but not sure if it will carry Dune), it will blow up in Canadian theaters. WOM from TIFF is out of this world and 100% "see it on the biggest screen possible". 

Nope. But really hoping this does well!

39 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Blade Runner 2049 wasn't unleashed for "free" on the world on opening day, 'nor was the marketing playing it up as a much more audience friendly film than it really is. It did go from sitting at 8.5-8.4 during its entire theatrical run to quickly dropping once it became available on VOD. Dune can have a much more extreme reaction much faster.

True enough. I do wonder about the conventional understanding of audience friendliness though, since going by it something like Justice League should've massively outperformed Joker. It's possible we're not giving the general audience the respect they deserve.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

True enough. I do wonder about the conventional understanding of audience friendliness though, since going by it something like Justice League should've massively outperformed Joker. It's possible we're not giving the general audience the respect they deserve.

I sure hope we're not giving the general audience enough credit here, I would love that. I do think what helped Joker massively is people love and know that character. I certainly don't think it would've grossed a billion had it been called 'Arthur' and be completely divorced of the IP. The reverence for the Joker character coupled with the great reviews is what got most people into theaters to start. Hell, I remember getting a text from my mother saying she was interested in seeing it, and there is no way in hell that would've happened if it wasn't the Joker.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I sure hope we're not giving the general audience enough credit here, I would love that. I do think what helped Joker massively is people love and know that character. I certainly don't think it would've grossed a billion had it been called 'Arthur' and be completely divorced of the IP. The reverence for the Joker character coupled with the great reviews is what got most people into theaters to start. Hell, I remember getting a text from my mother saying she was interested in seeing it, and there is no way in hell that would've happened if it wasn't the Joker.

There's no question that the IP was massive for Joker, that's why I'm comparing it to Justice League though. Joker is big, but still not quite the level of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman combined. Probably if you went back in time to this forum before either released and asked people whether a quippy, action packed Justice League movie would outperform a slow burn movie centered around a mentally ill man, I feel people would've leaned towards Justice League with arguments of audience friendliness.

17 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Moderation

Yeah we're not doing this stuff today. Similar subjects to the Denis/Marvel stuff has already been talked about endlessly, will just lead to pointless arguments, and offers little value in terms of conversation. Move along.

Thank you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

There's no question that the IP was massive for Joker, that's why I'm comparing it to Justice League though. Joker is big, but still not quite the level of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman combined. Probably if you went back in time to this forum before either released and asked people whether a quippy, action packed Justice League movie would outperform a slow burn movie centered around a mentally ill man, I feel people would've leaned towards Justice League with arguments of audience friendliness.

Nah

I may not have been here during the release of JL or Joker but everyone understood that JL would bomb and Joker would do well should reviews be strong. Joker outgrossing JL didn't really come as a surprise to many people because JL had all those production issues, a shitty trailer and was coming off a terribly received predecessor. 

Joker on the other hand was trying something new and straight away that created alot of interest. Joker is also one of the most iconic villian's of all time, he's more famous than Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman so it's success was unsurprising 

Joker was the reason Suicide Squad opened so damn high 

Edited by Chicago

Numbers are numbers. 8.7/10 on imbd with almost 5K votes is really really a solid start. And for what I remember is around what Joker got for its first 15-20K votes. 

Anyway Marvel stans are coming so probably we'll see a 7.6/10 before tonight 😁

Edited by vale900

16 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Will this even make 70 million in the U.S.A

The only must see event film for GA seems to want to see in theaters right now is Shang Chi. Maybe The Matrix and Eternals will bring people out because it will not be Dune.

Doesn't the grave dancing get boring after a while? I've seen this post before, one might say it's nothing more than a cut and past of others.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I thought HP have 7 sequels.

Dune books have more sequels than HP series. Though everything written by Brian Herbert is considered hot garbage and bad fic. Dune purists usually stick with 4 books - Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune cause they are the Atreides Saga. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2