CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

29 minutes ago, Sano said:

Do yourself a favour and watch it in IMAX, if you can. Although the film is far from perfect, It's one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had.

Nah, I'm not comfortable going back to a crowded theaters yet.  The only reason I saw The Last Duel is because it flopped and I knew I'd be the only one in the theater on a weekday.

Plus, if the movie is genuinely great and not just a technical achievement like Avatar or Gravity, I don't think the size of the screen matters much.

Oh and its free 😀

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Nah, I'm not comfortable going back to a crowded theaters yet.  The only reason I saw The Last Duel is because it flopped and I knew I'd be the only one in the theater on a weekday.

Plus, if the movie is genuinely great and not just a technical achievement like Avatar or Gravity, I don't think the size of the screen matters much.

Oh and its free 😀

Just watch it in 4K on HBO max. Very good quality.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Oh and its free 😀

You're seriously underrating what sound design and IMAX quality images can do. Yes, a good movie is a good movie no matter the screen. But you're depriving yourself a world of difference in terms of experience. 

• Like 3

Still not sure how I feel about it. It wasn't satisfying, it really needs the sequel. But I love how Villeneuve just avoided every opportunity he had to make crowdpleasing action and emotional manipulation. It's for films like this that I still admire Warner Bros even with the shitty stuff their executives do now and then.

• Like 1

I don’t know. Something about it just felt, off. 

Sure, it looked really great and all the technical aspects are there. Really good set designs and overall look of the movie. I liked the designs for the ships/vehicles they ride around in. 

BUT

The story and characters felt cold to me. I didn’t really care about any of these characters except maybe Paul. Some of them are barely on screen.  I don’t know. Like I said, it just felt kinda cold and emotionless. 

Also, I didn’t really like the way it “ends”. It was too small of an end and didn’t make me feel like I was excited to see what happens next. Don’t know how well that’s going to play with general audiences. 

I’ll watch it again and see if it gets better for me. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I don’t know. Something about it just felt, off. 

Sure, it looked really great and all the technical aspects are there. Really good set designs and overall look of the movie. I liked the designs for the ships/vehicles they ride around in. 

BUT

The story and characters felt cold to me. I didn’t really care about any of these characters except maybe Paul. Some of them are barely on screen.  I don’t know. Like I said, it just felt kinda cold and emotionless. 

Also, I didn’t really like the way it “ends”. It was too small of an end and didn’t make me feel like I was excited to see what happens next. Don’t know how well that’s going to play with general audiences. 

I’ll watch it again and see if it gets better for me. 

Sounds like the sort of movie made for folks who collect Criterions.

• Like 1

Really ambitious movie. Need some time to take it all in. Still processing. 

Spoiler

LOL. Really enjoyed it though. Though some characters (Gurney, Thufir Hawat) could have used better adaptation, they really nailed the visuals and world. The ending was weird but there wasn't much to be done about it honestly. I really hope part 2 gets made so we get the payoff. 

• Like 2

Thinking about it, probably my only major issue with the movie was that the score got really overbearing at times. Felt like Zimmer was trying to blast my ears out in some of the scenes. The visuals were excellent, and I felt like some scenes could have just let them breathe a bit with a more understated score. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed it. Wasn’t perfect, but I’ll definitely see it again. It was so amazing in IMAX. Tonight was the most packed showing I’ve been to since TRoS.

I agree that the score was a bit much sometimes. There were some parts where I felt like they were jumping around a bit. Sometimes it didn’t feel like a natural ending to a scene and suddenly we cut to a different one. But all in all, it was quite good. 

5 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Sometimes it didn’t feel like a natural ending to a scene and suddenly we cut to a different one.

And I’ll add, this may be partly due to me finishing up to where the movie stops hours before my showing. So it was all very fresh on my mind even though I tried to leave my expectations from the book at the door.

Liked it but it really felt like a giant first act.Visuals were outstanding and production and costume design was top notch.

Acting was fine across the board but I couldn't connect much with the characters though rebecca ferguson was the stand out. Wanted to see more of the harkonnens and the sadaukar .

First 90 mins were great but the second half lowered it abit.

But I have to say currently reading and about 100 +pages in to the novel this would have worked better as a series 

B+

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1