CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Just got home from the IMAX. I loved it. There are a few scenes from the book I wish were in it; hoping some of them got filmed and we'll see them down the line in deleted scenes or an extended cut (the suspected traitor, the dinner party, Gurney's baliset, background into why Gurney and Duncan hate the Harkonnens so much, etc).

I'll just say it: Denis Villeneuve is the best director working today. He's legitimately as good as that insufferably pretentious assbag Christopher Nolan pretends to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 7

15 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Did anyone else have trouble hearing the dialogue? I could’ve really done with some subtitles

Oh god yes. There was a scene between Chalamet and Ferguson where I had literally no idea what either of them was saying.

57 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

Idk but I just can’t take anyone seriously if they say this film is “emotionless”. I just don’t know what they’re watching. 

The movie, probably without any prior attachment to the source material which I would go out on a limb and guess doesn’t apply to you if you’re defensive about it ;)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

I'll just say it: Denis Villeneuve is the best director working today. He's legitimately as good as that insufferably pretentious assbag Christopher Nolan pretends to be.

People always call Nolan 'pretentious' but it's completely the wrong word for him. He not a director trying to make the next Seventh Seal, he's trying to make the next Star Wars. And it's his populist impulses that are usually the problem.

Edited by Hatebox

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

People always call Nolan 'pretentious' but it's really not the right word for him. He not a director trying to make the next Seventh Seal, he's trying to make the next Star Wars. And it's his populist impulses that are usually the problem.

He literally said that he intentionally makes the dialogue hard to decipher in his movies because he wants people to have to struggle, because in his mind if they have to struggle that means they're paying closer attention. He also said to "feel, not think" about his movies. Well how the hell am I supposed to "feel" any kind of way about a protagonist so thin he's literally just called protagonist?

He makes movies that are convoluted and nonsensical in the hopes of confusing the masses, because the masses think anything that's sufficiently confusing must be smart. But sometimes it just means the story doesn't hold up to basic logic or common sense, which is the case in most of his movies and most especially his science fiction. It genuinely disturbs me when people talk about his science fiction movies (Inception, Interstellar, Tenet) as if they're anywhere near the quality of stuff from Villenueve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Dune) or Alex Garland (Dredd [uncredited director, credited writer/producer], Ex Machina, Annhiliation). 

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

Why is it when people point to “the best director working today” it’s always someone who exclusively makes $150M+-budgeted movies?

Denis Villeneuve budgets

Maelstrom - 3.4M

Polytechnique - 6.0M

Incendies - 6.8M

Prisoners - 46M

Enemy - unknown budget but it was an indie film

Sicario - 30M

Arrival - 46M

Blade Runner 2049 - 185M

Dune - 165M

?

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Why is it when people point to “the best director working today” it’s always someone who exclusively makes $150M+-budgeted movies?

Directors who make big budget films are more likely to reach many people, so they'll have more fans. Conversely, if a director is highly regarded he could get that sort of budgets from studios (e.g. Scorsese). It's not completely true though, Fincher, PTA, the Coens, all get best director shouts and aren't usually working with those budgets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

On this board, it's because we're mostly nerds and those 150m+ movies are usually in genres that us nerds are more likely to watch.

29 minutes ago, famicommander said:

It genuinely disturbs me when people talk about his science fiction movies (Inception, Interstellar, Tenet) as if they're anywhere near the quality of stuff from Villenueve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Dune) or Alex Garland (Dredd [uncredited director, credited writer/producer], Ex Machina, Annhiliation). 

I've never been a Nolan superfan, but to me Tenet is his first movie where he really stumbled, I literally LOL'd during it... its so ridiculous and plays out exactly like the caricature his detractors have long made of him.  And I really like Interstellar even though it gets silly sometimes because I really love space travel movies.

I do like Villenueve a lot though and hes easily one of my favorites.  After seeing Bladerunner 2049 and Dune, in many ways he feels like the aesthetic successor to Ridley Scott.  And now he wants to do a Cleopatra historical epic?  Sign me up.

And bravo for the shout out to Judge Frowny Face, one of the best movies of the 2010s.

Edited by Ozymandias

38 minutes ago, famicommander said:

It genuinely disturbs me when people talk about his science fiction movies (Inception, Interstellar, Tenet) as if they're anywhere near the quality of stuff from Villenueve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Dune) or Alex Garland (Dredd [uncredited director, credited writer/producer], Ex Machina, Annhiliation). 

Genuinely being disturbed because someone likes a piece of entertainment more than you do is very odd.

• Like 5