CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Per EC, no Thursday Night previews for Dune.  

Guess WB doesn't like free publicity. 

===

Also per EC, tickets go on sale next Monday.  

Showtimes are already starting to pop up at some locations, FWIW.

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1

I'm willing to bet James Gunn, being a fan of the theatrical experience, likely convinced the studio to move the HBO Max release up to Thursday evening (in US time) and that's why his movie is, to my knowledge, the only Warner movie this year to have Thursday night previews. Makes sense, since Warner marketed the whole thing around him.

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Per EC, no Thursday Night previews for Dune.  

Guess WB doesn't like free publicity. 

I'm guessing they're counting on the early international WoM to bring in that.

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Can't be the sole reason as there's been some WB previews this year.  The Suicide Squad, for one

Well there's only been two. And of those two, In the Heights and The Suicide Squad, they launched at the exact same time and day as they launched on HBO Max. It is pretty clear Max is the sole reason.

2 hours ago, Eric Soprano said:

Well there's only been two. And of those two, In the Heights and The Suicide Squad, they launched at the exact same time and day as they launched on HBO Max. It is pretty clear Max is the sole reason.

Allow me to rephrase.  In the Heights and The Suicide Squad showed that if WB wanted to, they could adjust the rollout of HBO Max to reflect a Thr Preview schedule.  They decided not to for reasons.

Maybe it was in the contracts for Miranda and Gunn and they didn't negotiate them away/they had more power within WB to put their foot down versus Villeneuve.  Maybe they pre-bought it out as part of a deal with Legendary.  Dunno.

But there must be some factors at play that made WB acquiesce to previews for ITH and TSS while deciding not to for Dune.  Coz I gotta tell you, interest in the film ain't one of them (unless one wants to be cynical and think that WB is using the interest in the film to drive more eyeballs to Max [which is absolutely possible]).

Dune will cross 100M OS this week (it's at 89M til Wed as per Charlie) without biggies such as UK, China, Japan, SK, Brazil, Mexico, Oz. So while I don't want to jinx it, over 200M OS looks asured. We will have 3 weeks of no new openings so spice flow will slow down, but then restarts on Oct 14-15 (Portugal, Japan) and kicks off in a big way Oct 21-22 (all the bggies except Oz which is early December). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Stingray said:

This was one of the most boring, lifeless, upside its own ass movies I have seen in a long time. I think David Lynch's Dune is David Lynch's worst movie, but I even prefer that one over this one.

Also, the score is horrible.

Lol.  

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Where has it been reported that this movie is getting Thursday night screenings? I can’t find that anywhere?

It hasn't been reported anywhere.  I'm reporting it here and now.  

Dune will be for sale on Thursday, October 21st at 6pm.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Where has it been reported that this movie is getting Thursday night screenings? I can’t find that anywhere?

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It hasn't been reported anywhere.  I'm reporting it here and now.  

Dune will be for sale on Thursday, October 21st at 6pm.  

EC is an industry insider, @WittyUsername.

But if you don't trust that, then trust this:

UeM8UoG.png

Edited by Porthos