CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 minutes ago, famicommander said:

He didn't copy the entire plot 1:1 in chronological order but it's clear the influence of Dune oozes all throughout all six films from Lucas in the series. It goes far, far beyond the superficial similarities of Arrakis and Tattooine. Right down to the shocking way the second entries in the respective franchises ended. 

It's like trying to argue that DnD didn't take a lot from Lord of the Rings. LOTR wasn't the only source Gygax drew upon by any means but to deny the massive, massive influence would be absurd.

Star Wars is pretty much Dune with some parts snipped out and replaced with Kurosawa movies and Flash Gordon. And I love it for that.

Dune being one of the inspirations is very different from "Star Wars is pretty much Dune with some parts snipped out." That characterization just seems hyperbolic to me. They are different types of stories at the core.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s pretty well established Dune was a big inspiration to Lucas and he borrowed heavily from it. Not only from it, of course — it’s basically a big mashup of a bunch of things he liked. 

This line, I'm in.

He borrowed from all sorts of things including everything mentioned above in this thread as well as WW II films (and even Nazi Propaganda films).

And Joseph Campbell, of course. 

Is there a lot of Dune in SW?  Of course.  There's also a whole lot of other things in there.  It's one of the most pure examples of Genre Mashup that there is.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This line, I'm in.

He borrowed from all sorts of things including everything mentioned above in this thread as well as WW II films (and even Nazi Propaganda films).

And Jopesph Campbell, of course. 

Is there a lot of Dune in SW?  Of course.  There's also a whole lot of other things in there.  It's one of the most pure examples of Genre Mashup that there is.

You can argue the same thing with John Carter of Mars as well (ironically why it was so hard to get a film made)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Menor said:

I would say Tatooine is quite heavily inspired by Dune but Star Wars as a whole? Not really. The stories are completely different.

Jedi took cues from the Bene Gesserit, a religious order who are trained with magic powers and when needed, combat skills too. Not a knock at Lucas or SW, but it is what it is (though Herbert was annoyed by this and passive aggressively mentioned a “threepeo” in one of his later books, his term for something that copied something but not as good.)

I find this online SW/Dune back and forth lately weird. Are we really rehashing old nerd talking points? When the new Fantastic Four movie drops, will people go “oh hey Vader ripped off Dr Doom!” 

What am I kidding? Of course they will. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

This line, I'm in.

And Joseph Campbell, of course. 

I would argue a rare “original” movie comparable to that is The Matrix. Wears its Phillip K. Dick/cyberpunk/anime/Hong Kong cinema influences clearly on its sleeves, but distilled into something uniquely memorable. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, famicommander said:
  Hide contents

-Both Luke Skywalker and Paul Atreides are direct descendants of the villain in a twist reveal, both are absurdly powerful due to their genetics, both have biblical names, one has a sister named Alia, the other a sister named Leia

-Bene Gesserit martial arts are called Prana-Bindu, Jedi martial arts are called Jedi-Bindu. In general, both the Bene Gesserit and Jedi are groups of quasi-government super beings that act on their own dogma in service of what they see as the greater good. Both also consider love to be taboo due to its potential negative influence on judgement. The Jedi Mind Trick is also basically Bene Gesserit Voice

-The Sarlacc Pit is a hole with a giant sandworm in it

-The Trade Federation is an amalgamation of CHOAM and the Spacing Guild

-The Fremen collect atmospheric water through wind traps, the Lars family does it through vaporizers

-Spice Harvesters are in both, Star Wars repulsors are basically Dune suspensors

-Again, in the original script Leia was a member of the Great Houses protecting a shipment of Spice rather than a member of the Galactic Senate protecting Death Star blueprits

-Chani and Padme both die giving birth to super twins after their would-be messiah husband falls from grace

And that's not even close to all of it.

Ever noticed the overt parallels between House Atreides and House Stark too?

Spoiler

Right from daddy being offed down to bad ass little sister named Alia/Arya taking down the closest thing to a Big Bad with a wee lil knife.

2.5 would be very good legs here. One thing to remember is most max have opened on Fri, opening on Thursday will just the official legs even more. Saw this a bit with TSS legs despite having summer weekdays for crucial first week or two.

Looking forward to watching this on HBO.  For me, I wouldn't pay to go to the theater to see this, mainly because I think my 15 year old would be dead bored, but it is definitely the kind of thing where I can have a glass of wine and enjoy at home. 

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

That is an EXTREMELY roundabout way to confirm a sequel, but it seems like that's where it's heading.

That's promising. Hopefully we'll get the official word soon. 

Fingers crossed!

16 minutes ago, RRA said:

That's promising. Hopefully we'll get the official word soon. 

Fingers crossed!

They’ll announce it on Monday when they pump out their article to distract from the films OW (even if it comes in above estimates), like they did with In The Heights and Newark.

I hate when studios do that “buy/watch this show or product in order to get more instalments that have already been greenlit” crap. It feels dishonest.

Funny enough there are now 50 reviews on MetaCritic (almost done then), and of the six scores that aren't green, four of them came from that first day on Venice. After that there's only been one on Sep 13, then another (nearly green) on Oct 7, and everything else has been positive.

• Like 1