CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

WTF No sandworms in the first movie?  at 3:20 he's asked about it and he says no worms. That would be a HUGE mistake

Villeneuve said they spent a year designing the worm a few months back

We talked about every little detail that would make such a beast possible, from the texture of the skin, to the way the mouth opens, to the system to eat its food in the sand,” Villeneuve said to Empire. “It was a year of work to design and to find the perfect shape that looked prehistoric enough.

if there are no sandworms in the first movie than

how are they going to do the ornitopher scene? That's where they get the first look at the worm. It's essential. It isn't just a money shot but literally pivotal moment in the story.

Also, when Jessica and Paul are in the desert. But ornitopher is, like, the scene to introduce the worm.

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That article says that the trailer says it was filmed in IMAX. But IMDB states that they used the normal Arri Alexas for this film and not the IMAX-branded one use in the last two Avengers movies. 

It's the Top Gun: Maverick thing - 'IMAX certification' where you get to have a 'filmed in IMAX' badge (as opposed to 'shot with IMAX cameras like on 70mm or the IMAX-branded Alexa 65s) if you use their post production tech and have the aspect ratio,

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, antovolk said:

It's the Top Gun: Maverick thing - 'IMAX certification' where you get to have a 'filmed in IMAX' badge (as opposed to 'shot with IMAX cameras like on 70mm or the IMAX-branded Alexa 65s) if you use their post production tech and have the aspect ratio,

Yeah but the Arri Alexa LF is a normal digital camera and not IMAX certified. The Invisible Man used it just this year and that film wasn't marketed as "filmed in IMAX".

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah but the Arri Alexa LF is a normal digital camera and not IMAX certified. The Invisible Man used it just this year and that film wasn't marketed as "filmed in IMAX".

Not just about the cameras, it's about the post production too. Top Gun shot on the Sony Venice and they managed to get that certified. Evidently they did it for this too - and I can confirm for real that the teaser has 'FILMED IN IMAX' at the end.

• Like 1

The IMAX certification is mostly just branding. The Alexa LF is a full-sensor large format camera; similar to the Alexa-65 (though that’s wider since it was designed to emulate a traditional 65mm camera). The LF sensor is significantly larger than 4-perf 35mm — though of course it’s also significantly smaller than 15/70 film. 

If you’re shooting digitally, most of these large format digital cameras should yield

a nice image comparable to each other. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The IMAX certification is mostly just branding. The Alexa LF is a full-sensor large format camera; similar to the Alexa-65 (though that’s wider since it was designed to emulate a traditional 65mm camera). The LF sensor is significantly larger than 4-perf 35mm — though of course it’s also significantly smaller than 15/70 film. 

If you’re shooting digitally, most of these large format digital cameras should yield

a nice image comparable to each other. 

Exactly, though that's actually a good point, I do wonder whether they might go the full 1.43:1 for the IMAX sequences in this given it's the Alexa LF's native open gate aspect ratio.  Then again since I think this is being filmed with anamorphic lenses (according to the clapperboards Fraser posted)...that on a 1.43 sensor will give you something close to 1.9:1, and Top Gun went for that anyway though the Venice is like 1.5:1 natively.

38 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Exactly, though that's actually a good point, I do wonder whether they might go the full 1.43:1 for the IMAX sequences in this given it's the Alexa LF's native open gate aspect ratio.  Then again since I think this is being filmed with anamorphic lenses (according to the clapperboards Fraser posted)...that on a 1.43 sensor will give you something close to 1.9:1, and Top Gun went for that anyway though the Venice is like 1.5:1 natively.

I suppose we’ll find out. :lol: 

Yeah outside of 70MM IMAX, IMAX is mostly just diluted branding like @Plain Old Tele said.

Even with the sensor size's; digital photography relies a lot on really great lighting, proper grading of RAW footage and choice of lenses. All modern ones can provide similar results to each other, it comes down to who's behind the camera and cinematographic process. I mean look at Blade Runner 2049 (For a lot of people the best looking film ever, certainly up there) which was shot on the Arri Alexa Mini and has a smaller sensor than the big boys and a 3.4K resolution. 

-The branding is even more diluted in that we've got the Arri IMAX branded camera (the modified Alexa 65) so film's like Avengers can say they're shot on IMAX.

-Now the IMAX-certified cameras like the Sony Venice so they can say they're shot on IMAX even without the brand name. 

-Then we've got formatted for IMAX which is just opening up the matte box to the Digital IMAX ratio. Most films are shot in a larger ratio for safety and reframing in post but the director and cinematographer will frame for whatever ratio they've decided (usually widescreen since the matte is opening up). (I think only two films have opened up to the full IMAX ratio largely because they're entirely digital environments).

-Then there's the slew of films that scream go see in IMAX without any of the above, IMAX branded posters etc. Despite being fairly standard in how they're shot and mastered (tech specs/ratio etc). 

I love 70MM IMAX, but I'm not sure what IMAX is any more outside of that. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 3