CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's nearly locked for a nomination, though yeah it's obviously not taking picture. The second part might stand a chance, we'll see. I'm just crossing my fingers for a Villeneuve Best Director nomination.

The directors branch seem to be really supporting him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVGc03XvAqF/

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Dune needs to get Best Picture nom so WB can quickly make the sequel because they dont want to be humiliated at not greenlighting the second half of an Oscar level film.

It is a shame IT level success was never in the cards for Dune. WB waited until that was a huge success before going ahead with IT2. That was a duology that also should have been filmed back to back, because of the kids obviously aging between films.

Edited by Mojoguy

I'm not worrying on getting Part 2 but yeah, Villeneuve should definitely get a nomination and Dune Part 1 probably gets too. I think Villeneuve has a better chance winning than Dune itself with Part 1. Like with LOTR the academy wants to see both parts unless the other candidates are lousy. Although, Dune is made for cinema, utilizing all modern cinema's tools without letting them overrule the storytelling itself, so given the pandemic and streaming, it would make sense to award Dune as "Empire Strikes Back" card: Dune shows how you can experience something only in cinema.

That could fly...let's see the competition.

Why Legendary has yet to unveil plans for a sequel remains ambiguous, though an announcement could come shortly, according to insiders. Legendary and Warner Bros. declined to comment.

(...)

Legendary, which forged a distribution deal with Warner Bros. in 2018, was similarly dismayed by the HBO Max decision and threatened to take legal action at the time. The two companies have since hashed out frustrations and settled on a release strategy that satisfied both parties, one that involved paying Legendary the amount it would have received had the movie shattered box office records. Villeneuve and the film’s stars also received millions in back-end compensation.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 12:29 AM, Ozymandias said:

Fellowship ends with a climactic battle between the fellowship and Saruman's hunting party, the death and redemption of a major character, and the break up of the Fellowship of the Ring.

The Two Towers ends with a huge battle(the most spectacular ever filmed at the time, and in many ways still is) and the Ents destroying Isengard, effectively nullifying the chief antagonist of the first 2 movies, ending the union of The Two Towers.  The last scene of the movie is Sauron's tower and Mt. Doom underneath a fiery hell-like sky of lightning upping the stakes even more for the third and final movie.

Those movies have a clear beginning, middle, and end both narratively and structurally.   Dune just kinda ends.  And I'm not knocking dune, I mostly liked it.  Maybe doing it this way was the best way for the material, I don't know I haven't read any of the books, but I definitely want to see more of it though.

I considered the sandworm stuff and Paul's dagger fight to be the climax. But it get it, people have been conditioned to think a climax must be huge. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

I considered the sandworm stuff and Paul's dagger fight to be the climax. But it get it, people have been conditioned to think a climax must be huge. 

The climax of FELLOWSHIP isn't huge, but it feels momentous. The climax of DUNE doesn't.*

*As someone who hadn't read the book or seen the Lynch film beforehand.

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

The climax of FELLOWSHIP isn't huge, but it feels momentous. The climax of DUNE doesn't.*

*As someone who hadn't read the book or seen the Lynch film beforehand.

It's definitely a comedown from the Mines of Moria (the ending of Fellowship I mean, maybe you mean Moria by the climax though).

Edited by Last Man Standing

11 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Either you naysayers didn't see this in IMAX or you literally do not know what you're looking at when you watch movies. 

We can argue about everything but the visuals. The visuals are excellent and that's just a fact. 

Couldn't agree more on the visuals and how every shot is a work of art:

I'll be watching Dune next without sounds, or just subtle ambient score like this has...

The climax of this movie might not seem to be momentous on a purely plot level, but it absolutely is on a story level. It is a culmination of Paul as character. Of the death of Paul Atreides, as it were, and the birth of something else. Would've liked to see him being named Muad'Dib at the end, but that would probably would've been too on the nose

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Merkel said:

The climax of this movie might not seem to be momentous on a purely plot level, but it absolutely is on a story level. It is a culmination of Paul as character. Of the death of Paul Atreides, as it were, and the birth of something else. Would've liked to see him being named Muad'Dib at the end, but that would probably would've been too on the nose

But see, as someone with no previous experience with this story, it doesn't play like that - or at least it didn't for me. My impression of DUNE is that it's very clearly designed for people who already love DUNE. And as folks in this thread have compared it to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, that is the exact opposite approach Peter Jackson took (or Andy Muschietti took with IT, to compare it to WB's other recent intended duology).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ViewerAnon said:

But see, as someone with no previous experience with this story, it doesn't play like that - or at least it didn't for me. My impression of DUNE is that it's very clearly designed for people who already love DUNE. And as folks in this thread have compared it to THE LORD OF THE RINGS, that is the exact opposite approach Peter Jackson took (or Andy Muschietti took with IT, to compare it to WB's other recent intended duology).

That's entirely fair if it didn't play that way for you. Your experience is valid. I just wouldn't speak for everyone. 

I haven't read Dune, and knew essentially nothing about the story going into the movie, and Paul's character arc was evident. There are key scenes (and relationships), for me, that defined his emotional (psychological, spiritual) journey - and that culminated in the climax of the film in a satisfyingly character-oriented way. (Also, with a capable Timothée Chalamet.)

I need to see the film again (I plan to see it again sometime this week). The film has lingered with me, and it's richness deepens as I continue to reflect on it. There are hints of what is to come (and the larger story at play), and knowing that Paul has been transformed, while there is still a wider journey ahead for him, is a tantalizing part of this film. It's obviously only a Part One - but so is The Fellowship of the Ring. Neither film tells a complete story. But both Frodo and Paul make pivotal decisions that indicate their transformation, and that put them on a new path. This is satisfying because of where the characters have arrived in that moment and because it is a promise of more to come.

A strength of the film is the way that we are shown, and experience, this world and Paul's internal journey. This was my experience, at least. I wasn't as invested before, but I now really hope we get a Part Two.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

7 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

That's entirely fair if it didn't play that way for you. Your experience is valid. I just wouldn't speak for everyone. 

That is absolutely fair and I do not mean to speak for everyone. It's purely my experience with the film.

34 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I haven't read Dune, and knew essentially nothing about the story going into the movie, and Paul's character arc was evident. There are key scenes (and relationships), for me, that defined his emotional (psychological, spiritual) journey - and that culminated in the climax of the film in a satisfyingly character-oriented way. (Also, with a capable Timothée Chalamet.)

I need to see the film again (I plan to see it again sometime this week). The film has lingered with me, and it's richness deepens as I continue to reflect on it. There are hints of what is to come (and the larger story at play), and knowing that Paul has been transformed, while there is still a wider journey ahead for him, is a tantalizing part of this film. It's obviously only a Part One - but so is The Fellowship of the Ring. Neither film tells a complete story. But both Frodo and Paul make pivotal decisions that indicate their transformation, and that put them on a new path. This is satisfying because of where the characters have arrived in that moment and because it is a promise of more to come.

This was my partners experience with the film too, it has a very definite character climax, even if the plot itself doesn’t. If you’re invested in the characters then the film works as a stand-alone with the promise of more to come.

She was also baffled when I told her that the fight scene at the end wasn’t even in the Lynch version considering it’s such a pivotal moment for Paul’s character.