CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

..... December blockbusters tend to be more along of the lines of VFX driven event movies, or movies that are generally supposed to just be whimsical and fun. 

I‘d add a tendency to ~ known/familiar properties and/or franchises too, like ‘more-than-one-part’ movies and/or rather well known book series too. Also see Titanic, sometimes a historical event that’s very well known.

That do have the tendency for lots of VFX in especial nowadays = not excluding....

Maybe based on the family goes together during that time, including the fathers (yes, I know its a cliché, but for some its sadly still true, I could/want to scream at certain parents at the school I work for based on that - too often its the mothers and not the fathers that actively try to hinder their daughters to join a ‘male’ subject or interest, including books and movies), something familiar in name at least might help to find a common interest pick.

In principal I see Sci-Fi (space opera a big part of those) and fantasy as major X-Mas/Holiday genres (release date before New Years Eve), inhowfar people see SH movies as Sci-Fi too seems to differ. A lot.

Titanic was released in December because the studio expected to lose money and that was the only leggy season with lower competition (although it opened against Bond so not entirely competition-free). Basically a desperate move. Which paid off in an unprecedented way that also changed the industry view of December slot, female audience, long movies, etc. That it won record-tying 11 Oscars also made the month a popular spot for epic movies with awards aspirations (see LOTR trilogy, Django Uncahined, Wolf of Wall Street). So Dune fit that bill but my guess is that Spiderman 3 taking Dec 2021 spot worked against full year delay. So WB went with another lucrative month where their own Gravity and Joker did spectacular business. However, those 2 releases followed the sizzling fall festival buzz. Very doubtful that Dune will take festival route in 2021 if it wasn't meant to do so in 2020.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Titanic was released in December because the studio expected to lose money and that was the only leggy season with lower competition (although it opened against Bond so not entirely competition-free). Basically a desperate move. Which paid off in an unprecedented way that also changed the industry view of December slot, female audience, long movies, etc. That it won record-tying 11 Oscars also made the month a popular spot for epic movies with awards aspirations (see LOTR trilogy, Django Uncahined, Wolf of Wall Street). So Dune fit that bill but my guess is that Spiderman 3 taking Dec 2021 spot worked against full year delay. So WB went with another lucrative month where their own Gravity and Joker did spectacular business. However, those 2 releases followed the sizzling fall festival buzz. Very doubtful that Dune will take festival route in 2021 if it wasn't meant to do so in 2020.

At this point, we have to accept that any date is subject to change. With more 2021 movies pushed to 2022, it's clear that delays in production are also a factor, and there is still late 2020/early 2021 product that will most likely not end up in exhibition, thus further changing the schedule.

Until there is clarity regarding a return to normalcy (be it through an approximate date for wide distribution of a vaccine, or everyone throwing their hands in the air come Jan, after Trump is inaugurated again and we a ll say "Fuck it, it is what it is") everything is in flux and we will see far more date changes, and that's without the complication of cinema chains restructuring/closing down for good/merging/selling off etc. which will delay full re-openings as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Scriptshadow  reviews the DUNE script. Not good...My old nemesis Spaiths strikes again

http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-dune-2021/

If you want to get a real feeling about the small amount (in relation) the pre-filming script has on the endproduct, watch at first Buffy the Vapire Slayer - the movie, and then the TV-series of the same name. And than watch Joss Whedon when he tells how he literally cried about how the director... of the movie - in my POV in a way even destroyed - mangled his script.

That goes or can go both ways in general.

Actor’s abilities, chemnistry, director’s ability and creative power, producers, studio bosses... (bad example: T. Rothman) are usually way more impacting = whatever you didn’t like of his past work, was it him or others that did not do as you wished for? He has a rather short list, that does not sound like he has a lot of ~ input-power.

Beside that, I am not a fan of judging before having seen the final product myself, and am not a fan of websites who like to pick at parts of the sum before the products is even finished. It might be not that good, it might be excellent, we will see... way later.

Finished reading the script. 

No spoiler review: it's faithful to the book to a degree. I can see many fans not being happy with this though which will be explained in the spoiler version. It also feels very much like Part 1. The ending is awkward to say the least.

I don't see any acting nominations. Characters are just there, move the plot and spout exposition but don't really have much of a character. They are warmer than in the book which is good. 

Tons of stuff happens yet the middle really drags. If you didn't like TPM trade talk, you will suffer through this for it's trade x 1000. 

It's much lower on philosophy than one would expect. Dialog remains rather stilted.

Paul and Jessica are the largest roles. Leto right behind them but he is so boring and the reason for middle drag. Duncan has 2  great action scenes but isn't in the movie much. Chani is barely in the movie and only serves as a fast-baked love interest. Romance is awful like in the book.

I followed the script easily because I read the book but this is really a Harry Potter movie - Greatest Hits Digest. If you didn't read the source, you will be confused. Too many characters, and despite tons of exposition, not that well explained universe.

the cut off is after Jessica takes the water of life. It ends with Paul and Chani having sex. Literally like that. Chalamet has a vision of the future, wakes up on his back and sees that Zendaya is riding him. She says all his names, Paul, Usul, Muad'dib, Lisan al-Gaib, Mahdi, and that's the end.

There's no Navigator so book fans will be pissed. No Corrinos, no Feyd though he is mentioned. 

Paul has a vision of himself as a blind man in the desert. This is from Dune Messiah. It was never part of Dune. So it seems that they are hinting at more sequels. EDIT: there's also vision of Chani giving birth which I read as the pregnancy with the twins that killed her in Messiah. 

Alia is shown in a vision as well. She says "I'm sorry Grandfather" to Baron after killing him but it isn't explicitly said anywhere that Baron is Jessica's father. Unlike the book.

There's no "Friend of Jamis". Paul kills Jamis, Jessica asks him how it feels to be a killer, he starts to cry and Fremen touch his face because he gave his water for Jamis. It's the scene from the end of the trailer when they tap his back. Disappointing cause that's a rousing scene in the book.

Jessica's Agony sounds really blah. It shows turn pale and then turn healthy again. A little bit of some psychodelic imagery in her head but no reaching to baby Alia! WTF?

Good scenes that made it into the movie: The test, the training, Stilgar spit, Shadout gives crysknife to Jessica, Paul saves Shadout from Hunter-killer, the tooth, Duncan vs Sardaukar (twice!), Paul and Jessica see worm riders. I don't know why this wasn't the last scene instead of Paul and Chani sex lmao!

No one really stands out. 

Kynes death is changed somewhat which makes sense. Instead of being sucked in by the spice bubble, she and her killer are swallowed by a worm. No mention that she is Chani's mother.

Too much empty walk which is the problem that faithful adaptations suffer. For example, when Paul and Jessica get dropped in the desert, they are found by Duncan, taken to a shelter, only to be dropped in the desert again. Nothing is really achieved here except that it leads to Duncan vs 20 Sardaukar but that doesn't move the story forward. 

If you have any questions, put spoiler tags for the uninitiated and I'll answer in tags as well.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

The script just heightens my interest more.

do you think it's possible that

they will merge Dune and Dune Messiah and call the second movie Dune Messiah? Visions of blind Paul and Chani giving birth [that kills her in Messiah] kinda imply they could do that. Reasons: not much happens plotwise after the time jump (after the events covered in Pt 1). Everyone prepares for the battle, battle happens, people die, Paul becomes the Emperor. Now, I get that they'll have to deal with the Corrinos and Feyd in Pt 2, but considering how much they crammed up in Pt 1, this is nothing. So they could expand into Messiah territory and end with blind Paul going into the desert. or they are just hinting at that they would continue beyond Pt 2 and adapt other books.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, Warmaster506 said:

The script just heightens my interest more.

I dpon't bother with script reviews, because

A;The scripts reviewed are often early versions when have big changes as the process goes on  and

B. As George Clooney siad, You can have the best script in the world and still  find a hundred ways to fuck up a movie, A good script  ie the foundation of any good movie, but it alone is not sufficent.

Good to hear that Baron impressed. The script didn't give him much to do but scripts tend to come off dry. It's really important to nail his character so praise is exciting. Does anyone have links to Letterbox reviews? Please PM me if you don't want to post here. :)

Edited by Valonqar