CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Watching this movie on edibles at the IMAX was one of the most insane moviegoing experiences I've ever had. Kind of obsessed with this movie now. I was a little underwhelmed at first and now I can't stop thinking about it.

The music was so fucking loud. The scene where this played nearly gave me a heart attack holy lord

This scene right here. This is where the movie starts getting GOOOD. These big setpieces played so much more intensely on the IMAX screen (and on drugs). Even the thopter crash, which I barely remember the first time I watched it, was incredibly intense.

sub-buzz-491-1635196804-5.jpg?crop=1280:

Also I want one of those pea coat things that Oscar Isaac and Timothee Chalamet wear on Caladan in the graveyard.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

has DUNC passed 300M WW? Should have no?

Yes, on Monday I think.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/dune-crosses-300-million-global-box-office-1234866440/

4 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Watching this movie on edibles at the IMAX was one of the most insane moviegoing experiences I've ever had. Kind of obsessed with this movie now. I was a little underwhelmed at first and not I can't stop thinking about it.

The music was so fucking loud. The scene where this played nearly gave me a heart attack holy lord

This scene right here. This is where the movie starts getting GOOOD. This big setpieces played so much more intensely on the IMAX screen (and on drugs). Even the thopter crash, which I barely remember the first time I watched it, was incredibly intense.

sub-buzz-491-1635196804-5.jpg?crop=1280:

Also I want one of those pea coat things that Oscar Isaac and Timothee Chalamet wear on Caladan in the graveyard.

Yeah, I can imagine a bit edibles going well with Dune...

Tried to add an image to show how closely Dune follows NTTD's legs in box office but couldn't get the "Insert image from URL" work. Size shouldn't be a problem and used .jpg. Anyways, they are almost exactly the same. Only bigger variation was NTTD's 2nd weekend drop that was smaller but even after that Dune has made small gains to stay on track with NTTD's legs. This weekend they are going to probably depart more since NTTD's 3rd weekend drop was only 49%. With Eternals coming and IMAXs gone, Dune is going to have a bigger drop.

This review echoes my feelings in this movie perfectly. I would rather have more Valerian than Dune. Frankly, Valerian deserved same if not more box office than Dune.

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/denis-villeneuves-dune-is-another-in-a-long-range-of-films-that-have-simply-sucked-the-soul-and-joy-out-of-sci-fi-10105211.html

19 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This review echoes my feelings in this movie perfectly. I would rather have more Valerian than Dune. Frankly, Valerian deserved same if not more box office than Dune.

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/denis-villeneuves-dune-is-another-in-a-long-range-of-films-that-have-simply-sucked-the-soul-and-joy-out-of-sci-fi-10105211.html

I think there has been a lot of discussion here reflecting this. I can understand the need for more humour, and more humorous, warmer, expressive, and simply life tasting scifi. In Dune's case it is dark, especially the first part where it is about the impending doom and Paul's anxiety of what he is, or what he might become (a destroyer of worlds igniting a galactic Jihad killing a trillion people). So overall the movie portrays this perfectly. Also the acting reflects the reserved noble people or the bene gesserit teachings of controlling one's emotions (I was rather feeling Jessica too emotional at times...).

It is a valid point of wanting as a viewer more life tasting scifi. Dune isn't for everyone.

I think there are two other factors working beneath the surface. One, cultural background gives us all the idea of what is humour, what kind of expressiveness we expect in each context, and so on. That is something that changes slowly. Secondly, I cannot help but to think that how the constant bombardment of instant gratification through social media, faster paced video clips, mobile games, MCU movies have also affected us all and making everything that used to be okay, more slow, dry, lifeless, and cold.

Because of my cultural background, and probably because consciously limiting my daily instant gratifications (+gone through a "dopamine rehab"), I didn't find Dune the way as portrayed in the review. There might be that cultural difference in play but I also think he is feeling the anxiety and hopelessness of modern times, and would want to counter that with more light hearted scifi providing more fun escapism. For me, Dune had its humour in small instances like the "have you grown muscle" or the locker room talk "have you gone native" which accurately portray the humour and actual human beings in oppressive times as I have experienced in military. I also felt the warmth between the characters. I don't normally like the "pale" colour scheme but in dune the colours were perfect reflecting the story, atmosphere, and the colourlessness of a sunny desert. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I loved Dune and Valerian the same way :fry:

With Valerian I have a black hole in my brain. I barely remember anything about it but I guess it's because I had so high hopes for it. I loved the Fifth Element and Valerian was probably the scifi film that I was looking forward to seeing the most after Dune. Like Jupiter Ascending it descended into oblivion.

I have a pretty easy taste for sci-fi (maybe movies in general), loving both the quirky colorful stuff and the doom & gloom from Denis Villeneuve. I'm glad that i'm that way because i get to experience and enjoy so many different styles and spectrums of emotion. The only movie in recent memories i found hard to sat through was Transformers 5 (childhood franchise). It was just noises and pixels. Real nausea. 

Other than that, i just wish that there are more movies that are fully committed in its style and not having any compromises just for the sake of checking boxes. 

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ando said:

It had a fantastic $5.6M Monday overseas, but no numbers released since. Curious to know! Could be over $310M worldwide before the weekend. 

Yes, it will be over.

3 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I have a pretty easy taste for sci-fi (maybe movies in general), loving both the quirky colorful stuff and the doom & gloom from Denis Villeneuve. I'm glad that i'm that way because i get to experience and enjoy so many different styles and spectrums of emotion. The only movie in recent memories i found hard to sat through was Transformers 5 (childhood franchise). It was just noises and pixels. Real nausea. 

Other than that, i just wish that there are more movies that are fully committed in its style and not having any compromises just for the sake of checking boxes. 

I wish that too, to have a diversity of different kind of movies true to their stories and for different tastes.

Just a small addition for the "spectrums of emotions", maybe we are discussing more about the expression of emotions. We each filter the same expression of emotion differently, like in the case of Dune. For some, it feels cold, for some, it can be warm. Then another subject is what is more authentic or real. That very much depends on the context, the story itself with its settings and cultural background.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Was on two edibles while watching Dune  for the 2nd time.  It was fucking great haha

I saw Avatar in 3D on mescaline. Was quite a ride. I'll wait for the second part to come out before I try visiting Arrakis on anything mind altering.

1 hour ago, ando said:

For some reason Dune is not giving up IMAX screens to Eternals at the two downtown Toronto Cineplex theaters next week. I'm gonna go again on Monday :OMG:

A true IMAX too!

Good for them.  They know this movie deserves some more time... I haven't even seen it, yet...

6 hours ago, ando said:

For some reason Dune is not giving up IMAX screens to Eternals at the two downtown Toronto Cineplex theaters next week. I'm gonna go again on Monday :OMG:

A true IMAX too!

There was a tweet about Cineplex cancelling Eternals IMAX and putting Dune back on. You can't defeat St Denis on his territory. :Gaga:

• Haha 3