CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

12 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ll admit that it’s not one of his scores that I’d listen to that much in isolation as it’s mostly mood setting music, but “Leaving Caladan” is fantastic. The music absolutely suits the movie though and sounds amazing in IMAX/Dolby.

Exactly, it is there to support the picture in setting the mood and it does that very well, very atmospheric, very alien at times. I do wish though it had one or two memorable themes, though. The score for Terminator comes to mind, which is also not something to listen to on its own but it does have that one iconic theme that basically only plays at the beginning and end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

Whether it was the excruciating terror that overwhelmed Jessica when she feared loosing Paul, showing the mother's love for her son, simple gestures of father's love for Paul, Paul's pride looking his father in the ceremony, the tent scene with Paul and Jessica filled with fear, disgust, guilt, sorrow and love, the camaraderie among Gurney, Duncan, and their caring for Paul, Baron's numbness for life, yet the joy that a simple pleasure of eating can bring, Liet's and Stilgar's subtle hope for a better future of Arrakis and the prophecy becoming true, and the list goes on. The more I think about it the more moments I discover where I related to the emotions.

The acting for these was superb and I love that it wasn't on the nose or underlining anyway. Faithful to the context and set up of the story.

Very well said. I didn't find the characters cold or robotic at all. There were multiple instances where the warmth came through. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune was as cold as Nolan's TDK movies. Which is not at all. Yet Nolan is often called a cold film-maker. Oh well. Different strokes and all that. 

Nolan's TDK movies are just horribly plotted. The whole plot of Batman Begins hinges on nobody in the entire city of Gotham heating any water to the point of vaporization in like a two week span. In two weeks nobody in Gotham did laundry, washed dishes, cooked food, or bathed apparently. Also the fight scenes are horrible and Batman sounds like Cookie Monster.

Edited by famicommander
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Exactly, it is there to support the picture in setting the mood and it does that very well, very atmospheric, very alien at times. I do wish though it had one or two memorable themes, though. The score for Terminator comes to mind, which is also not something to listen to on its own but it does have that one iconic theme that basically only plays at the beginning and end.

Exactly. Personally I felt like this was the most “different” Hans Zimmer score since Interstellar. People criticising his scores lately for sounding “too Zimmer-ish” seem to forget that he constantly gets hired because directors WANT that type of sound. Admittedly he does occasionally borrow from himself (as all composers tend to do), but I can’t think of a single Zimmer score that didn’t suit the movie that it was created for.

Too early to say but Best Picture chances for Dune? Based on an acclaimed novel, talented director, also high reviews. It has all the ingredients.

Also is the sequel greenlight mainly up to Legendary since they paid for it? Did WB have ANYTHING to do with this besides putting it in Max?

5 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

So apparently, on social media, NOT thinking this movie is a masterpiece and the greatest thing ever makes me a trash person and I should stop watching movies, haha. I love humanity. 

Those people are so horrendously obnoxious. I loved the movie, but if you don’t like it I totally understand, and you’re entitled to your opinion. All these snobs are doing is gatekeeping and putting people off watching it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ll admit that it’s not one of his scores that I’d listen to that much in isolation as it’s mostly mood setting music, but “Leaving Caladan” is fantastic. The music absolutely suits the movie though and sounds amazing in IMAX/Dolby.

It just did not work at all for me. There were several scenes where I just wanted it to turn off and just leave the scene with no score it all because it was just overpowering everything else and felt like it was screeching in my ears. I can't like a film score that is actively detracting from my experience. 

And responding to your later post here, I do understand that directors want this sound, but I personally hate it and wish they didn't want it. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

It just did not work at all for me. There were several scenes where I just wanted it to turn off and just leave the scene with no score it all because it was just overpowering everything else and felt like it was screeching in my ears. I can't like a film score that is actively detracting from my experience. 

And responding to your later post here, I do understand that directors want this sound, but I personally hate it and wish they didn't want it. 

Completely understand your perspective even if I disagree. That’s just the nature of people’s taste in music though isn’t it, some people love dubstep whereas I think it’s horrendous noise. 

I will say though that one of my favourite parts of the film was where the score and all sound completely dropped out as those men in full space suits dropped down into the hideout, the silence was deafening.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Those people are so horrendously obnoxious. I loved the movie, but if you don’t like it I totally understand, and you’re entitled to your opinion. All these snobs are doing is gatekeeping and putting people off watching it. 

Thing is, I did enjoy the movie overall, I just didn’t really feel any connection with most of the characters other than Paul. Also, I feel like the ending was a little too small scale for me. 

That’s it. I’m still looking foreword to part 2. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes, agreed about plotting. But they are not cold and neither is DV's Dune. Characters don't have to go mushy every 5 min for a movie to be warm. :)

They should have cast Tom Holland for Paul. It wouldn't have been so cold then, plus we would have always known when he would be excited/surprised/happy/sad/etc. you know, all the emotions and not so stiff, robotic all the time.

oh my god GIF by Nerdist.com

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Too early to say but Best Picture chances for Dune? Based on an acclaimed novel, talented director, also high reviews. It has all the ingredients.

Like with LOTR they'll wait until the duology or trilogy is finished. If Villeneuve keeps on track, and still ups the game a notch, after Part 2 yes. Unless the "white saviour" narrative takes too much hold and they need to see Dune Messiah to drive the point that Paul definitely isn't that.

12 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

They should have cast Tom Holland for Paul. It wouldn't have been so cold then, plus we would have always known when he would be excited/surprised/happy/sad/etc. you know, all the emotions and not so stiff, robotic all the time.

oh my god GIF by Nerdist.com

:hahaha:

Well, I'm sure that the creators of parodies such as Scary Movie and Meet the Spartans will keep him in mind. :stirthepot:

So Dune weekend not only went up by 1M but also 0.01k! 41.01M!:bravo:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They can still nominate this movie for Best Picture, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that it wouldn’t win. Still, after how abysmal the ratings for this year’s Academy Awards were, it might help to have a reasonably popular movie as an awards contender. 

It's nearly locked for a nomination, though yeah it's obviously not taking picture. The second part might stand a chance, we'll see. I'm just crossing my fingers for a Villeneuve Best Director nomination.