CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, why wouldn't it get Thursday previews? Am I missing something?

Originally WB had decided that debuting on HBO Max at whatever time they normally drop was faaaaaar more important than silly things like money and press from previews.

(my take on their stance, but maybe not an entirely uncharitable one)

I would encourage all Dune and Matrix fans to raise a petition on change.org and get tons of signatures to make it theatrical release. Since HBO Max is internal application I dont know what commitments will be broken by change of plans. So far AT&T has not revealed the benefits of simultaneous release. it barely added 2.8 million subs in Q2 which is nothing for the cost of this release model. 

I am personally ok as I could watch for free on my OLED tv :-) But its bad for BO as a whole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would encourage all Dune and Matrix fans to raise a petition on change.org and get tons of signatures to make it theatrical release. Since HBO Max is internal application I dont know what commitments will be broken by change of plans. So far AT&T has not revealed the benefits of simultaneous release. it barely added 2.8 million subs in Q2 which is nothing for the cost of this release model. 

I am personally ok as I could watch for free on my OLED tv 🙂 But its bad for BO as a whole. 

Actually we have no idea how WB or AT&T will response ,if they see encouraging presale, they may draw a conclusion that HBO max doesn't affect box office. If PS did bad, they can also turnaround an say they were wise to predict the death of cinema. 

Maybe we need NTTD to overperform too to really change AT's view or at least give WB more bargaining chip, or at least put some pay wall for Dune when the movie debut. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually we have no idea how WB or AT&T will response ,if they see encouraging presale, they may draw a conclusion that HBO max doesn't affect box office. If PS did bad, they can also turnaround an say they were wise to predict the death of cinema. 

Maybe we need NTTD to overperform too to really change AT's view or at least give WB more bargaining chip, or at least put some pay wall for Dune when the movie debut. 

If Shang-Chi and Venom haven't convinced them nothing will.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

these numbers seem underwhelming, unless there are still major markets to open

No, numbers are super good cause it's only 32 markets that don't include biggies such as UK, China, Japan, SK, Oz, Mexico, Brazil. Those markets start the release from Oct 13-14 (2) and then the rest 21-22 and Oz in Dec.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

If Shang-Chi and Venom haven't convinced them nothing will.

I just can't believe there is no discussion internally among them after Venom and SC, especially when their own movies are doing tepid number like Malignant and cry macho are still doing little things level number after all the improvement. 

Last i check they still a profit-oriented company instead of some charity fund that provide free entertainment.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

At the risk of potentially looking stupid, I can’t tell if this is a joke or not. 

Joke. 

34 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I just can't believe there is no discussion internally among them after Venom and SC,

Make that Venom and NTTD. SC is the movie that was made with a goal to set China boxoffice on fire like what NTTD is doing right now in UK. But they didn't mix the right ingrediencies and ended up with the release ban. And in all honesty, SC boxoffice is mostly due to barren September. OW was fine but BW opened bigger even with PA. It chugs along but doesn't post impressive numbers cause it never started that high so even legs aren't getting that far, as good as they may be. OTOH, what NTTD is doing OS is pretty mind-blowing and Venom dom and Russian opening of course.

BTW, Dune has better grosses than SC in a number of European countries so SC isn't exactly a bar it should strive for since it surpassed it.