Jump to content
CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Rewatched it again last night and enjoyed it even more, just a fantastic movie. Probably the best example of big budget world building since Fury Road. However I still think the last half-hour or so feels a little anti-climactic.

 

Also not a huge complaint by any means but I still don't buy Timothy Charmander and Jason Mimosa being best bros at all. That first scene they share together, both times I watched it I was just thinking "Why are you friends with this little weenie?" Like at least with Luke Skywalker and Han Solo you get to see them bond.

Funny cause they're actually good friends IRL apparently. The obvious answer to that question is that he's his lord's son, and you want to be in the good graces of the noble family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Funny cause they're actually good friends IRL apparently. The obvious answer to that question is that he's his lord's son, and you want to be in the good graces of the noble family.

 

That makes sense on paper (and again this isn't a big deal) but just the way they were playing these two characters I didn't buy them as genuine best friends. Like when Paul starts whining about his dream Duncan should have rolled his eyes and said been like "ALRIGHT TELL ME ALL ABOUT YOUR DREAM CAUSE I'M JUST DYING TO KNOW"

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He will probably make nothing but Dune films for rest of his life like Cameron with Avatar

 

whats more valuable spice or unobtainium?

 

13 hours ago, famicommander said:

Fremen ideology is primarily derived from Sunni Islam and Zen Buddhism with some bits of Catholicism. And yes, the word jihad comes up about 30 times in the original novel (used interchangeably with but much more often than crusade, which appears three times).

 

wouldn't surprise me if they start removing/replacing jihad in newer book copies if they haven't already

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Avatar Legion said:

We’ve come this far, God-Emperor or bust :Venom: 

Whom among us has not wet dreamed their way into becoming God Emperor? :sparta:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Villenueve is gonna make a Paul Autrides trilogy.

Also i don't think warner plans are to follow the books. They're gonna explore the universe in a different way. The last books of the series are not that appreciated or famous. 

From what villenueve said in some interview even for the second book he has some different ideas from the original source. 

Edited by vale900
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to have seen even more character moments. I'm sure they have enough material for an extended cut. Alas, Villeneuve doesn't seem to be fond of doing one. :(

 

sikqggATBZB3NGrkXgpy_lhXmlgAKaQuKHE2i3n3

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul doesn't have any friends of his own. Gurney Halleck, Duncan Idaho, Dr. Yueh, and Thufir Hawat are the only people besides his parents he was ever allowed to have extended interactions with his entire life. He has a special bond with Duncan because Duncan is the most youthful and and friendly of that group by quite a big margin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, famicommander said:

Paul doesn't have any friends of his own. Gurney Halleck, Duncan Idaho, Dr. Yueh, and Thufir Hawat are the only people besides his parents he was ever allowed to have extended interactions with his entire life. He has a special bond with Duncan because Duncan is the most youthful and and friendly of that group by quite a big margin.

He also has good connection with Gurney, but I don't think the movie quite nailed it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Last Man Standing said:

He also has good connection with Gurney, but I don't think the movie quite nailed it.

He has a good connection with all four of them. That's why Yueh's betrayal and Thufir's ultimate fate carry so much weight in the story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is not happening, he's just trying to make people that find it slow excited because Part I doesn't have much action at all.

 

I'm sure the sequel will be gigantic having massive action sequences and won't have to introduce so many new concepts, but definitely not full action mode. I bet it will have 3 hours and around 2 will be development since he have new characters to introduce and a whole political perspective to work on it.

It's not a sequel,it's the second half of a novel. Big difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Villenueve is gonna make a Paul Autrides trilogy.

Also i don't think warner plans are to follow the books. They're gonna explore the universe in a different way. The last books of the series are not that appreciated or famous. 

From what villenueve said in some interview even for the second book he has some different ideas from the original source. 

Frankly, after Children of Dune, the quality of the novels drops off sharply. The ones after Frank Herbert died are pretty much junk.

I hope that......

Spoiler

I hope that Villenueve is not planning on giving Dune Messiah a happy ending. I can see making changes, but he should keep the fate of Paul the same as in the novel.

I see we are headed for a LOTR style "Purist vs Revisionist" war here. 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, famicommander said:

He has a good connection with all four of them. That's why Yueh's betrayal and Thufir's ultimate fate carry so much weight in the story.

Yeah, that was one aspect I missed here. Thufir really suffered from the cutting of the intrigue/plotting portions of the novel, guess the movie would've been too long otherwise though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.