CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but it's a travesty that a film like this is going to be available right away on streaming. Imagine saying to yourself "Nah, Imma stay on my couch and watch Dune for the first time at home". If this even comes close to being the next Lord of the Rings it needed to be seen exclusively in theatres.

1 hour ago, Val357 said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but it's a travesty that a film like this is going to be available right away on streaming. Imagine saying to yourself "Nah, Imma stay on my couch and watch Dune for the first time at home". If this even comes close to being the next Lord of the Rings it needed to be seen exclusively in theatres.

i missed the first lord of the rings in cinemas and it's still my favourite one, so whatever.

For the "how many Dune movies" question, Villeneuve has clearly said in interviews that he wants to direct Dune Part 1 & 2 and Dune Messiah.

I'm sure that if these are financially successful WB & Legendary start to milk the new world in every possible way. You could create endless amount of spinoff series in Dune universe like from LOTR (Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales) or like Mandalorian is doing with Star Wars. Of course you need someone like Jon Favreu who loves the source material, has the craft, and a vision where to take the storyworld. Very, very, very improbable happening with Dune but I'll be ecstatic already if Villeneuve can make the trilogy.

Then maybe in 10 years we get a new "Villeneuve" doing magic with the Foundation & Robot series or the Rendezvous with Rama.

Oh well, one dream at a time...

Seriously I am not worry about if there is going to be Part 2, I am more worry that the actual movie (I have seen it) is not audience-friendly enough to expand its audience base.  Even its action scene is seen more stylist than thrilling. Not-to-mention its heavy political plot and I remember people complain about SW1:TPM being too political. As much as i like the product, I doubt this can live up to the  ambitious commercial goal that WB envisages.     

• ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

For the "how many Dune movies" question, Villeneuve has clearly said in interviews that he wants to direct Dune Part 1 & 2 and Dune Messiah.

I'm sure that if these are financially successful WB & Legendary start to milk the new world in every possible way. You could create endless amount of spinoff series in Dune universe like from LOTR (Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales) or like Mandalorian is doing with Star Wars. Of course you need someone like Jon Favreu who loves the source material, has the craft, and a vision where to take the storyworld. Very, very, very improbable happening with Dune but I'll be ecstatic already if Villeneuve can make the trilogy.

Then maybe in 10 years we get a new "Villeneuve" doing magic with the Foundation & Robot series or the Rendezvous with Rama.

Rendezvous with Rama is nowhere near as commercial-friendly as Dune. Also it's basically one good book and doesn't set up a super vast world like Dune. Though I might be underselling the series, I didn't even make it halfway through the sequel because it was just such a step down from the first. 

59 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

43 minutes ago, Menor said:

Rendezvous with Rama is nowhere near as commercial-friendly as Dune. Also it's basically one good book and doesn't set up a super vast world like Dune. Though I might be underselling the series, I didn't even make it halfway through the sequel because it was just such a step down from the first. 

Rendezvous With Rama is rad and I disagree about its commercial aspects: I think it would work really well as a “exploring the unknown” movie. Granted, only do one movie, don’t do the sequels. 

So the people comparing this to fellowship, just to be clear, you're saying everything about it is perfect?

-pitch perfect casting with every character being memorable

-perfectly balanced script with perfect pacing

-incredible score

-famous moments like "one does not simply..." and "you shall not pass"

-some really touching moments like Gandalf's time moment and Boromir's redemption

-genius world building with great inventive visuals and production design

whew, sounds like a once in a generation type of movie, hope my expectations aren't getting too high!

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So the people comparing this to fellowship, just to be clear, you're saying everything about it is perfect?

-incredible score

-some really touching moments like Gandalf's time moment and Boromir's redemption

whew, sounds like a once in a generation type of movie, hope my expectations aren't getting too high!

But FOTR isn’t perfect. 🤔

• Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Rendezvous With Rama is rad and I disagree about its commercial aspects: I think it would work really well as a “exploring the unknown” movie. Granted, only do one movie, don’t do the sequels. 

I think it could make a very good movie, but not sure about audience appeal. It would be a pretty "cold" movie, for lack of a better word. Not something that would do too well at the BO. 

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

-incredible score

As much as i love Dune, FOTR it is not. That's not a knock on Dune, FOTR is just so amazing. The whole trilogy actually, even though i have a couple issues with ROTK but the highlights, oh the highlights...

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think it could make a very good movie, but not sure about audience appeal. It would be a pretty "cold" movie, for lack of a better word. Not something that would do too well at the BO. 

I mean, it really depends on the director, tbh. The book characters are relatively bland but there’s ways to spice them up, and I don’t think exploration/adventure is intrinsically cold. I mean, if you didn’t read the book, The Martian doesn’t sound super dynamic unless you’re a space nerd. 

…but I’m drifting off-topic. 

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Rebecca Ferguson cries a lot in Dune based on reviews and fan reviews so I'd say we can lay "cold" to rest. Emotions run high at least with one character. :)