CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

About 150 pages into the book and definitely having to force myself to keep going. I get why it's a big deal and the prose is certainly accessible enough but the stakes feel curiously low, despite the harsh environment. That said I can see why a streamlined script would make for a great movie, so I'm still excited to see it.

Edited by Hatebox

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

About 150 pages into the book and definitely having to force myself to keep going. I get why it's a big deal and the prose is certainly accessible enough but the stakes feel curiously low, despite the harsh environment. That said I can see why a streamlined script would make for a great movie, so I'm still excited to see it.

Ha ha, I guess you are reading Leto and Liet-Kynes ecological debate and Shadam IV and Space Guild trade debates without memes such as "this is getting out of hand, there are now two of them" and "I'll make it legal". :lol: Yes, that was tough on me too. Every time. I re-read the books every year. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Ha ha, I guess you are reading Leto and Liet-Kynes ecological debate and Shadam IV and Space Guild trade debates without memes such as "this is getting out of hand, there are now two of them" and "I'll make it legal". :lol: Yes, that was tough on me too. Every time. I re-read the books every year. 

This is where I humble brag/nerd flex that in the midst of people online mentioning how they struggled to read the book, I first read Dune when I was 11. 

2 hours ago, RRA said:

This is where I humble brag/nerd flex that in the midst of people online mentioning how they struggled to read the book, I first read Dune when I was 11. 

Ha ha, I read it at 13 I think and the slow/less comprehensive parts didn't deter me though I admit I always struggle. It's like "oh joy, Liet Kynes chapter". :lol:

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Ha ha, I read it at 13 I think and the slow/less comprehensive parts didn't deter me though I admit I always struggle. It's like "oh joy, Liet Kynes chapter". :lol:

I think I read it at the same age. Though I didn't really find it slow but I would always read very fast at that age so I didn't find any book slow, if I was bored with a scene would just speedread. 

1 hour ago, Menor said:

I think I read it at the same age. Though I didn't really find it slow but I would always read very fast at that age so I didn't find any book slow, if I was bored with a scene would just speedread. 

Speedread...that's a  good trick. Must adopt it in the future. :)

Edited by Valonqar

I bought the book at the beginning of 2020, but unfortunately, I still haven’t finished it. That’s not so much because I think it’s boring, but more that I’ve been holding off on it because of other things that have been going on. My edition is over 600 pages and I’ve read up to page 344 as of now. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I bought the book at the beginning of 2020, but unfortunately, I still haven’t finished it. That’s not so much because I think it’s boring, but more that I’ve been holding off on it because of other things that have been going on. My edition is over 600 pages and I’ve read up to page 344 as of now. 

You're just hitting the best stuff.

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

since the movie is split in 2, you must have covered the ground of the first movie in those 344 pages.