CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I mean, either one means 2/3 good movies and then poorly planned out cashgrab sequels.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the pinnacle of franchise film making.  Other recent franchise outings comparable to it would be Bladerunner 2049 and Fury Road.  These are all really confidently made with a razor sharp focus not seen very often in those types of movies.  The director of Dune made one of those so even if it falls a bit short I suspect its gonna be much closer to those than otherwise.  Really digging the aesthetic of Dune from the trailers, can't wait to see it.  Denis Villenueve to me has the storytelling skills of a David Fincher combined with the visual panache of say a Ridley Scott.

I don't say this as a hater, but when you look at the Star Wars series, it really has devolved into a box ticking corporate committee brand to print money without any voice and vision behind it, nothing really stands out about them.  The only exception to that in 40 years is a really good stripped down western TV show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

If it hadn't been for simu release, would Dune OW over Bond OW been in play DOM? :thinking: 

Just saw in Variety that Villeneuve | said he would like to direct a Bond movie.

I doubt anything will come from this, unless Villeneuve |  is willing to give up a lot of the artistic control he has over his films. In the Bond films, Brocolli and Wilson make a lot of the decisions that a director usuallly makes, and in the end they run the franchise. I would be interested to see what he could do with 007, but I doubt it would happen.  I suspect this will go the same way as Tarantino's making noises about directing a Bond film went.

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Isn't the tracking thread pointing to a $9-10 million Thursday night preview number for Dune? It will likely open over No Time to Die. That would finally mean the end of fans blaming HBO Max for some of WB's recent bombs.

I track a large MTC and I can say for sure ignore early tracking for projections. NTTD looked good until final few days when there was no ramp up we saw with Venom. So until final week one can never say where it will end up. Only thing we know is it wont bomb domestic for sure. 

• Like 6

On 10/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ozymandias said:

I don't say this as a hater, but when you look at the Star Wars series, it really has devolved into a box ticking corporate committee brand to print money without any voice and vision behind it, nothing really stands out about them.  The only exception to that in 40 years is a really good stripped down western TV show.

Nah. You can say a lot of things about about the movies and shows since the OT but plenty other than the Mandalorian have a voice and vision, in fact I'd argue that the Mandalorian has less vision than PT/TCW/Rebels, but that is neither here nor there really. TLJ also had a vision, I didn't like it much but it definitely had a directorial voice. 

49 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Isn't the tracking thread pointing to a $9-10 million Thursday night preview number for Dune? It will likely open over No Time to Die. That would finally mean the end of fans blaming HBO Max for some of WB's recent bombs.

I would be careful with book adaptations as they have a committed fanbase that can make them very presale heavy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I won't hold my breath but once upon a time projected "bomb" Dune opening above NTTD would be legendary.  My fmaily bought a lot of tickets so lets go Dune! :stirthepot:

Would the English let a Frenchie direct Bond? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If it makes 60m with the HBO max then people will just be assuming it would have made alot more without it 

37 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I'd be shocked if Dune opens that high, though it does have seemingly every star in Hollywood and the marketing has been everywhere.

Don't think it will open that high either. WB's biggest OW this year is still GvK with 32.2M. Dune making twice as much is a tall order.

• Disbelief 1

On 10/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, DInky said:

Don't think it will open that high either. WB's biggest OW this year is still GvK with 32.2M. Dune making twice as much is a tall order.

Well GvK opening doesn't really matter, it would've been way higher if it was released in these conditions anyway. If theatrical exclusive would have easily opened 100+ in the fall.