CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

19 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Freman culture is influenced by Islam and doing the J word, no?

Fremen ideology is primarily derived from Sunni Islam and Zen Buddhism with some bits of Catholicism. And yes, the word jihad comes up about 30 times in the original novel (used interchangeably with but much more often than crusade, which appears three times).

33 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

kind of intrigued to see Denis Villeneuve go full action mode lol, Nolan is not too good at that. 

This is not happening, he's just trying to make people that find it slow excited because Part I doesn't have much action at all.

I'm sure the sequel will be gigantic having massive action sequences and won't have to introduce so many new concepts, but definitely not full action mode. I bet it will have 3 hours and around 2 will be development since he have new characters to introduce and a whole political perspective to work on it.

Amazon's best-selling fiction books for the week ending 10/24 (includes all formats; hardcovers, paperbacks, e-books, audiobooks, etc) 

1. Dune (24 weeks on the list, up 3 spots from last week)

13. Dune Messiah (first week on the list)

Amazon's most-read fiction books for the week ending 10/24:

1. Dune (40 weeks on the list, up 1 spot from last week)

Within the next few days Comichron will have September's comic book and graphic novel retail sales. I'm interested to see if they increase in the run-up to the film's release as the books have.

These are the totals from the last few months for Dune comics. This only includes US physical retail sales (so not digital comics, subscriptions, direct sales from the publisher's site, Amazon, etc) and it only includes titles that actually sold enough to make the charts:

June - $147,876.61 (1 new monthly release, 4 second printings of back issues, 2 SKUs of one hardcover collection)

July - $138,527.30 (1 new one-shot release, residual sales of the previous hardcover release)

August - $61,132.49 (1 new monthly release)

• Like 1

Well I for one am pleasantly surprised by greenlighting of part 2. Two years ago it seemed like a distant chance to me. As good results in Europe followed this September that became quite a plausible outcome. And as decent results in US and other markets came cam this past week we finally saw the money is there to warrant part 2.

What it all also suggests is two more things: 1) That Dune's monetary injection and popularity injection into HBO Max is worth quite a bit to WB. Probably equivalent to tens of millions of profit from BO rentals. (rather than just millions)

and 2) That at least part of the effect of the Pandemic causing people to stay out of the cinemas is compensated by those same people paying for seeing those same movies later on via pay per view and other streaming/home entertainment options. So movies of the last 2 years probably have a noticeable uptick in home entertainment earnings, which helps even out drops in BO earnings.

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Freman culture is influenced by Islam and doing the J word, no?

Jihad. It has a word. Please don't censor yourself like a child living under a dictatorship. 

Why the hell would that word even be censored by you? It's similar to censoring the word Crusades.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Jihad. It has a word. Please don't censor yourself like a child living under a dictatorship. 

Why the hell would that word even be censored by you? It's similar to censoring the word Crusades.

alrighty then  

ASCa5I4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm this close to booking a ticket to rewatch the movie in 1.43 IMAX this Saturday. Idk, anyone know who has seen the movie in a regular cinema know what the movie looks like in-scope? I'm just not sure if it's worth another $20 when I can watch it for free at a Regal cinema (because I'm subscribed to their unlimited pass).

Edit: Also, I do have to say, really impressive how the seats for the shows I looked at for this weekend are almost as full as last weekend.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm this close to booking a ticket to rewatch the movie in 1.43 IMAX this Saturday. Idk, anyone know who has seen the movie in a regular cinema know what the movie looks like in-scope? I'm just not sure if it's worth another $20 when I can watch it for free at a Regal cinema (because I'm subscribed to their unlimited pass).

Edit: Also, I do have to say, really impressive how the seats for the shows I looked at for this weekend are almost as full as last weekend.

If you have a theater that you know for sure has a dual-laser “GT” projector and a 1.43:1 aspect ratio screen then 100% go. 

The IMAX website has a list if you're unsure.

Experience Dune with up to 40% More Picture, Only in Select IMAX® Theatres | IMAX

Jihad in Dune is a Holy War in the name of the Messiah led by the Messiah. That's really it. Now, the twist is that the prophecy of the Messiah (Lisan Al Gaib) was not real. It was planted by the Bene Gesserit as a part of their Missionaria Protectiva, basically a superstition that protected their members should they find themselves there among possibly hostile population. It's acknowledged in the movie in Paul/Jessica conversation about what LAG meant. 

But anyway, what happened is that the male Bene Gesserit aka Kwisatz Haderach was born a generation earlier, and therefore he came to Arakis as a part of the planet handover from one House to another. So the superstitious population saw him as Lisan Al Gaib and that set off the events. In translation, LAG was never supposed to come because he wasn't real. But coincidently, someone who came had all the traits that the Messiah was supposed to have and boom, fake prophecy became a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Likewise, Kwisatz Haderach himself was meant to be just that, a more powerful Bene Gesserit who had access to both male and female ancestor's memories and prescience (can see the future). Bene Gesserit could only access female memories and were not prescient, which is why they had to genetically engineer a male version. But he was never meant to be LAG. These 2 things were never meant to be connected until chance connected them and set off the jihad. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone pitches that to the studio heads.

"So you have a new Dune movie for us. What's it about?"

We need them to make the movie so we can get the Ryan George sketch

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't do PLFs because I'm a cheapskate and I still think this looked incredible on a smaller, flat screen. The world of Arrakis is just so haunting and ethereal and the story is so compelling that it's easy to get sucked in regardless of the screen size.

And also Timothee's so beautiful that he shines on any and every format, so you should be good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've seen it in IMAX, on a regular screen, and at home.  My opinion is that it's very good on any screen, but in IMAX it's a 2.5 hour long full body high.

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He will probably make nothing but Dune films for rest of his life like Cameron with Avatar

He will probably give the reigns to another director and remain as executive producer.

I would love for Dune to become like the Harry Potter series, every 2-3 years a new movie in the series following the story of the books.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Rewatched it again last night and enjoyed it even more, just a fantastic movie. Probably the best example of big budget world building since Fury Road. However I still think the last half-hour or so feels a little anti-climactic.

Also not a huge complaint by any means but I still don't buy Timothy Charmander and Jason Mimosa being best bros at all. That first scene they share together, both times I watched it I was just thinking "Why are you friends with this little weenie?" Like at least with Luke Skywalker and Han Solo you get to see them bond.

Edited by MOVIEGUY