CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

To be fair, I’m being harder on this than something turn-your-brain-off like Venom.  Part of the problem for me was that it was close to being good and probably not far from being really good, and I can see that sort of out of the corner of my eye, so it ends up being judged harshly for coming close to being more than okay, but managing to whiff it. There’s a lot to like about it. It’s hard to focus on that when the ending was such a letdown.  Again, hoping for a sequel that lifts all boats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that ending was the best they could do under the constraint to keep the movie under 3 hours. I read the script which, IMO, cuts off at a more logical spot, but that would require more running time which studio didn't want. It also ended with a completely bonkers scene that I thought was a bad idea at the time but now I'm not so sure. It would have gotten people talking for sure. Also, the script had much more craziness than the movie, so, again, you can see that studio hand was firm to keep risky elements out of the movie. 

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Currently it's on 95% verified audience score on RT, 89% for all audiences, definitely higher than I expected from the reactions here.

It's pretty to look at, has good pacing, has sympathetic characters, isn't hard to understand and conveys well that it's part one of the story so you don't feel cheated even if the ending lacks the oomph. It's easy to recommend. 

I really loved it, my favorite movie of the year. I was afraid I wouldn't like the ending from the comments/reviews saying it was abrupt, but it was quite appropriate.

Spoiler

Paul accepting his fate as part of the Fremen and as the messianic leader of the crusade completes the beginning arc when he wasn't sure he wanted to be leader even of house Atreides. And the editing really sells that, with flashes of the visions of the future tied to the fight with Jamie.

8 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

First 90 mins were great but the second half lowered it abit.

Interesting.  I loved the entirety of the movie, but I felt like it was consistently building.  It just got better and better as it went on.

Kl so I've seen this shit twice now.

It's a digestible sci-fi film. I think all the talk of it being 'Star Wars for adults' is doing this movie a disservice. I can understand how the movie being a tad bit more colder than Star Wars could be mistaken for maturity but I wouldn't class it as being more mature than films from the YA era like the first two Hunger Games and Maze Runner.

I'll say the film could've done with a bit more of a setup so we have a better understanding of these Houses, The witches, and the politics of it all. It just pushes you straight into it. Fortunately you do pick up on what's going on through out the first half of the film, but did it have to be this way? Surely the opening narration could've used the word 'Harkonnen' instead of 'outsider'. Small stuff like that helps.

The characters are interesting enough. Paul is kinda mopey but he and his story are intriguing enough to hold your attention for 150 minutes. 

The film just seems kinda... same-y. I've seen this anti-colonial story with a boy-to-leader schtick before. Like so many times before. I get it. Spice represents oil and literal spices the British would invade over. The Fremen are parodies of middle eastern muslims, like what the Na'vi were to native Americans. I understand. I just wish they did more to make the story feel less stale. Squid Game gave us a familiar anti-capitalist analysis but it still felt like something new. 

It sounds great. It looks great, however, I believe one of the downsides of having all these big budget cinematic TV shows is that actual theatrical sci-fi feels less special. Visually I don't really know what makes this movie more eye-pleasing than TV shows we get weekly like Mandolorian, Raised by Wolves, and even the first couple episodes of Apple's Foundation. I'd argue that the score and sound are more of a reason to see this in cinemas than the visuals. A TV Speaker or cheap soundbar will not do.

It's a fun enough time. Loud noises and explosions. Decently paced. Gets from point A to point B. I just wish it was more than what it was. Was there anything I'll remember from my experience watching this thing? I don't know but it doesn't seem likely.

RATING: MATINEE - IT'S a fine time. I just don't think this is something you have to go out of your way to watch.

• Like 1

Re: Outsiders. Fremen call all Otherworlders Outsiders. They don't give a fuck if you are a Harkonnen or Atreides or whoever. Same shit to them. They all trespass. They accepted Liet Kynes which is why she answers Paul's question whetehr she was a Fremen with "I am accepted into the Sietch". So basically not a born Fremen but not an Outsider anymore.

That said, I think the movie distinguished the Houses well enough to know that baldo house is evil - they sneer "kill them all" -  while that hairy house is good cause they are pretty and kind. 

1 minute ago, ZackM said:

Discussing this movie is difficult because I keep wanting to talk about things within the full context of the story, but I can't because then I'd be spoiling Part II and beyond.

same. also Spoiler Thread wouldn't do the trick cause it would be only for the movie, not for what happens after.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Menor said:

Did the first scene with the Harkonnens feel chopped off to anyone else? Maybe it's just expectations from the book (where they explain their entire plan in the equivalent scene) but it felt like it ended really abruptly. I wonder if there was initially supposed to be more there.

I read an article where Denis explains that. 

Mild spoilers but I’ll put it in a spoiler tag

Spoiler

In Herbert’s novel, the Baron is rarely at a loss for words, as he schemes to destroy his mortal enemies in House Atreides. But in Villeneuve’s mind, the character was far more frightening if he kept his cards close to his vest, conveying his menace primarily in nonverbal ways. “I cut out most of the speech of the Baron,” Villeneuve says. “I wanted him to be a man of few words.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-10-21/dune-movie-book-changes-explained-denis-villeneuve?

But yeah, some of the scenes with the Harkonnens felt chopped off/strangely cut.

• Like 1