CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

But this completely ignores the importance of the theater experience.  Which is a massive part of the equation.  Why restrict the visual medium based on the story telling format?  A trilogy on the big screen is the best way to tell this story.

I'm not sure I understand you.  From what I'm seeing anecdotally, the theater experience of this film is precisely the problem for certain people.  I.E. they're bored.  And a trilogy can be fine...when you arc it the right way.  The Lord of the Rings examples used here serve the point.  Those movies worked.  DUNE clearly works for certain people...just not as many -- and I would argue that the people it's working best for were already invested fans/readers of the book.  But we need more quantifiable stats on this, sure.  

Disclaimer: I haven't seen Villeneuveeee's Dune, yet.  Perhaps this week (yes, on the big screen).  

40 minutes ago, ZackM said:

What are the chances we get an extended cut of the movie at some point?  There seems to have been a lot cut for time, but I'd happily consume a 3-3.5 hour version.

People keep saying this, but is there any evidence from Villeneuveeeee that he cut so much?  Everyone cuts something, but I don't know if there's any indication that there's like an hour of usable stuff missing here??

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ZackM said:

What are the chances we get an extended cut of the movie at some point?  There seems to have been a lot cut for time, but I'd happily consume a 3-3.5 hour version.

Denis Villeneuve used to say that anything he's cut is dead. So I guess don't expect it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'm not sure I understand you.  From what I'm seeing anecdotally, the theater experience of this film is precisely the problem for certain people.  I.E. they're bored.  And a trilogy can be fine...when you arc it the right way.  The Lord of the Rings examples used here serve the point.  Those movies worked.  DUNE clearly works for certain people...just not as many -- and I would argue that the people it's working best for were already invested fans/readers of the book.  But we need more quantifiable stats on this, sure.  

Disclaimer: I haven't seen Villeneuveeee's Dune, yet.  Perhaps this week (yes, on the big screen).  

People keep saying this, but is there any evidence from Villeneuveeeee that he cut so much?  Everyone cuts something, but I don't know if there's any indication that there's like an hour of usable stuff missing here??

The theater experience is the problem???  Huh??  Those PLF numbers are giving you the impression that the theater experience isn't working?  I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.  Not being rude, I'm just not sure how you've arrived at that thought.

Regarding what has been cut, there are a few substantial sequences that were apparently shot based on quotes from actors and some of those behind-the-scenes featurettes.

42 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Those movies worked.  DUNE clearly works for certain people...just not as many -- and I would argue that the people it's working best for were already invested fans/readers of the book.  But we need more quantifiable stats on this, sure.  

I think the general audience that has seen it hasn't been so polarized about it as in here. RT 83% critics, 91% audience!, IMDB 8.3, Cinemascore A- (Interstellar B+), record breaking IMAX admissions (not just in the US), and 30% in cinemas saying they would see it again in cinema. I'd say pretty clear that it works as it is in cinema.

Also I think the "does GA get it" is an unfounded notion. I was worrying a bit that after seeing it since I had read the book but a friend that saw it with me hadn't read the book and it was totally fine. He was eager to see it again. After that I've seen plenty of same reactions from those who haven't read it to conclude that "does GA get it" is a very small worry. Only my nieces 12 year old friend didn't exactly get it and that's another thing. She wasn't Dune's target audience. 70% of Dune's actual audience was over 25yrs and 30% under but I bet its GA friendliness drastically diminishes when getting under 18-20yr demo.

42 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I remember seeing that there are something like 70-90 minutes extra materials and plenty of scenes cut like one 10-15 minute scene(s) that are now left to the Part 2 and probably were thought as an alternative ending earlier.

...and I guess the dinner scene was Dune's Tom Bombadil.

Edited by von Kenni
Bombadil!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Honestly, they could made the last scene more emotional and conclusive by...... 

Hide contents

Having Paul shed tears over his first killing, so as to "give moisture" over the fallen. 

Heard that was in the books. 

I think they should  let Paul fight

Spoiler

a more significant character, instead of some random challenger. By doing so, his transformation feel more bloody and impactful.  

10 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Hide contents

Having Paul shed tears over his first killing, so as to "give moisture" over the fallen. 

Yes

he makes a speech which was a custom - everyone says they were friends of the deceased - but then starts to cry which they took as a massive honor cause he was giving his moisture. Remember when Stilgar spit when he met the Duke? Since their daily routine revolves around preserving moisture and moisture and water are most valuable possessions, giving it freely (spitting, tears) is considered an enormous act of generosity and respect.

@von Kenni I always expected Fenrings aka dinner to be Bombadil'd because that didn't go anywhere anyway. 

@titanic2187

there's no other character. Paul just met the Fremen. Stilgar believed in him as a potential Lisan Al Gaib, Jamis didn't. Paul didn't have to know Jamis by that point. In fact, it made sense that Jamis was like, what is this shit? We take the water from Outsiders (means kill them and turn them into water) but we are going to pass on these 2 cause of some misplaced belief? I'll prove you that he's no more Lisan Al Gaib than any of us. 

So the point wasn't fighting a significant character but that he made his first kill or Paul dies Muad'dib is born, honored the Fremen culture by accepting the challenge ("he'll know our customs") and convinced them that he could be the Mahdi which saved him and his mother.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes

Reveal hidden contents

@von Kenni I always expected Fenrings aka dinner to be Bombadil'd because that didn't go anywhere anyway. 

@titanic2187

Hide contents

there's no other character. Paul just met the Fremen. Stilgar believed in him as a potential Lisan Al Gaib, Jamis didn't. Paul didn't have to know Jamis by that point. In fact, it made sense that Jamis was like, what is this shit? We take the water from Outsiders (means kill them and turn them into water) but we are going to pass on these 2 cause of some misplaced belief? I'll prove you that he's no more Lisan Al Gaib than any of us. 

So the point wasn't fighting a significant character but that he made his first kill or Paul dies Muad'dib is born, honored the Fremen culture by accepting the challenge ("he'll know our customs") and convinced them that he could be the Mahdi which saved him and his mother.

Spoiler

It doesn't have to be other character, it can still be Jamis but more screentimes or interaction between Paul and Jamis before the duel. The movie kill off too many other characters before the final duel, making it our hero fighting off with some random dude (before majority can recognize or even remember his name) in the final act felt anti-climatic. But this will lead to another issue inevitably, can mainstream audience accept the story where main protagonist killing off a decent character??   

45 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Reveal hidden contents

That scene would chronologically come after the end of the movie, so I assume it will be in Part 2

They better begin this fast, Very rare I see Part 1 and 2 story have interval longer than 2 years. Pirate of Caribbean 2&3, HP 7.1 and 7.2, HG3.1 and 3.2, LOTR trilogy , all have sequel 1 year after the predecessor, excluding those film with complete standalone story. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

They better begin this fast, Very rare I see Part 1 and 2 story have interval longer than 2 years. Pirate of Caribbean 2&3, HP 7.1 and 7.2, HG3.1 and 3.2, LOTR trilogy , all have sequel 1 year after the predecessor, excluding those film with complete standalone story. 

It's slated for Oct. 2023.

• Like 1