CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The music was a nod to Jodorowsky's Dune (Pink Floyd).

That's kind of cool, even though it ruins the trailer for me. 😄

After multiple viewings i'm starting to get over it, though. Hopefully we'll get another trailer sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Looks good, but frankly this will not be as big as the studio is hoping. It is very hard to make the audience interested in a sci-fi movie that's not star wars / marvel/ DC.

No idea how people not knowing the source material nor the earlier filmed version will react as I do know the books (in a way, as I think I read over 40y back an early version, I think it was not as long as the later versions or it was a strange abridged translated version or whatever, but I do own the box now too, still have not read at least some of the later parts or was then too tired whilst reading to remember, what is know to happen if I am really tired, see insomnia), the movie and the mini-series, but I feel especially the trailer could visually appeal to e.g. Star Wars fans as well, see the ~ desert planet, the monster in the sand, and the ~ tests the lead gets through might have a hint of part V in it, and still separate enough to not give a copy of... impression. 

Btw, I like the trailer, but am not sure about the music, fpr a trailer it might appeal to people not being me, but I do hope that kind of music wont get used in the movie, like at all. The material seems to be e.g. too timeless and too far away from e.g. pop-culture .... to invite ~ songs. E.g. the first Avenger movie, when IM uses it in the scene where he meets CA for the first time, there its ~ natural to use ‘songs’, for material like Dune it seems to me to be ~ false.

Not sure what the studio is hoping for money wise, but in nowadays times (as long as the situation is so... instabile) no movie will make even 25% of what it could have reached per theatrical release even with an established in the actual generation franchise I think, so that might be a mood point for a time anyway. 

What could help is, the source material includes at least a bit of other, non-western world typical input, is old enough and renowned since a long time too to have reached some areas on earth other materials might not have reached, should have reached at least older people, not sure about the actual YA ones. Means I do hope for a healthy in comparison curiosity about the movie in non-English speaking countries, if thet wont bug the advertisements there (as they too often do).

The book (part one) is also acc Wiki (in 2003) the most sold Sci-Fi book worldwide (to be found there in the first chapter, I did not read the complete entry). Not sure about that, but it is - worldwide - at least one of the most often sold Sci-Fi books.

For that the actual situation might even help a bit, as I think the last few months at least a part of the people read more than usual (I know I did, in especial audio-books whilst working = for the manual work part, and because we do try to not work together in one room as far as possible, means a bit boring per less interaction with people = already new personal record per year, I am actually in per having read / heard way over 250 books in 2020), so if someone thinks about reading some, he/she might look up bestselling Sci-Fi books, if interested into that genre, who knows?

Back to work, its nearly 10 o’clock (22:00) in the evening here...

• Like 1

Good trailer. Keeps the plot details incredibly vague. Almost too vague, tbh. I understand why they kept the House Harkonnen aspect at a minimum. Paul is a handsome protagonist with familiar resolutions. It's easier to grab the general audience's attention. It seems to have worked based on view count.

cool trailer and looks visually pleasing. although I still have no idea what the plot is about but I'm loving the Zendaya/Chalamet shots. Denis Villeneuve is my fav director so i have blind faith in anything he does but this looks quite different than his earlier works. in terms of scale it's different than Arrival or BR2049

I think I will start reading the novel before this comes out in December/January/February.

• Like 2