CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Reviews on rottentomatoes have started coming in more frequently now. Starting yesterday there have been 23 reviews with ratings added (28 total), and 7 of them have been top marks. So far leaning well above the average for big movies.

Finished the first book a few weeks ago and really liked it. Hopefully that’ll give me a richer experience when I watch the movie. I’ve been debating reading the next couple of books but I’ll probably save them for closer to when the sequel gets made/released. Wonder if they might try to lead into Dune Messiah with the next movie or just make it a definite ending. 

1 hour ago, Deja23 said:

Finished the first book a few weeks ago and really liked it. Hopefully that’ll give me a richer experience when I watch the movie. I’ve been debating reading the next couple of books but I’ll probably save them for closer to when the sequel gets made/released. Wonder if they might try to lead into Dune Messiah with the next movie or just make it a definite ending. 

I expect they'd do a bit of setup for Messiah.  It's a pretty smooth continuation of the story.  The only issue is that starting with Messiah each book sort of needs the next book up through God Emperor of Dune...And God Emperor of Dune would be a tricky movie to make.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I expect they'd do a bit of setup for Messiah.  It's a pretty smooth continuation of the story.  The only issue is that starting with Messiah each book sort of needs the next book up through God Emperor of Dune...And God Emperor of Dune would be a tricky movie to make.

I'd argue Messiah is actually a fine ending to the story, and they could make small adjustments to make it even moreso. Sure, it has setups for Children of Dune, but it also completes the first arc of the saga.

• Like 1

Part 1 left too much stuff from the book's Part 1 out with an intention to pick up the threads in Part 2. So that + natural part 2 = too busy to add Messiah stuff which can wait for a proper movie. Not to mention that, being a shorter book, Messiah will be 1 movie, not a 2 parter most likely. 

I do agree that Messiah is a natural ending and they don't need to adapt Children, God Emperor etc at least in a movie form. Children worked really well as a mini series and you could feel that Messiah parts could have been a movie easily but Children is more about court intrigue which works better in series format.

God Emperor is just bonkers so that one would be tough to adapt either way. Sy Fy, which did Dune/Messiah/Children adaptation didn't go there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Starphanluke said:

I'd argue Messiah is actually a fine ending to the story, and they could make small adjustments to make it even moreso. Sure, it has setups for Children of Dune, but it also completes the first arc of the saga.

Yeah, maybe it's just because of how familiar I am with and how much I enjoy the rest of the story that it feels incomplete to not follow through with some of the characters in Messiah.

It's a shame about God Emperor though.  It basically guarantees we'll never get Heretics of Dune on the big screen, which I think would be one the best for adaptation.

Edited by ZackM

19 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Just end it after Dune proper. The other stuff is a tough sell, even pre-God Emperor. 

Leaving out Messiah is kind of like ending Into the Woods at the middle with the deceptive happy ending, leaving out the second part that overtly deconstructs fairy tale tropes. Messiah is where the themes of the story really come to life. 

• Like 1

So Warners is intent to outplay the theatrical release by any means necessary. Now it pushed the HBO release by some half a day. It will start on Thursday at 3PM EST / 6PM PDT.

Does that mean HBO forked out some additional money to the film's production company to compensate it for such a move? Who knows. But if it didn't, there may be some lawsuits incoming...

Edited by eridani

Shouldn't it be exact to the day and hour? There are two issues here: going hours early before any preview.

And HBO is available to its maximum efficiency right away. While the Thursday previews will be shown in a smaller number of venues than the proper release on Friday.

My personal point is - it'd be nice to know what sort of arrangement does HBO and production company have. HBO release detracts from the box office to some degree. Thus it had to be compensated. I'm sure all of that was negotiated beforehand. But what are the percentages there? Media mentioned Warners put up 25% of the production money. In a normal world, that might suggest warners get 25% of the box office. But due to HBO thing the whole arrangement may've been different. Did they negotiate to get 20% of the box office? Is HBO worth a 5% difference? Or more? Or less? Those are the details that interest me but sadly, I doubt the general public will ever know such details...

I guess the other possible arrangement is that Warners for its 25% get total NA market. So then its totally up to them if they want to do more of a HBO release or more of a theater release. It's gonna impact their bottom line. For that to work, though, all other overseas earnings would then have to go to the people who forked out the remaining 75% of the money.  And even so, I'd say that'd be an unwise deal for those who are not Warners as it was always evident the NA would be more than a quarter of total worldwide market for Dune.

1 hour ago, eridani said:

So Warners is intent to outplay the theatrical release by any means necessary. Now it pushed the HBO release by some half a day. It will start on Thursday at 3PM EST / 6PM PDT.

Does that mean HBO forked out some additional money to the film's production company to compensate it for such a move? Who knows. But if it didn't, there may be some lawsuits incoming...

Release is at 6pm EST, same time as earliest previews in NA.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, eridani said:

Shouldn't it be exact to the day and hour? There are two issues here: going hours early before any preview.

And HBO is available to its maximum efficiency right away. While the Thursday previews will be shown in a smaller number of venues than the proper release on Friday.

As mentioned above, 6PM ET is the start of previews domestically.

Besides, this day and date release strategy is better than what it was originally. If they had never opted to do Thursday previews, it would’ve released on HBO Max at 12AM PT/3AM ET Friday. Hours before the first showings for Friday.

If you're planning to watch Dune, please read this.

I re-read the book just before I went to watch Dune in theaters. Here's some advice on it:

1. Yes, this is something you don't want to miss in theaters. It can be a cinematic experience that goes to the bone. Something that I haven't experienced since LOTR. The enormity of it all, the new world it opens up, the beauty, and the score...

2. Why "can be"? Like with all experiences, you need to be ready for it. Reading the book beforehand is okay but you need to leave it at the door when you enter the cinema. Especially this movie needs that you calm your mind before seeing it. Have a good night sleep beforehand, meditate, drink a beer or do whatever it takes to tame your monkey mind before you enter the showing. Don't compare it to the book during the experience, just sit there, don't think, let it sink in. I caught myself comparing it to the book many times but at the end I was able to forget it and just relax. I can tell that it is authentic, true to the book, and it opened up the world that I imagined when I read Dune the first time 20 some years ago, but please, make yourself open for it, just take it in. Time for analyzing is afterwards.

If you do these things, there's a good chance that you experience something wonderful and precious. I'm going back to see it again and this time follow better my own advice. At its best it is a dream like world where you can spend countless of hours and you wished that you could explore it freely looking behind the corners, walking the corridors, flying the ornithopters... When Villeneuve said that it is a love letter to cinema, it isn't an empty cliché but an apt description. The love of making huge detailed sets, costumes, and using as little cgi as possible, and shooting in real desert locations shows in the performances of the actors and the realness of it all.

Go see it. Prime yourself ready for it and you just might experience something wonderful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, von Kenni said:

If you're planning to watch Dune, please read this.

I re-read the book just before I went to watch Dune in theaters. Here's some advice on it:

1. Yes, this is something you don't want to miss in theaters. It can be a cinematic experience that goes to the bone. Something that I haven't experienced since LOTR. The enormity of it all, the new world it opens up, the beauty, and the score...

2. Why "can be"? Like with all experiences, you need to be ready for it. Reading the book beforehand is okay but you need to leave it at the door when you enter the cinema. Especially this movie needs that you calm your mind before seeing it. Have a good night sleep beforehand, meditate, drink a beer or do whatever it takes to tame your monkey mind before you enter the showing. Don't compare it to the book during the experience, just sit there, don't think, let it sink in. I caught myself comparing it to the book many times but at the end I was able to forget it and just relax. I can tell that it is authentic, true to the book, and it opened up the world that I imagined when I read Dune the first time 20 some years ago, but please, make yourself open for it, just take it in. Time for analyzing is afterwards.

If you do these things, there's a good chance that you experience something wonderful and precious. I'm going back to see it again and this time follow better my own advice. At its best it is a dream like world where you can spend countless of hours and you wished that you could explore it freely looking behind the corners, walking the corridors, flying the ornithopters... When Villeneuve said that it is a love letter to cinema, it isn't an empty cliché but an apt description. The love of making huge detailed sets, costumes, and using as little cgi as possible, and shooting in real desert locations shows in the performances of the actors and the realness of it all.

Go see it. Prime yourself ready for it and you just might experience something wonderful.

This sounds wonderful!

This also is why I tend to read books AFTER I see films based on them. I don't want any sort of expectations going in. The book can only enrich the film experience but the other way around can be irritating.

• Like 1